DJI+XA-Hexa Shopping List... Newb Help!

remmie

Hi,

New to the game and just about to place the orders for my first MC.

My problem is, and a lot of my decision factors are based on, that I work on yachts, I have limited storage space, I need to pick up a move "home" once a year on average... i short, I can't have a room full of 2 or 3 MCs for different applications like a lot of you as you progress through the hobby. Now, a long term view for this is a Cinestar 6 that can sling my 7D, at the moment the best I want to do is a GoPro Hero and maybe FPV. Problem is I want to be able to transplant parts from a learner to a Cinestar.

What I've come down to at this stage...

DJI-WKM
XA Hexa - cheap for learning, I'm not going to cry when I snap an arm, I'm not going to cry when I throw it in the bin.
Graupner 10*5
2 x Herkules II - I like the reduction in space, weight but there doesn't seem to be massive uptake...why?
AXI 2814-22 - Can pull a CS-6 but too slow for this?
Hitec Aurora 9 - personal choice, bang-for-buck

I'm very confused on the battery front, very much want to go A123 cells (yachts + fire hazards = big no-no) but sizing is something causing me much confusion (at the moment thinking 4S 2600mAh, but not sure this is going to be acceptable flight times? 3S2P?)

Appreciate all thoughts, comments, experiences with any of this gear...

Rgds,

remmie

mmurfitt

Hey Remmie,
I'm in a similar position, in that I'm putting a kit together and grappling with all the new terminology etc, so I'm probably not the best to comment on your list, however here's a link(http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?2638-Need-battery-suggestion-for-a-F550) to an interesting thread on batteries where they're talking about 4S 5000mah batteries for the F550, there was also another thread I was reading (apologies as I can't remember which one) which was talking about having a larger capacity battery and smaller 8" props to reduce the vibration from the motors, which I thought was quite interesting.
Hope your build comes along nicely, you show some photos...

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I have some of what you are proposing.
I love my aircraft as it is.
I am in the process of adding a GoPro2 and gimbal.
I am still up in the air about FPV video downlink.
My suggestions are these:
1. If this is your first rodeo, Stick with standard, tested & dealer supported equipment.
2. Careful with you ESC choices. I use DJI as they are plug & play. Others may need programing or may not be compatible at all.
3. I have 10 x 5 Graupners also, I will put them on soon. DJI stock props are working well right now, but will upgrade for insurance when adding the GoPro.
4. Buy the WKM from a "real" DJI dealer. I am very happy with Robert at UAV Products.
5. There are better motors than DJI, but they are inexpensive. At the beginning, at crash could easily damage an EXPENSIVE motor. Start with the less expsensive & upgrade when it's approprate.
6. I fly 4S 5000 mah. I get about 12-15 minutes as currently set-up.
7. I started with the XA Hexa frame before WKM. I had to construct a "custom" power distribution board to power everything. Using a F550 DJI frame would be much easier. Power distribution is built into the frame.

View attachment 7637View attachment 7639

View attachment 7640View attachment 7638

I hope this helps.
I really see that constant upgrades is a "part" of getting into the hobby.