Need Help! DJI F550 FPV

Egan Rzonca

Hi everybody, new here. Currently new to the hobby, but just built a DJI F550 with NAZA M V2, H3-3D Gimbal with GP3 silver and DJI Groundlink. Was looking to add FPV and was wondering if there was a way to get FPV through the GP3 and still be able to record at the same while having the FPV image displayed on my iPad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, there is a simple connector that you buy that plugs into the USB on the go pro and sends video out. The fpv doesn't go through the go pro like you mentioned. You will take the "video out" from the go pro and wire it into the "video in" on your fpv transmitter. you could also build your own connector if your so inclined but they are pretty cheap. The h3-3d gimbal should already be wired up for that IIRC. There is a USB on the h3-3d that powers the go pro and sends video out. I have a mini OSD so when I connected the GCU from the h3-3d to the OSD the video just worked without having to really do anything but I did have to remove my original fpv camera first. Not sure how this would all play out with the DJI ground link system. I'm sure it would be different. The go pro still records as normal meaning you have to put a card in it and hit record before you launch.

RENOV8R

Yes it's very easy but using a GP for FPV has been discussed for years and isn't really recommended by many. You'll know why when you're a kilometre out and it shuts down. And there's lots of things that can cause it to shut down.

- Battery empty
- Card full, or bad sector
- Too cold
- Too hot
- Firmware bug causing it to turn off
-receiver interference (GPs throw out an incredible amount of noise)

Besides that, there is some latency (although most say it's not that noticeable unless you're flying a missile), FOV isn't made for FPV and they suck in low light conditions. All in all it's much safer to use a second dedicated flight cam and you'll be much happier with the image quality. That being said, these are just my observations. There's lotsa guys out there too who have used GP as FPV camera for years with no problem.

ChrisRL

+1 for what Renov8r said.
I'm running a similar setup in a modified Helipal Storm 6 drone, also around 55o class but a hex, with an h4-3d for my GP H4Black, "live view" out via the h4's USB output into my mini OSD unit (Naza v2 FC) to add telemetry and then out to a dedicated fpv transmitter. It's been okay but now I just installed a very tiny dedicated fpv camera with its own vtx which will be a true fpv camera, and this way when I'm flying one direction and shooting another, at least I can see both ways at near the same time. Very useful when there's more than one person at the controls. I have the h4 set up to either respond to the second operator's inputs, or, when that transmitter is off, to default to a follow view setting with a smoothing lag built in. At that point, the tilt of the camera is controllable via a knob on my flying transmitter, much like any other of the single-operator DJI drones.