Droidworx AD8 Hercules Photohigher , Professional Heavy Lift AP Build

Hi guys, I Just finished building another AD8 Heavy Lift. I have a client wanting a heavy lift Octo using the Hercules boards. So I figured I should build one for myself, and thoroughly test it before recommending it to others. Since this was my first build using the much anticipated HERCULES Boards. I thought I would take some pics along the way, and do a quick build thread. Just a warning, I am by no means a master at this, and I am constantly open to learn new things. This is my first build thread so take it easy on me. I would like to note that allot of this build was accomplished, only with the help of fellow forum members. Without their support, I would have never gotten into this hobby. Anyway, hopefully this build will give some ideas or help someone else that has a similar build in mind. I have included a few tips that I feel work great. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

So here it is,the recently completed AD8 HERCULES BUILD

First I put together the parts list and began getting everything together for the build.

PARTS LIST
AD8 Heavy Lift Extended (I ordered 2 extra booms, extra motor mount, Extra landing gear set)
Dual Battery Tray
(8) QuadroPower QC3328 Motors
AV200 Pro Mount, AV200 PRO w/ 360
(2) Flight Control V2.1 ME (1 for AD8, 1 for AV200 360)
MK GPS V2.1 and MK GPS Shield 1.1
Navi-Ctrl V2.0
(2) Hercules Power Board Pro
Active Cooling plate for Hercules October
Hercules USB
MK USB
XBEE Wireless Communication Set
PCB Extension (to Operate LED’s)
6V BEC for AV200 Servos
DC/DC 12v regulator for PCB
(5) Pairs Xoar 13x6.5 Beachwood props for testing (all props I have drilled to 6mm, to fit perfect to the MK or AXI prop adapters)
(5) Pairs Carbon Fiber 13x6.5 props for Filming
(8) 6mm prop adapters
(8) Turnigy Nano Tech 4S 6000mAh Lipo's
(4) Sky Lipo's 3S 2200mAh (For the AV200 360 servos and downlink)
JR 11x Transmitter
Spektrum AR9100 Receiver (for the 3 Satellites)
Spektrum Diversity Board
High Intensity LED’s (red and green)
Servo Wire (came in 50 foot length)
Deans Connectors
Servo plugs (DIY for making LED, PCB, Buzzer Connections and such)
Servo Wire Wrap
1 ½” Clear heat Shrink Tubing (to cover LED’s)

This was pretty much everything excluding a few odds and ends that I already had.

This copter should easily get 10 minutes flight time while carrying a Canon 7D with downlink gear. I will be flying (2) 4S 6000mAh packs in Parallel.

AD8 HLE FRAME ASSEMBLY
I first open all the misc frame parts and components. I lay everything out nice and neat putting all similar parts and screws together in their own little piles. This also gives me the opportunity to inventory everything making sure I am not missing anything.

Once you have a nice area arranged and to work on. Follow the following Build manuals from Droidworx.com.au.

Here is the Main Download page for Assembly instructions.
http://www.droidworx.com.au/assembly2.html

LANDING GEAR ASSEMBLY

This part of the process was pretty simple. Just make sure all the screws into the AV200 are tight. (I even opted to use a small amount thread lock on the metal to metal parts). I also use a tab of CA glue on the screws that went into the Carbon tubes.

I ordered and installed the Dual battery tray. You can mount them directly under the center plates. But this accessory makes the Lipo’s mounting/removal very easy. Be sure to thread lock the screw on this part.

HUGE RECOMMENDATION!!
The stock Gear rail brackets that come with the frames are pretty weak. I had noticed stress fractures in my stock ones. Because I haveThousands of $ in camera gear and gimbals hanging from these two brackets. I decided to CNC Machine my own ALUMINUM GEAR RAIL BRACKETS. The parts I made are extremely durable, and yet they are very light. I feel this is a must have upgrade for anyone carrying nice cameras with pricey Gimbals.

The Stock Plastic Gear rail brackets cost $45 plus shipping. I sell mine for $44 Shipped. Contact me if you would like a set. I am running another batch this week, and they will be anodized Black.

