DJI is releasing the Ground Station function for Phantom 2 Vision and Vision+

DJI is releasing the Ground Station function for Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision+ users at 9am US East Coast Time today, June 24. This function will be available within the updated DJI Vision app for iOS and Android.

Overview
The DJI Vision app is being updated to iOS v1.0.41 and Android v1.0.50.

Major New Features
Ground Station support with:
*Planned flight missions of up to 16 custom waypoints.
*One-touch “Go Home” function.
*Flight safety protection:
**3.1 miles (5km) flight distance limit.
**Ground station is automatically disabled when the Phantom battery level falls below 30%.
**1640ft (500m) maximum flight radius from HOME point, 656ft (200m) altitude limit.

Important: Ensure that your Phantom is running the latest firmware v3.04. Download the updated app from the Apple App Store or Google Play on your phone. If the app is not immediately available on Google Play, you may download it at http://m.dji.net/djivision

Introducing Ground Station for the Phantom 2 Vision Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf1uwvdobA

Tahoe Ed

Finally out. The extension to the Vision/Vision + app allows for waypoints. It is less feature rich than the 2.4gHz Data Link with BT app but it is also free and works with the 2.4 gHz wifi of the vision and vision +.

harens

Some issues to get started. I upgraded my firmware and my android app. I now have the selection button on the mobile app for ground station. I do not have any maps. Can't seem to figure out how to download an app. FAQ's suggests if you have an internet connection maps auto download. I do not understand. I must have the mobile phone connected to the Phantom via the wireless extender to get the camera app to work. But then I do not have an internet connection to the phone. If I connect the phone to the internet via my household wifi, I do not have the mobile connected to the Phantom so the camera app does not work. Maybe I am dense or I am missing something really basic here or I would see more questions on it. Please help me.

Tahoe Ed

You need to cache the maps when you have wifi. Open the app without connecting to the phantom. Go to the GS portion of the app. You will see the US. Now zoom in to the location you want to fly in. Get as low as it will allow you to go that way you will have the detailed map on the location. Make sure that you move around to capture all the area you will be flying in. When you get to the flying location put your device in airplane mode and enable wifi. Turn on the RC Tx, start up the wifi extender and then power up the Phantom. Once you get wifi connection to the extender and full GPS lock, only one flash, then open the app. You should have a feed from the camera and when you go to the GS app you should have a map. You may have to zoom in to your exact location. I hope this works for you.

harens

Hey thanks so much. When I did this previously, a warning came up that I was not connected to the drone, so I stopped. Thi time I just swiped and got to the GS part and a map appeared. So I think I am ok.

harens

opps, couple more things. took it out today and the maps were there, but their orientation seemed a bit off (close streets / roads roads were not parallel to the actual roads) so I chickened out. One thing I read is that you have to put your first market over the the spot that represents the current location, and add altitude so it goes up...is that correct? Also, I think my first use needs to be in a more open spot than I picked to be sure I can figure out the map orientation properly. Any advice is welcome.

This app sounds great --- EXCEPT for the 1640ft (500m) maximum flight radius from HOME point. The whole idea of autonomous flight is going beyond LOS and extending your human capabilities.

I wonder if DJI implemented this limit because of the paranoia from the FAA thugs in Washington?

Nice to see DJI tucking it's cowardly tail between it's scrawney legs and whimpering like a starving puppy to it's master.