DJI F550 unexpected control and crash!

z1900

Hello, new to the page and multirotors. I built my F550 late last fall Naza m v2 with GPS. I did a great deal of research before and during the build to make the build as good as possible and the end result to be enjoyable. Everything went great with the build and setup. All I want to do is short range video, every time I fly it is in GPS mode. I have made several flights all a success flying. So a couple a days ago I decided to fly and video the area I live after a large snowfall. I set the compass, set the GPS got a home lock took off let hover about 4ft off the ground for a few seconds to make sure it was going to be stable. That was fine went up about 20ft turned left then all the sudden it pitched full forward and took off. I hand no control what so ever. It crashed into the snow about 70yds away. Needless to say I'm disheartened I have really enjoyed everything about the multirotor experience. I'm open to the forums experience and a possible explanation. Thanks Darrell

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

You've just been initiated into the DJI "flyaway" club. It typically occurs when operating in a flight mode slaved to GPS. The typical salvation is to switch to a manual or attitude flight mode. A lesson is here related to learning to fly in non GPS flight modes. Loss of GPS leaves you at the mercy of the Gods if you lack the ability to fly without it. You could have lost satellites or just had a temporary glitch in the FC. Flying beyond radio range is another item that causes flyaways, especially if failsafes have not been set in the FC and transmitter.