Do Betaflight Flight Controllers (FC) ship with factory default settings?

RCMindBug

Hello all,

I think this is an extremely basic question, and feel I should know the answer but I don't. I heard that RaceFlight One and Kiss Flight Controllers come with default PID settings that work well out of the box (maybe even when resetting to factory default settings?).

The question is do Betaflight/Cleanflight based Flight Controllers ship with default settings that should work well out of the box? I would assume that manufacturers of a Flight Controller would put their basic "starter" settings on the FCs before they ship them from the factory? Or does default settings come from the developers from the firmware regardless of FC manufacture? E.g. an SP Racing F3, Fury F3, Seriously Dodo, or Motolab Tornado F3 board reset to default settings should fly similar in theory (Not knowing if each board has different gyros or different components)?

Or do manufacturers design, develop, and manufacture an FC board. Develop their version of Betaflight firmware. Test the boards and come up with basic settings that would be their "default settings"?

At the end of the day, who own (writes and codes) the "default settings", Board manufacture? Board Firmware developers? Betaflight core developers? Or Betaflight Configurator developers? Or worse "no one, you are to ALWAYS PID Tune no matter what!!!"?

Thanks for the time and support,
Nick

RENOV8R

Most boards come loaded with Cleanflight or Betaflight FW, but depending when it was manufactured, can be quite out-of-date. As for default settings, I just flashed a Revo F4 with Betaflight 3.1.7 on a Space One FPV Formula 220X and it flies amazing without any adjustments.