GearRailBrackets.jpg

I use both the AV200 with Extended landing gear, and a separate AV200 on 360. When I am flying alone, I use the 2 axis. When I have my camera man operating the gimbal, I quickly switch to the 360.

Here are a couple pics showing the process and then the two completely assembled.

DualBatterytrayAluminumGearrailbrackets.jpg

AV200ExtLandinggearAlumGearrailbrackets.jpg

AV200360.jpg

FRAME ASSEMBLY

Some things to pay close attention to here are. To make sure the Boom Brackets are facing in the correct direction. Make sure the Motor mount locating hole (on the outside end of the boom) is on the top. When looking at the top of your frame, you should see this hole. On my first AD8 Build, I had one that was upside down, and it can be a pain flipping it over. Check your standoff mounting locations with your electronics; just to be sure they are int he correct place.

When Using the HERCULES Cooling Plate. There ARE NOT holes in the center frame plates to mount the standoffs, that would line up with the Active cooling plate. You will need to line up and drill 4 small holes. That way you can mount the stand offs lining up correctly to the Hercules cooling plate. Make sure the way you mount it has the arrow on the FC board Pointing right BETWEEN Motors 1 and 2. It should point towards the Notch in the Centerplate.

Here is a Pic with RED drawing showing the Direction, andwhere I had to drill the 4 mounting holes.

MountingdirectionofFCandCoolingplate.jpg

TIPS during Frame assembly: If you are using LED’s.
I prefer to mount any orientation tape to the booms. I then lay the LED’s in their place. And finally I use 1 ½” Clear Heat Shrink to cover them. Get a decent heat gun to make this process easy. This makes for a really clean and professional looking install. Mainly it gets rid of having to use zip ties. Do this before putting the motor mounts on, or you won’t be able to get the Heat shrink on (trust me on this hehehe). I also use this time to run any wires that you may want down the booms. Some like to run a wire to the end of a boom for the buzzer.

After installing the LED’s and Heat Shrink, they should looksomething like this.

YellowLEDsheatshrunk.jpg

Here is my completed frame. Ready to have the motors mounted.

LEDsHeatShrunkinplace-1.jpg

MOTOR MOUNTING AND INSTALL

I like to prep the motor wires before mounting them. If youare using MK 3638’s like I did in a previous build. Then you may want to tin the wires before mounting the motors. I found this makes it easier and keeps the wires from getting frayed as you route them.

Place the 30mm screw through the motor mount disc before mounting it to the motor. When using the larger motors, you will not be able to get the screw in place once the motor is mounted to the disc. Again, I learned this the hard way.

I like to thread lock the screws going into the motor. On an older build, I used a screw that was 2mm longer. I felt that there was not enough threads going into the motor, and a little longer screw gave plenty more bite. Personally it just gave me a little more assurance.

Threadlockmotormount.jpg

APPLY HEAT SHRINK TUBING TO MOTOR WIRES.

This is a big must in my book. I put heat shrink over the motor wires right at the can. This helps protect the wires from rubbing against the carbon edge of the boom and shorting out.

MotorPrepHeatshrinkwires.jpg

Before installing the 6mm prop adapters, I thread lock and tighten the Set screws that hold the can to the motor shaft. I also thread lock the 3 screws used to mount the prop adapters. I do this to make sure they do not come loose, causing off balance vibrations. It also helps to ensure the prop stays on the motor.

Finally Go ahead, feed the wires through, and mount these bad boys onto the booms, ensuring the dimple in the mount lines up with the hole in the top of the boom.

Once you get the motors all mounted, and the wires all fed through. Go ahead and apply Heat shrink where the wires exit the interior of the boom. This will help protect the wires from the edges of the booms, and center plate.
Motorwiresinteriorheatshrunk.jpg

This should finish up the AD8 Frame and Landing gear. Now it’s time to move on to the Electronics.

CONTINUED IN FOLLOWING POSTS

ELECTRONICS STACK AND MOTOR WIRE INSTALL.

