DJI Zenmuse GH3 gimbal with new firmware and Blackmagic Pocket

Hi,

Finally the Firmware update worked on my Zenmuse GH3 and I did a quick test flight today. Reset now works and on FPV. I still have 360° rotation in trace mode but I can work with that.

I cannot see a big improvement on starting or stopping slow pans and tilts. It seems as the stick deadband is bigger now. There is always a slight jump when you start a movement. In comparison to the old NEX gimbal it feels much more mechanical which is not really nice.

Stabilisation is really awesome with this gimbal, just some improved ease in / out would make it perfect for my use.

I made a small video today. It was shot using the Blackmagic Pocket on the modded GH3 gimbal. Also I did some matching angles with another s800 carrying a NEX-7 with the older Zenmuse Z15 NEX for comparison of image quality.

At the end of the movie you see some pans/tilts to illustrate the mechanical feel pans and tilts with this gimbal has. I´ve tried various expos and servo channel limits but the GH3 head its just no starting soft.

Greetings,

Last edited by a moderator:

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I'd really like to know how you modified the GH3 gimbal to work with the BlackMagic Pocket camera. We have a Zenmuse GH2 gimbal with a GH3 adapter plate. We don't know how to modify it to hold the BlackMagic Pocket cam. Can you tell us how you did it?

Thanks,
Jack Tunnicliffe
Java Post Aerial Photography

mcates

I'd really like to know how you modified the GH3 gimbal to work with the BlackMagic Pocket camera. We have a Zenmuse GH2 gimbal with a GH3 adapter plate. We don't know how to modify it to hold the BlackMagic Pocket cam. Can you tell us how you did it?

Thanks,
Jack Tunnicliffe
Java Post Aerial Photography

Would love to know this too. Wish he would post back on how he did it?

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
Yes, indeed, but since the announcement of a GH4 on Friday, I'm now more excited about that than BlackMagic Pocket cam. We want to be able to offer 4K production and this may give us the opportunity. Hopefully the moire issue has been resolved with this 4K camera.

Hi,

I don´t know how to adapt the pocket into the GH2 gimbal. I have done it with the GH3 and the Z15 NEX versions. Basically by rebalancing and mimicking the BM Pocket´s weight.

I am looking forward to the GH4 to which will be in my arsenal for 4K but I think in terms of latitude and color the BM Pocket will be superior.

Greetings

Greetings.

daniel

hi

how are you taking video out of the Black magic pocket?

is there any options bsides the kopterworxs hdmi converter?

thanks