DJI Naza 550 Yaw Oscillations

My DJI Naza 550 hexacopter is flying well except for an annoying yaw oscillation back and forth that is ruining my videos. I have tried adjusting my yaw gains anywhere from 80 to 180 but still can't get good results. I am using stock DJI motors and ESCs with 9x5 Graupners. I'm flying with a brushless gimbal from GotHeliRC and Sony Nex5n which does a good job at handleing the roll and pitch but the yaw is ruining my videos. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Here is a video..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksL5apCy948&feature=share&list=UUKHjK5v9utFKM4RyBmEn9Yg.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
Oh man do I know your pain, those are so annoying. I have the same set up except I wound up with a heavy lift kit after realizing that I was pushing the motors too much. My thoughts are that you can not just change the yaw settings with out adjustments to the other gains. they seem to work together. I am not an expert at the set ups at all and got some help from this forum and this week my videos are much better.

here are the current numbers for my heavy lift F550 and GotHeliRC gimbal 210, 210, 120, 195, 130, 130

Thank you for your reply. Those are some high gain numbers. I found one of your posts about a week ago that suggested 170 170 100 150 80 80. Are the ones that you have listed in this thread better? Do you have another video that you can post with these settings, I would love to see. This yaw problem is really ruining my videos. Also, what were the symptoms of pushing your motors too much? Thanks again.

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
I had thought that those numbers were working better but some one on here suggest the higher numbers. This Video I did over the weekend and the video is much better but I would like there to be even less yaw movement. this is with the higher gains.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
Also, I was using the stock DJI 2215 motors and after a 5 minute flight they were hot to the touch. They say it is alright to get warm but if you can't hold them for more than 2 seconds you are pushing them. I installed some 2814 700kv motors with 12 x 4 props and they stay cool and I get about 15% more flight time.

Thanks again. I saw your video prior to this and I like it. I can still see some minor yawing but I would be ok with that. The clips are all short, is there much more yawing in the longer uncut clips? Hey are you also flying FPV? I've got the SonyNex5n and I would have to get a HDMI converter and 5v power plus the video transmitter and I'm afraid of adding more weight to my setup. But it would sure be nice to have for framing purposes. Thanks again.
Stan

Just like any other trouble shooting start with the basics and work forward.

I would try stripping down to the essentials then set your gains up and see if you still have that yaw issue. It could be bad gps placement, it could be noise, the naza might not be secure, bad motor... anything really. Once you have it flying solid stripped down, and you know it works. Then, start adding back gear a little at a time to see if it comes back, playing and tuning the gains as you go.

I have the stock F550 ARF kit. I am lifting a 3s 5000mah battery and a JVC action camera. My gains are 160/160/160/160 110/110 and it flys stable and awesome in GPS/Atti modes.

I am waiting on my AeroXcraft Landing Gear right now. So I am sure I'll end up tweaking my gains as well.

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
Thanks again. I saw your video prior to this and I like it. I can still see some minor yawing but I would be ok with that. The clips are all short, is there much more yawing in the longer uncut clips? Hey are you also flying FPV? I've got the SonyNex5n and I would have to get a HDMI converter and 5v power plus the video transmitter and I'm afraid of adding more weight to my setup. But it would sure be nice to have for framing purposes. Thanks again.
Stan

Stan,
I do short clips in those videos only because they are the best action shots. there is not too much more yaw in any of the raw clips. I don't think it is perfect yet but certainly better than last weeks numbers for sure. Like I said I am not an expert at setting gains at all.
I fly only LOS right now but would love to some day set up FPV. I think it would sure make the quality better but all it is right now is more weight and more money. I think I have spent enough of this guy for right now.
One of the things that helped me was setting the atti gains high enough that if you switch from atti mode to manual the MR won't drop or climb dramatically. the numbers I am using right now hold pretty steady when I make the switch.
Russell

skyranger

2814 700kv motors & 12" props on Heavy Lift F550

Also, I was using the stock DJI 2215 motors and after a 5 minute flight they were hot to the touch. They say it is alright to get warm but if you can't hold them for more than 2 seconds you are pushing them. I installed some 2814 700kv motors with 12 x 4 props and they stay cool and I get about 15% more flight time.

I need to fly in thin air at extreme elevation...on a mountaintop about 12,000 ft above sea level and wanting beefy lift/big props to carry H3-2D gimbal and so interested in your experience with your customized heavy lift f550 with the 2814 700kv motors and 12" props. what motors and what props did you choose and any integration issues like with motor mountng holes?
thanks

censrd

Hi rwskier, cheers for posting you gains, i've been playing around for ages trying to find the sweet spot and after trying the above settings it's now quite stable and not fidgeting. Only thing i have noted was that switching to manual did result in either a climb or decent fairly quickly so in your experience would you suggest higher or lower atti gains? Also noted that my motors were a bit warmer than usual would the high gains have that effect? Still fine to touch and hold after flying but warmer than usual.