ESC Throttle calibration

Hood49

Guys,

I am a bit puzzled here.

I have set up my quad. It goes like a house on fire! However, there is a bit of a wobble when flying. It does not hamper flying but it is a bit annoying. After doing some research I have found out that I did not calibrate my (OPTO)ESC's. So I suppose that is the problem.

No, I have watched some interesting video's on YouTube. They all advise to connect every ESC one by one to the receiver in the throttle port. Fire up my DX6i, leave the throtlle un FULL, connect the Lipo and bring the throttle down. It should beep.

Now I have something strange. When I take out the throttle cable coming from the Naza Lite controller the receiver (AR6210) has no power (the small light does not come on). So there is no way I can calibrate (of course I had removed all the ESC cable from the Naza). All the other wires are still connected to the receiver (ail, elev, rudd,...)

So how can I calibrate?

Tough one..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

brewski

brewski
Opto ESCs don't supply 5V. You will have to make up a lead to connect 5V from FC (or UBec) to power RX & connect common of ESC to common of the 5V.

Hood49

Thanks for the info.

I have connected a plug from the naza to the Rx. Just a dummy to power it. Then connected the ESC directly to the Rx and calibrated. It beeped the way it should beep. I could have kissed it. Super!

No I have to go and fly to see if the wobble has gone!

Cheers.

They dont calibrate , if you follow normal procedure on other ESc you will get to programing mode in the brake off/on feature, not calibration as normally you do on other esc.

Hood49

These are the ESC's I have fitted: http://www.ercmarket.com/programmable-esc-40a-brushless-controller-rct-esc-40a.html. Apparently they are programmed with simonK.
The shop is just around the corner and guy gives me advice as I am a novice.

So I calibrated the ESC and I still have the slight wobble. Weird.

Pete, in regards to the gain settings. I left it all the same in the Naza-Assistant as before when it was configured with 3S, other motors and other ESC's. So I never touched it. Maybe I have to tweak around with this. But I will need some advice. Do you think that the wobble can come from a bad gain setting?

I can post some screen shots of the Naza assistant is that helps?

Thanks for your help

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Screen shot or just post the gains, if you set as per the manual you should be pretty close, Naza's do not need a lot of tweaking.

Hood49

Pete, here a couple of screenshots. Well I am a novice here... I do not know what to tweak. But I have found out that probable the wobble is from the gains...

ScreenShot2014-08-17at090919_zpsf4fec9b4.png

ScreenShot2014-08-17at090934_zpsd753af1a.png

cootertwo

Your images aren't showing, for me, but too high of gains with the Naza's will cause wobbles/oscillations, like you describe. Especially with smaller rigs.:tennis:

Hood49

Thanks for you response:

Weird that the pics are not showing:

Pitch 135, Roll 135, Yaw 130, Vertical 140

Cheers.

cootertwo

If your flying a mini, those gains are way too high. I have 7 or 8 Naza Lite's flying, and it does seem like some are more sensitive to the gains, than others. If I remember right, my last mini HK250 build has the gains pulled down to 80 across the board.

Hood49

It is not a mini. I have 10 inch props with SunnySky 2012 - 980 KV motors.
Flying with a 4S 4500 Mah Gens-ace. But I think that you are right, the gains are a bit high. I am going to reduce with 10 for all the values. Lets see what it does. I hope it does not fall from the sky ;-).

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am using similar gains on a similarly equipped Discovery Pro and it is the smoothest most easy to fly and stable MR I have.

Hood49

Thanks. nevertheless I will lower the gains a little and let you know what the result is.

I could be the 10 inch props. Do not really want to reinstall the 9 inch because 10 inch gives me more flight time.

You should verify how much thrust you need and how much you are getting with the props. If the relation needed/actual is too big you will have woble problems. I had then when I tried to use 12 on my hex. With 12 had more flight time but was very usntable. With the 10 flights much better but less flight time.

Hood49

Indeed, you are right, could be the props. However, I first want to try to tweak it with the 10" props as I love the flight time. Fitting the 9" will be my last resort.
My charger died on me and I have another one in the post. Cannot test it before it arrives :livid: