"Echo" - anti vibration quick release - Quick Review

Quick Review: If you're thinking about getting the Echo, go ahead. You'll be glad you did.

Slightly longer review: About a month and a half ago, I purchased an Echo anti-vibration quick release from Josh Kornoff of Allied Drones. Allied Drones manufactures a lot of products that make using a Cinestar, SkyJib, or Vulcan, easier - accessories that improve the end-user's experience. The Echo has two main functions. First, it cuts down on copter vibrations reaching the gimbal. This is important for smooth footage. Here's some footage we recently shot (Echo in use).

The Echo is tuneable so that it will work with light payloads and heavy payloads. We've been using our Echo to attach a camera gimbal to a Cinestar and a Vulcan, and have been able to easily and quickly move the gimbal from one to the other. We've run a lightweight GH3 on the gimbal and the fairly heavy Red Epic. With some small adjustments, both payloads worked great. Copter vibes didn't reach the gimbal in either case.

There are several vibration isolation systems out there, but this one allows you to detach the copter and gimbal with speed! Four thumb screws and the clamps are ready to release from the 15mm rods. Being able to get the copter out of your face while balancing a camera on the gimbal is a nice convenience. And being able to move the gimbal from one copter to another is a nice bonus too. Here's a pic of the plate:

View attachment 12717
(pic borrowed from Allied Drones)

Since the spacing for the rods (part of the Echo system), usually have different spacing for the Vulcan and the Cinestar, Josh offered to modify the parts so that the spacing was the same. The pricing for this modification was very reasonable. Which speaks well for the great customer support you can expect at Allied Drones. I've bought some other accessories from AD, and the service has been top notch every time.

So in short, the Echo is a great product from a great company.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All the best,
Ben Rowland

Note: I received NO COMPENSATION for this review. It is unbiased. I typed it up, without much attention to grammar, to share this great product with folks that could put it to use.

Attachments

• Echo.jpg
    Echo.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Did you use this echo anti vibration with the R/C Rotors Evolution Gimbal you wrote about 1-2 days ago?

Which echo system did you purchase? They have a couple different models?

If you used the echo with the R/C Rotors Evolution Gimbal, how did you attach it to the echo?

thanks for the reviews.....

The system I purchased was customized to work with the Vulcan and the Cinestar. Our R/C Rotors gimbal is attached to the top half of a 3 axis Cinestar gimbal. So we have a bit of a Frankenstein. If you aren't sure what to get, I'd recommend giving Allied Drones a call or send them an email.

rocjock

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the post. I have the same setup, gimbal on the way, and am trying to sort it out. Are you using Vulcan's 12mm mount system and having the Echo custom made to fit on the 12mm mount? or? I can't quite tell what the bigger crossbars are. Also, how's that brushless motor handling that camera? or is there a second one on tilt? Would you mind showing a picture of the top and how the electronics are laid out?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm excited to see someone using a similar setup! I like Vulcan frames and have been trying to sort out pro solutions to attaching various gimbals to their frame. It can be quite the mental excercise getting nonproprietary parts to stick together and work well.

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the post. I have the same setup, gimbal on the way, and am trying to sort it out. Are you using Vulcan's 12mm mount system and having the Echo custom made to fit on the 12mm mount? or? I can't quite tell what the bigger crossbars are. Also, how's that brushless motor handling that camera? or is there a second one on tilt? Would you mind showing a picture of the top and how the electronics are laid out?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm excited to see someone using a similar setup! I like Vulcan frames and have been trying to sort out pro solutions to attaching various gimbals to their frame. It can be quite the mental excercise getting nonproprietary parts to stick together and work well.

You have to contact Allied Drones to order the Echo mount for the Vulcan. It ships with 4 small sleeves that slide over the 12mm rods to turn them into 15mm rods at the attach points.

The brushless motors get a bit hot with the Epic. Only one motor on the tilt for now. An Epic is a bit heavy for this setup, but it works. Vulcan is packed up at the moment, but I'll shoot some pictures and do a review of the frame sometime soon.

PaNt

At the end Ben you dont have the problems with shakes that you have with the cinestar dampening system?

ghaynes

Ben similar question. Do the Echo attach bars attach to the CS frame or to the existing vibration dampers? Or some other way?