DJI used to make the local news

nicwilke

The pain-in-the-*** old chook next door asked me if I would kindly use my 'probe' to swoop around her rear yard to scare the birds from nesting in her palm trees. I accepted, but said it was not a probe. :D it's all in the title eh?

Kilby

"Remote control helicopter"

Nobody gets excited about parkflyers. I believe we need to associate ourselves with the same guys that have been flying RC PLANES in the park for the last twenty years. We're the ones calling them drones and multirotors and UAVs, etc. "Remote controlled heli", ergo toy. Non-threatening and a concept people are used to.

No matter what you call it yourself, you can count on the fact that when the mic cuts back to the reporter the first word out of their mouth is going to be drone.

Personally, I just roll with what ever they call it. I'll point out that this is a hexacopter, etc, but if they only give you 2 minutes to talk and you spend a minute of that saying these aren't drones, it really limits you from getting the real points out.

No matter what you call it yourself, you can count on the fact that when the mic cuts back to the reporter the first word out of their mouth is going to be drone.

Personally, I just roll with what ever they call it. I'll point out that this is a hexacopter, etc, but if they only give you 2 minutes to talk and you spend a minute of that saying these aren't drones, it really limits you from getting the real points out.

Kilby,

How right you are and I think that is the best way to go..... Thanks for the input

SMP

Chuckling here... How right you are Kilby, But... isn't changing the "D" word the only real talking point that matters?

Kilby

Not at all, in my opinion. It's an argument you will not win, so I don't even see the point in trying... just help change the meaning of the word by showing this technology in a positive light.

I'd much rather spend my time taking about how the US is quickly falling behind several other counties when it comes to the use of this technology because the FAA won't get off their *** and pass real regulations that allow commercial flight. It's restricting economic growth in a time when we need all that we can get. That line usually gets people fired up.

Ill also tell you one other reason why I don't fight the drone fight. The moment you convince a reporter that what you have is not a drone, and is in fact a remote control helicopter, that reporter/publisher loses 100% of the interest they had in your story. If they can't use the word Drone, they don't have a story. This comes for personal experience, but feel free to prove that theory yourself.

SMP

Chuckling nope, youre the expert! Makes sense. And you've changed my mind. :)

Not at all, in my opinion. It's an argument you will not win, so I don't even see the point in trying... just help change the meaning of the word by showing this technology in a positive light.

I'd much rather spend my time taking about how the US is quickly falling behind several other counties when it comes to the use of this technology because the FAA won't get off their *** and pass real regulations that allow commercial flight. It's restricting economic growth in a time when we need all that we can get. That line usually gets people fired up.

Ill also tell you one other reason why I don't fight the drone fight. The moment you convince a reporter that what you have is not a drone, and is in fact a remote control helicopter, that reporter/publisher loses 100% of the interest they had in your story. If they can't use the word Drone, they don't have a story. This comes for personal experience, but feel free to prove that theory yourself.

Kilby

Don't get me wrong. I see the value in calling these aircraft by a name other than drone, I just think its a hard battle to fight and efforts are probably better spent else where. They are going to call it what they want at the end of the day.

janoots2

Very good points. Most likely it will be a simple talking point worked into responses to achieve the messaging. I watched the below video featuring DJI's CEO this morning while on my thinking chair and liked how he simply referenced our crafts as "flying cameras":

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8qAzPY1C3Pc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=8qAzPY1C3Pc

Example:

Talking Point: It's important to understand there are different types of drones used for different purposes.

Reporter: "So how did you capture this amazing footage with your drone?"

Pilot: "Thanks for the compliment. It's important to understand that there are different types of drones used for specific purposes. I specialize in capturing pictures and video by safely positioning a flying camera at angles never seen before. I do this with small remote control helicopters I build and design."

The trigger in working this talking point into the response is when the reporter used the term drone. Even though he didn't ask you about different types of drones, you answered his question and educated him and the audience. This is how YOU can choose information that makes it into the story. They won't (most likely) cut your verbal response in half especially if you lead with it.

It also may trigger the reporter to ask you more questions about the information you are trying to communicate, ie: different types of drones. Just make sure you are prepared to answer if they ask...

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

My take on this is simple I don't talk about it in the press, only with producers who want advice on how to get the shot. In Cyprus the last thing I want is dozens of numbty boys trying to get on the band wagon. Everyone who tries will damage the concept and the business. Already we have people who should know better, flying in controlled airspace 10 K out and more under the IMC - FPV syndrome. Some have been flying on approach paths into Pafos and Larnaka. I would not have the slightest hesitation in calling in the Army.

trec-r

Agree with everything you said here. The bit about the USA falling behind because of the FAA is also a great sound bite.

janoots2

@DennyR: That is the problem...when the media wants to reach out, there is nobody representing us so we cannot defend ourselves. ARIA just posted some great coverage on Hoverflys Facebook page a couple days ago.

trec-r

Example:

Talking Point: It's important to understand there are different types of drones used for different purposes.

Reporter: "So how did you capture this amazing footage with your drone?"

Pilot: "Thanks for the compliment. It's important to understand that there are different types of drones used for specific purposes. I specialize in capturing pictures and video by safely positioning a flying camera at angles never seen before. I do this with small remote control helicopters I build and design."

Also restating their question at the start of your answer if you can. If they don't have to edit in their question and your response they might be able to fit more of your answer into the news story. Some news stories only get a few seconds. However if you are talking to a report it is most likely going to be at least a minute long story.

Example: I captured this footage with my octocopter which is specifically designed for capturing videos and pictures in the safest possible way. This allows me to put a flying camera at angles and positions never seen.