DX7 + AR7010 + telemetry to get started with dji f450 FPV

focus97

I'm currently flying a dji f450 with a 2-axis gimbal and want to get some insight into what equipment I'll need for FPV. I currently use a DX6i with the AR7010 but because I'd like to know, at the very least, battery voltage and signal quality, I plan to upgrade my Tx. So I'm looking at keeping my AR7010 Rx and binding it to a DX7s.

1. Does anyone have any insight into whether this is a good combo? (Strangely it seems most DX7s' I've looked at ship with an AR8000, which I don't need.)
  2. Is there any benefit of the DX8 over the DX7? (The cost differential isn't huge but I'm not controlling my gimbal with the Tx so I don't believe I need many channels.)
  3. Anyone know the range of the DX7 or with the AR7010? I see ranges of 1km or so, but just curious what's possible with stock equipment.

Just some of my plans (if any have any suggestions I'm completely open): I plan to get some model of Fatshark goggles (not sure which yet) over an LCD screen attached to my Tx, and I know I'll need a 5.8Ghz transmitter + antennae + video camera. I have also looked at replacing the stock dji motors with something different. I read about people saying it's better to have more reliable motors for FPV, and also that they can run more efficient.

Many thanks for insights.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
1. Highly recommend at least 8 channels for this sort of flying, you will not need them to start with but better to get it now rather than have to upgrade later, if you must get Spektrum then get a DX9. Highly recommend going with Futaba, a lot of gear for FPV is better suited or designed to work with Futaba better than Spektrum, I use both but for MR's I only fly Futaba now.
2. You might want to use a controllable gimbal later, and a camera switch, and a channel to control lights, etc, etc....
3. 1km should be fine, that is a long way away.

Cheers.

Pete

focus97

Took the advice and grabbed a DX9. So far it's quite an upgrade from the DX6i in terms of feel and features. Loving it.

Now for questions regarding: motors & FPV.

Motors:
I'm using the original DJI 2212/920 kv motors and I want something more powerful/reliable/efficient. I'm pretty set on Tiger motors. I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but they seem to get a huge amount of praise for reliability and efficiency. I've been looking at these three:

Tiger Motor MT-2212-16 750kv
Tiger Motor MT-2216-12 800kv
Tiger Motor MT-2814-10 770kv

I don't know the current weight of my craft, but it's getting heavy. Original f450 frame with ESCs and Naza + GPS, but I've added an Arris CM2000 Gimbal with GoPro, and I typically fly with a 3S 4000 - 4500 Mah battery. I plan to add to all that some FPV equipment (FPV camera + Tx). (Attaching picture for reference.) So I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on any of the three above? There is a significant jump in weight to the 2814 but I'm wondering if that may be ok given what I have on my craft. Though these all have a lower kv rating than my current motors, will they be more efficient or suck more power? In addition, what is the -16,-12,-10 mean with respect to the motor's capabilities?

View attachment 15423

Last question is for FPV: I believe I need a camera, Tx + cloverleaf antennae, and goggles. Is the extra camera necessary or do folks just plug into the GoPro?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• F97_3879.jpg
    F97_3879.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 157

focus97

Just bumping this to see if anyone has advice? I'm leaning towards the more powerful motors (2216 or 2814) but want to get perspectives from anyone first. I know the 2814's are heavier than the other two but given the weight of my machine I'd like to have the most efficient motors. Max flight time is the key idea, not necessarily speed or power. '

Many thanks.