f450 battery mount - bottom plate

Hi all

Doing a tear down and rebuild on my dji f450 this week. Wondering how every one who has mounted the battery on the bottom plate has done so?

Is there any benefit in your opinion, of doing so besides a better looking quad?

Thanks

Inherent mechanical stability of an aircraft is improved by means of wing dihedral and/or lowering the center of gravity, e.g, lowering the battery. A battery on top reduces inherent mechanical stability making the IMU work harder to compensate. Battery on the bottom also needs landing gear to prevent battery from a puncture on hard landings. Ideally the center of gravity should be in the middle of the IMU which is inside the Naza controller.

Wow, you explain it so well, i didnt know where to start!

Now, if any one has any pics or can lead me in the rite direction? The issue on a 450 is you cant just strap the lipo to the bottom board as the battery strap would need to rest ontop of the naza

any help would be much apreciated

Wow, you explain it so well, i didnt know where to start!

Now, if any one has any pics or can lead me in the rite direction? The issue on a 450 is you cant just strap the lipo to the bottom board as the battery strap would need to rest ontop of the naza

any help would be much apreciated

What i was thinking was using 4x stand -offs too add a carbon fibre plate about 2-3 mm below the bottom board, just big enough to get a battery strap between the bottom board and the fabricated carbon plate?

any one tried- done this.. Landing gear is not an issue for me. I have one already

skipper1

I don't know of anyone using stand-offs for the Naza, that's not to say it won't work.

If you put a GoPro on the front, you can use your battery to slide front or back to help counter balance. Y'll want to use velcro on the bottom plate and on your battery, that way all you'll need is a strap on the back to secure the battery. That seems to work for me.

Skipper, i dont see why using standoffs wouldnt work.. only a small one on a cf plate just to mount the naza 3mm off the bottom board and between the top board.. so essentially, i am just moving it up a few mm, say 20mm to slid a battery strap under, and of course velcro on bottom board and lipo. looing for a neat install.. Want to free up some room as fpv is just around the corner

you said look at the batwing yeah?

I mentioned in this post, nothing of the sort for legs or go-pro mount

Idiot, read the post,., ohh and if you read it all, i have a set of crudd legs - do the same as the batwing however better in my opinion, ohh never mentioned mounting a go-pro either

u own the website?

skipper1

Getting your Naza 3mm up off the bottom plate is a good idea, just be careful when drilling the holes as the board is integrated. If you follow through, please post some pictures for the rest of us.

Another idea before drilling, why not try a longer battery strap and just go over the Naza.

I thought of going over the strap too skipper but its an expensive experiment if something goes wrong. i use either a 3s 2200 mha or a 5800 so im concerned that the weight on the naza would be quite excessive with the 5800 if i came down in a hurry.. happy to replace the frame but components are another thing. thats just my opinion. Ill post pics when i decide what to do.. been sitting there since yesterday waiting for me to make a decision. Drilling into the power distribution board is a challenge also as i dont want to short anything.. thats why i was thinking a cf battery tray on standoff's so i can drill the outside of the board, eliminating shorting. nylon standoffs would also work however weight again concerns me..

skipper1

I use 3s 2200 battery and went over the Naza with no problems. Give it a test try before drilling. Another thought, if there is a glue you could depend on not coming loose, you could glue the standoffs. I don't know how that would work but it would be better than drilling. You just want to make sure it is perfectly centered.
I wish Tahoe Ed or Kloner would jump in here as these guys are experts in this kind of thing.

thanks skipper, what props u use with the 3s? i use 8inch however just switched to 9x5 graupners and keen to try

Any one who has done this or similar mod, please let me know

skipper1

You're good to go with the Graupners. I have the 9X5 Graupners as do many on the forum, and since I'm not as experienced at flying as most, I also have some APC 9X5's to practice with.

Your F450 is new, correct? If you're using all stock ESC's, motors & Naza, be sure to do lots of reading on the newer F450's. Some have had problems with the bullet connectors. DesJardins is one of them so be sure to do a search for him. He's a super nice guy and will always help you out. He and I have chosen to use T-Motors, some, like Kloner use Suppo's. Just read and be informed about the motors, connectors and Naza.

Its not new, i brought it about 3mths ago, it has about 50 flights on it now so thats why i am doing a teardown and changing a few things to get it rite for FPV flying. It all works fine

wish anyone has done this type of mod so i could get some pics

So i have come up with a solution
Simple, i will use the large landing gear and screw another plate to the bottom of it. This will let me run the strap where it needs to go

Will complete the re-build tonight and post pics

tstrike

pendejo grande
Have you considered just moving your naza up and using the middle for your batt? There was a guy on here a while back who did some custom plates for his 450. I think he was using some of the top plate screw holes to run standoffs in and covered his naza, with all his vtx stuff on top, looked pretty clean. Just a thought and may you always have soft landings.