AerialMediaPros.com DJI F550 Heavy Lift Conversion, Larger Props and Motors >Now Available<

This is a short intro on the Heavy Lift Conversion Kit from AerialMediaPros.com
We have CNC'd and anodized our own Aluminum Motor plates. These are ready to mount your Avroto or AXI 2814 motors. They extend the length of the arm, allowing you to run a 11-12" Prop. With this added power and prop combo, you can now safely fly a decent sized Camera Gimbal and DSLR camera.

The Copter shown is a F550 NAZA ARF, Built with The AMP Conversion Set, AXI 2814/22 motors, Droidworx Exstended Landing Gear, Photohigher AV130 Gimbal, FPV 520 Cam, and 1.3 Ghz Video TX. The video was a little rough due to the Cheap, Unbalanced 11x3.8 Slow Fly Props. I am sure video will be much smoother and clear once the Xoar props arrive :)

Weight Of F550 Converted with AXI motors, Gimbal, Landing gear, RTF without lipo = 2404 grams

Weight RTF With 8000 mAh Lipo, Landing gear, AV130, and Canon T2I = 4042 grams
With this RTF set up, and 11X3,8 Props, I was getting right at 5min flight time flying the Canon T2I (766 grams). Exspect closer to 10 min with a GoPro or lighter camera. I will be trying out diffrent prop and lipo configurations to get longer flight times.

In the stock configuration, with the larger motors, 11x3.8 props, and conversion kit (No landing gear, camera, or gimbal) I was getting 15.36min flight time using a 4S 6000mAh lipo.

Feel free to email aerialmediapros@yahoo.com or call 888-557-6791 with any questions.

We are taking Pre orders now, the First Production round Begins Shipping On around May 4.

HEAVY LIFT CONVERSION (Set of 6 Mounts) $69
The Conversion Kit consists of (6) Machined Adapters, and Mounting Hardware.

AVROTO CONVERSION PACKAGE (6 AVROTO 2814's and Conversion Kit) $385
When Purchased as a combo, You save $40.

They will be available for purchase through Our Website, under the DJI Innovations section of the store. http://aerialmediapros.com/store/index.php

You can also purchase directly through paypal. Just email me what you would like to order, and I will send you an invoice.

Thanks,

Patrick

LargePropConversion.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

F550ConversionBeach3.jpg

QUICK DEMO VIDEO

Last edited by a moderator:

cre8it

Not only does it look nice it flys insane! I'm running AVROTOs with stock speed controls. 6000 battery. Thanks for letting me be a beta tester Patrick!! When can I post pictures?

Not only does it look nice it flys insane! I'm running AVROTOs with stock speed controls. 6000 battery. Thanks for letting me be a beta tester Patrick!! When can I post pictures?

No worries Bud, Im glad you like it. FYI, I just lowered the Gains on mine a little more, and took it out for a quick Night Flight. Using the 8000mAh Lipo, It was rock Solid. If your getting Little Ocilations in yours, Lower the Atti Gains to 51-53%, The Manual Gains are currently at 109%. I am on the coast and its a little windy here, But the copter really held a smooth hover. Looks like with all the Extra power and thrust, Gains need to be turned down. Maybe because the copter works alot less to get a desired movement. Im no engineer, but looks like smaller gains are deffinently the way to go with this set up.

mailman35

im running 2814's(suppos) on my f550 and i need to work on tweaking my gains when the weather gets nicer again. ( hopefully by weekend)

(edit)
also have you noticed with the 2814's that the hex will hover at 40%? i was playing with the failsafe on the naza ands noticed that it wouldnt land on its own if failsafe was kicked in.

wbal57

Can you go over the availability again. This looks like a good upgrade. But the original post said available after april 4th? Should that be may 4th?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
i dont see the point.. Thats a lot of wonga for an upgrade not approved by the manufacturer of the frame.. I have to ask about the strength of the frame system to cope with this amendment.. which I believe it is and not an upgrade but a hack as I doubt that DJI would approve it..

Sorry Patrick there are better solutions IMO

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Patrick I applause innovation and your mod looks good quality but I dont see the benefits. Well other than tying to carry more than the base frame was originally designed for..

I am guessing AWSOME is some satirical reply rather than a factual one..

Good luck with the mod

Dave

Kilby

So what size props are you spinning on there then? I don't see any mention of that, it just says "heavy lift".

-Terry

I built the conversion to run up to 12' Props. I am currently running 12x3.8 and they seem really smooth. I have the design for runing 13's but feel that is overkill. It will also change the moment on the arm quite a bit, so I stuck with the 12' design. All my quality video from the Octo was shot flying 12" props. The 13" seemed to be to twitchy, maybe too much pitch/bite. So I figured running 12's on the F550 would give similar results.
So what size props are you spinning on there then? I don't see any mention of that, it just says "heavy lift".

-Terry

Dave,

There are quite a few threads of people wanting to run Larger motors and Props on their F550 frames. There are already a few that are drilling the arms to run Avroto's (I dont think they got DJI approval either). I personally wanted to carry a decent size camera, while using a cheaper frame/FC. I wanted something that I was not affraid to loose or crash. This is what led to me developing this kit. Now with this conversion, I can carry a decent camera with nice gimbal comfortably, and at a much lesser exspence compared to my other Heavy lift Copters. Am I going to do professional video with the F550, NO. But Flying over water/marina's/beaches and such is no longer as frighting, and will be a blast to film. If I Loose this F550 copter, its allot cheaper than loosing my Full out Octo or Skyjib. The benifits start to rack up pretty quickly. The main Benefit for most will be, that they can now run Larger motors and Props. As for the Frames original design. I believe it was built with a price point in mind. If you look closer at the Stock Motors, they are not exactly top quality. DJI could have put larger motors on it no problem. But as a business decision, it wouldn't make sence. Not when 95% of buyers will be happy with the smaller motors and stock configuration. It in no way means thats what the frame was designed for. DJI simply put out an ARF at a very affordable MSRP. Adding large motors and more parts would only negate that and raise the MSRP. The Frame easily handles the extra power, and there is no more flexing than already present on the frames. I have done durability testing with the Stock F550, flying it into trees, Cart wheeling it into a fence, and slamming it on the ground. If it handles all of that, I am not worried about the extra force of larger motors. I did find it funny you kept talking about DJI's approval and such, Especially When I see all the aftermarket landing gear sets, and camera mounts for the F550. It just made me laugh inside a little, thinking "Hmmmmm I wonder if they got DJI approval for those hacks". Simply put, I saw a propblem (people wanting to run larger motors and props), and I solved it. Thats it, I am not trying to redesign the wheel, just made it fit a few more applications.

cre8it

Nicely stated Patrick…

Are those LED lights on your conversion approved by DJI?

DroidWorx might want to do some analysis on the cross-leg supports for my ADX-4 Heavy Lift Extended I purchased. Am I the only one that had them fail after 4 outings? They called those a good idea for a heavy lifter?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nicely stated Patrick…

Are those LED lights on your conversion approved by DJI?

DroidWorx might want to do some analysis on the cross-leg supports for my ADX-4 Heavy Lift Extended I purchased. Am I the only one that had them fail after 4 outings? They called those a good idea for a heavy lifter?

Now then there crebit.. lights are a tad different than frame / motor mount adaptions.. so just hang on.. As I said I applaud innovation but proved... Not sure what u are on about over the DW crossleg supports.. I have flown and admitted to rather heavy landing coz of my poor piloting skills that have bust DW landing frames but it was better than busting the arms / centre plates.. Beleive me I have spent more buck than most... well apart from RTryder maybe on this crazy addiction.. as you can see from my post counts I am dedicated to this forum and to its members looking for answers that are credible and not somthing they are going to invest in and have there trousers downed. Which BTW over the last 2 years I have been on the receiving end of being well and flaming truely rogered until I learnt better. My contributions to this forum are with one aim.. to prevent peeps getting the treatment I have experienced.. I have much better things to do but I am pasionate about this..

@ Patrick I hear you on the disposability over shot cost.. I would chuck my 450 into stuff I would not chuck my ADX3 into because of the cost implications.. Please feel free to show your footage and pictures of the quality of the builds you create as your web site does not seem to show much and certainly does not include any low end builds, well unless I am looking at the wrong site.

As far as people wanting to mod their 550/450 frames then thats fine coz I understand budget restraint but lets give um proved amendments that are proved to work and give them a good basis to make an informative decision to go with an upgrade to their frame that is proved.

Dave

Droider,
I appreciate you wanting to see some of my other builds. That is something I pride myself on. Others have said my build quality is top notch. I feel it absolutely must be, or else it shouldn't be built at all.

Here is a link to one of my AD8 Builds.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ift-AP-Build&highlight=Ad8+professional+build

And you can find a smaller budget F550 build here.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ATION-gt-VIDEOS-lt&highlight=F550+build+video

Thanks for your input and opinions,

Take care,
Patrick

wordupmag

Wow...you rock! I want this upgrade. This is just what I was looking for. Can you pre-solder the bullet connectors? I built my hexa by watching your video on youtube so thanks again.

Rick~K

Free Bird
A Great reply Patrick! In the 37yr I've been enjoying RC almost every model has been modded in some shape or form. If it gets the task at hand completed then that's what is needed. I like you, would rather lose a 1000 dollar model than a 5000, and feel better taking a chance with a "may lose your model" flight.