Being that this was my first build using the Hercules. I ordered my Hercules pre configured from Kopterworx. They were a great help, and my Hercules was ready to go. This really sped up my Build. More importantly, it gave me a great starting point for my future builds.

Here is how the Boards look laid out on the copter, and how the motors should be wired. Once you have all the motors wires going to the correct controller, you can check the direction of rotation.

HerculesConfigfromKopterworx.jpg

WITH PROPS OFF!! Use the MK Tools “MOTOR TEST”, to check configuration and rotation direction. If you find that a motor is spinning in the wrong direction, simply swap 2 of the3 motor wires on that controller. Once you have the motors all confirmed and spinningin the right direction. Go ahead and install the rest of your stack.

DIVERSITY BOARD FOR SPEKTRUM SATELITES/ PCB EXTENSION BOARD
Once I received the Hercules board and FC Stack. I soldered on a satellite wire to the FC Board. When using the Diversity Board, make sure you solder the + wire to the 5V spot on the FC board. If using just a single Satellite, then you use the 3V spot. I draw power for the PCB EXT board directly from the FC. Solder ona +/- wire to the +/- spots on the FC board (number 14 and 16 on the diagram below)

Here is a good link showing the FC layout and connections.
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/FlightCtrl_ME_2_1

If using the GPS shield, go ahead and solder that as shown here.

MKGPSShieldBottom.jpg

I like to cover all my wires with Mesh covering. I also prefer to make all my own connectors. In the following pic you can see the FC ready to go. I have one red wire to power the PCB EXT Board. The Wire with the White connector plugs into my Diversity Board, and the other red connector is for my Buzzer. I do this so that I can remove my whole Power dist and Flight control stack, without having to unsolder anything. It makes for easy repairs and transportation if needed.

HerculesStack.jpg

On the PCB Extension board, I have 2 Red connectors coming off in the S1/S2 LED Spots. Those go to the LED’s that I have wired with the
same plug. I have another Red connector that goes to the FC board (this is what powers the PCB). Then Finally, I have a Servo plug that goes from the PCB to the FC board in the Transitor Outp (right above the Nick Servo input). I put the PCB Board on a standoff. I will be drilling a hole and relocating it later.

Here’s a pic showing the PCB board, Diversity Board, SatelliteReceivers and buzzer.

BuzzerPCBdiversity.jpg

CONFIGURING THE FLIGHT CONTROL, SOFTWARE FOR MKTOOLS AND HERCULES

For configuring and or trouble shooting, you will want the following software.
Here is a link to the latest MK tools.
http://svn.mikrokopter.de/listing.php?repname=FlightCtrl&path=%2Ftags%2F

HERCULES SOFTWARE. In order to download the software, you will have to email them for a login.
http://andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/downloads

After you have the stack all assembled to the frame. Bind your radio to your satellite. Then Go ahead and plug it into your MK USB and begin configuring your Transmitter to the Copter.

Here is a link to some great tutorials. Watch the Binding tutorial, AV 200 Servo Set up, and VERY INPORTANT Compass Calibration.

http://www.quadrocopter.us/category/tips-tricks/page/2/

Here you can watch how to Configure your PCB EXT, How to upgrade Firmware’s with MK tools and some other great tips

http://www.quadrocopter.us/category/tips-tricks/

The main things to do while configuring your radio. Make sure that all your “K” Values go to +/- 125. Use the end point adjustment in your radio to get this accomplished. I like to set some Expo in my radio to slow the movement a little. For me I add 20 expo to my Aileron, pitch and rudder, this just seems to smooth the copter out for me.

Make sure you have the proper satellite selected in the MK tools under Channels. If you have the wrong one selected, not all channels will show up, and you will notice the bars on the channels bounce around. It is Critical to make sure the correct receiver is selected.

WHEN SETTING THE COME HOME/ CF/ALT HOLD.

While everything is plugged in and with the MK USB plugged in. You will want to configure your radio switches to properly operate the come home features and such. I use my Gear switch for Altitude hold, F-Mode 3Position switch for Free/Position Hold/ Come home. I then use my Flap switch for the Care free mode. The key here is to make sure all switches are forward, and that everything is disabled. Meaning that when the switch is down, carefree is not active or come home isn’t active. I had to reverse a couple switches in my radio to achieve this. To check this out. Open the Kopter tool and then click on OSD. Use this to make sure you have the Poti Switches operating correctly. When you move your switches, you will see if the PH/Come home /Care free are coming active or not. Use this to tell whether or not you need to reverse switches within your transmitter.

CALIBRATE YOUR LEVEL POSITION FOR FC.
Calibrate your Gyros level position. I use a small bubble level, and or an APP on my Iphone. I set it right on top of the FC. Once you have it perfectly level in all directions. Push your throttle stick up and right. This will set the level position for the gyros.

CALIBRATE COMPASS
Make sure you compass is correctly Calibrated. Here is the link again with a great tutorial.
http://www.quadrocopter.us/category/tips-tricks/page/2/

Once you have everything mounted/configured/And motors are spinning correctly. You may be ready for your first test flight.

Here is my AD8 all set and RTF

AD8HerculesRTF.jpg

Unfortunately, it has been raining all day. But once you have finished everything, and your certain it’s ready for a test flight. Go ahead and put your props on (make sure they are on correct direction/motor), and prepare for your MAIDEN FLIGHT .

Here is the Maiden flight of my latest AD8 HERCULES Build. I recommend doing this outdoors lol, but I couldn’t resist it. I cant wait to get this outdoors for some real flying.

<o:p

As weather gets better, I will get out and get some much better pictures of this beauty. I can already tell that it will be the smoothest copter I have built to date. I am really looking forward to filming with it.

I hope this thread is helpful to someone. I tried to include enough pics for those that are more visual in learning (like myself). Feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any help. I will do my best. Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way in this hobby.

For those that need assistance and or want to order parts/kits. Just let me know. I am a distributor for Droidworx, Photohigher and XOAR. I will do my best to accommodate you with anything you may need.

Take care everyone, and thanks again to those who have helped me along the way, Especially Kopterworx for their endless support, and for answering each of my 100's of emails.

Have a Positive day,
Patrick
</o

Last edited by a moderator:

krleas

FPV Freak
Nice report and im happy now.
U will see its rock stable with good settings and flying like a jumbo jet.

p.s.
U have all settings on email.

Lanzar

Batery for 360pan will keep your kopter aout of balance so i recomend a diferent position of it. Othervise nice flying in the livingroom hahaha :). Btw a exausting report to read it but u wrote all the important things in it.

Regards

Lanzar

Macsgrafs

Very nicely doen Patrick, one thing that worries me slightly...the LED's? Be careful you dont get any glare onto the camera lens or it will tinge your final film! All camera lenses pick up some form of refracted light & having so many LED's could cause you a problem!!
Apart from that, what a great build thread.

Ross

Lanzar

Maybe he want's a UFO sighting over ???? so he will be on the chanell 1 news with so many LED's.

Btw, 11 segments x 4 bums is huge power comsumption. Would need to caclulate how much but my guess is a lot.

Macsgrafs

Maybe he want's a UFO sighting over ???? so he will be on the chanell 1 news with so many LED's.

Btw, 11 segments x 4 bums is huge power comsumption. Would need to caclulate how much but my guess is a lot.

Let's say for arguments sakes that there is 4 x 50cm LED's. Total = 2mtrs & @ 400ma per mtr = 800ma!

I must admit its very easy to see it & adds so much further distance. I do a lot of night flying (3D fixed wing) & LED's treble to viewable range, so this octo will be seen for some great distance!

Ross

I must Admit, Those LED's were alot brighter than I had anticipated. Chances are that I will hav a signal loss before, I lose sight of the copter hehehe. I do have conectors on them, so I can easily unplug them when they are not really needed. As far as enegy consumption. If they used 800mAh, Then I would guess thats really only approx 133mAh per 10 min Flight. With 12000mAh onboard, I dont think its going to make a huge diffrence. If they mess with my camera lens, then I will reduce the amount of LED's. Hopefully they work out, because I dont want to have to redo the heat shrink.

Macsgrafs

I must Admit, Those LED's were alot brighter than I had anticipated. Chances are that I will hav a signal loss before, I lose sight of the copter hehehe. I do have conectors on them, so I can easily unplug them when they are not really needed. As far as enegy consumption. If they used 800mAh, Then I would guess thats really only approx 133mAh per 10 min Flight. With 12000mAh onboard, I dont think its going to make a huge diffrence. If they mess with my camera lens, then I will reduce the amount of LED's. Hopefully they work out, because I dont want to have to redo the heat shrink.

After watching your video Parick, I gave my LED's a go & had some 25mm clear heatshrink, I only used 6 LED's on the 2 front legs. If you look at my avatar you will see its a long exposure night flight with a 3D foamie, so yes they are very bright :) :)
800ma should be nothing...dont forget thats per hour!!!! 13.3ma per minute....I'm sure you can live with that ;)

Ross

Jem

Hi Patrick.
Thanks for the build tread, very helpful.
I'm just building a ADX-3HL, DJI WK at the moment and as soon as I saw those landing gear brackets I thought they looked like a weak link. I havent broken my ones yet but I'm sure the inevitable will happen so would be interested in some of you aluminum ones if you have any left.
Cheers,
Jem

ZAxis

Hi Patrick.
I'm just building a ADX-3HL, DJI WK at the moment and as soon as I saw those landing gear brackets I thought they looked like a weak link. I havent broken my ones yet but I'm sure the inevitable will happen so would be interested in some of you aluminum ones if you have any left.
Cheers,
Jem

Jem ...

Droidworx are aware of negative feelings about these brackets so its worth reading the item in this link.

http://www.droidworx.com.au/conceptx.html

Nice to see customers treated nicely.

Do keep an eye on the Y6 builder thread -- http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3354-Y6-Builders-thread

andy

Jem

Cheers Andy,
I'll stick with the droidworx ones and see how I go. Fingers crossed I won't be testing their strength too much.
Jem

Hi Patrick.
Cheers,
Jem

Hi Jem,

Glad the build thread was helpful. As for Those brackets, they caused me to worry also. I had found stress cracks in mine, and thats why I made them.
Quadrocopter.us was pretty concerned too after haveing some fail. They now stock, and use my brackets on all their RTF builds . For myself, I figured its better to be sure, than to have to find out the hard way. I just have too much $ in camera gear and gimbals to take a chance. Just keep an eye on the stock ones and look for stress cracks, No cowboy landings and you should be fine.

I am a dealer for Droidworx, and they have great customer support/warranty. If you have any of the stock brackets fail, Just return them to myself or Droidworx, and I will replace them at NO CHARGE.

On another note, While at NAB. I did notice they have all Aluminum brackets on their new model that will be out soon. Looking pretty dang sweeeet for sure.

IMG_0576-1.jpg

quadcopters

Quadcopters.co.uk Drone Specialists
Hi Jem
The Droidworx brackets will be fine , there was only a small batch that were weak , this was some time ago also .. But take it from me that as seen a lot of multirotors come in for repair and some have been in a sorry state that I believe that if the bracket was made of a stronger metal substance with no give in it at all then potential damage to the airframe could be worse.

Also if for any reason you are unhappy with the brackets or they fail, you will not need to send them to America to Aerial Media Pro for exchange which will cost you a fortune in shipping .. Just drop Linda at Droidworx a email and you can be assured you will get a replacement set free of charge because when it comes to customer service Droidworx are top notch .

Hope the build is coming along nicely

Geoff - Quadcopters Uk.

Geoff, and Jem

I did not notice you were not in the USA. Like I said above, the service/warranty is top notch. If you need help with them simply send them to Droidworx for replacement.

Macsgrafs

Just drop Linda at Droidworx a email and you can be assured you will get a replacement set free of charge because when it comes to customer service Droidworx are top notch .

Geoff - Quadcopters Uk.

A lot of other manufacturers could do witrh taking a leaf from Droidworx customer services department, these guys are ALWAYS spot on.

Ross

There is also a new way of attaching and removing the landing gear comming from DW.
It similar to the clip a gopro attaches.