DJI F450 Arms Color Front and Back and Futaba T6XA

I should start assembling my F450 with Naza this weekend. Kinda new to the Multirotor Hobby. Have a couple of questions before I begin.

1. DJI Manual recommends using the red arms as front and white as rear. I know its just a matter of convention, but which one usually affords better visibility and orientation, white as front or red as front ? I see some flyers using white as front taking a cue from automobiles that have white headlights and red tail-lights. I am flying the Syma X1 for some time now and it takes quite a bit of concentration to figure out front and back , specially when the model is at eye level at 50 feet and flying away from you.

2. I have a Futaba T6XA (40 MHz FM) and associated Six channel receiver that I plan to use for the F450. I am aware that modern 2.GHz Radios offer Spread Spectrum Frequency Hopping technology ensuring better immunity against interference. Since there is no R/C activity at all where I will be flying, I am hoping I wont have any interference issues. Is it compatible in every other way with Naza ?

Thanks for your help !

olof

Osprey
On boats and airplanes a white light is the back. Then green and red side lights are left and right. Boats and airplanes dont have "headlights" they will ruin your night vision, planes do have landing lights, but those are kept off most of the time especially at night except for the last part of a landing. I think this is where the thinking of white tail comes in.

Personally I put white i the back and I put the LED facing back as well. Most of us find tail in flying the easiest, so this makes sense. If you use the MR for video, the camera will face away from you most of the time and having the brightest lights and flashing LED around the camera can be distracting in the shot.

Just my take on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

t.rexxer

Good advice olof. I was curious about that also for my upcoming 450 build. Being a heli pilot, I am also comfortable with the tail facing me during hover. Having the led facing rear and camera facing front makes good sense. Thank you.

Good advice olof. I was curious about that also for my upcoming 450 build. Being a heli pilot, I am also comfortable with the tail facing me during hover. Having the led facing rear and camera facing front makes good sense. Thank you.

Thanks Olof and t.rexxer,

I finally assembeled the 450 with Red arms as front and White as back and that's pretty good for daytime flying. Now putting Red LEDs at back. Feel that Red might afford better visibility of the tail during night flying. Might or might not put any lights in front or sides to begin with.

I agree with you guys that "tail-in" flying is the easiest, specially for a nube like me, who is not very comfortable with Rudder as of now. Since I fly in a relative small park in a built-up area, its far too risky to fly dis-oriented. Both F450 and NAZA-M are behaving pretty well, except that the Craft tends to drift a little bit with the wind. Maybe something to do with the gains.