Dumb battery question

domx

I feel really dumb asking this, but here goes.

I've always used 4s 14.8v packed on my F550. Can I use 3s packs and interchange them with 4s in the field without changing anything in the setup? I know very little about batteries (as you can probably guess!) but swopping a 14.8v pack for an 11.1v pack feels odd to me.

Thanks in advance,
Dom.

Old Man

If the motor voltage accepts, technically yes but there are some cautions.

You will generate less prop RPM with lower voltage. If your flight controller has low voltage warnings set up the 3s battery peak voltage will likely trigger a fail safe and not permit flight at all, or trigger while in flight, which is considerably worse that not being permitted to take off.

When going back to a 4s battery, if the failsafe had been set to a 3s limit you could over discharge the 4s and destroy the battery and/or start a battery fire.

Best to stay with one battery cell count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotorfreek

Yes you can. The "correct" thing to go would be to adjust the voltage settings each time.

However you could turn all voltage warnings off, and use a stand alone voltage alarm.

That way you can leave it set to 3.6 v per cell and land when it goes off.

Sent by my thumb, a trusty slave to my crazy mind. The above is the ramblings of a lunatic, and should be treated as such. Terms and conditions apply.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
If your using a Naza, you cannot use 3S, or 4s interchangeabley. The Naza needs to be setup for the battery voltage.