DJI IOSD Mini vs. Mark II

Tahoe Ed

The iOSD mini cannot record flight data, the MK II can. The MK II has two can bus ports, the mini does not. The MK II can switch between two camera inputs the mini cannot.

Tahoe Ed

The mini does not require connection to a power supply and runs off of the can bus. The MK II requires you connect it to power. The mini is lighter. This is important for installations on smaller craft.

Idahobell

Banned
I'm not too concerned about recording the data. Does the mini run off the can bus or can it operate directly off the Naza-M V2? Does it transmit directly to an Ipad or does it need anything else to do so?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

It runs off the Can Bus. Yes you will need a video source, a video down link and a monitor. the iPad does not enter into the equation.

If you buy the mini i think you will need to purchase the Can Hub unit for more Can Bus ports. If you get the IOSD 2 you don't need the hub because you have 3 Can Bus ports and you might save some weight.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
How accurate is the altitude reading? I've read where some of the OSD don't get accurate readings. Also, is the reading in meters only or can it be switched to feet?

It's only in meters (as far as I know). I find the readings accurate enough. Just have a conversion chart with you from ft to m and you'll be fine. I've done a few height specific jobs for architects and they were more than happy!

Topflight

Thanks for t hat information. Do you rely on the voltage reading of your main batteries? Have you checked the readings and compared them to a volt-meter?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Thanks for t hat information. Do you rely on the voltage reading of your main batteries? Have you checked the readings and compared them to a volt-meter?

I have telemetry from the iOSD, the transmitter (Spektrum) and I check with a volt-meter before and after each flight. The iOSD has been very reliable so far (one-year old this month).

Cool?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you buy the mini i think you will need to purchase the Can Hub unit for more Can Bus ports. If you get the IOSD 2 you don't need the hub because you have 3 Can Bus ports and you might save some weight.

No it just plugs into the PMU.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
How accurate is the altitude reading? I've read where some of the OSD don't get accurate readings. Also, is the reading in meters only or can it be switched to feet?

The ascend/descend reading is parts of a meter and appears to be quite accurate, I know that the EZOSD altitude readings are awful.

Idahobell

Banned
Considering I don't do Apple products and the BTU is only compatible with the IPAD I will just go with the Mini by itself.

Meters only dude thats not a problem I've not used the mini only the IOSD 2, Being able to change from metric to imperial would be a nice option to have