CX-4/wookong setup issue? check my setup?

1.8turbo

View attachment 4369
The gps sits on that aluminum post when the body is installed. Seems like I followed their physical layout requirements as per the documentation.

Setup:
avroto 2814
4s 4200 35C
10X5 graupner first crash, second gemfan carbon 11X4.7 SF
exceed proton, plush re brand 30A, atmel, stock f/w
frsky radio

I have countless hours flying multiwii so I can confirm that this is not a piloting error, my wookong CX-4 has been fighting me. I must have set something up wrong? I am assuming that it could be my settings or the radio environment? I know that it has more advanced hardware than I was using but wookong is also touted as very plug and play, which it has been in terms of initial implementation.

-My first crash was next to some airplane hangars with wifi signals, in a fairly dense suburb, about a half mile maybe from the airport tower. I had the gains all at default values, flying in high wind, in gps mode, when it seems like the gps was fighting me really hard? It seemed to be oscillating between my control and gps quickly? Set it down crappily and lost two props when it flipped. I had my 1280 video link on.

-Second is slightly more puzzling, I looked up other similar setups (auw/motor and prop combo) and tuned my gains as I saw fit. Maybe I need some advice on these gains: basic: 140,140, 145 on yaw and 120 on vert.. In the atti gains I have 130, 130. On this flight I was in atti. mode so I was surprised to have it deny my inputs. I did some previous testing with this setup and the thing feels like it is on rails. When it is working for me, it flies amazingly smooth?! The quad just banked and yawed on me at what I would call a HIGHLY INOPPORTUNE TIME as you will see. I had no running video link on this flight.

Whats going on here?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:

You need to remove all sources of interference and try to isolate the problem. I have an almost similar setup that behaves nicely.

Remove the video tx
Don't fly in GPS mode when the signal is bad.
Try to recalibrate your Frsky in WK configuration screen and leave throttle in mid when you close the wizard.
I remember some issues with FRsky and DJI a while back so check it out.

My gains on 5.02 firmware:
Pitch = 140
Roll = 140
Yaw = 220
Vertical = 90
Attitude Gains (both) = 90
Disturbed Gain = 90

A friendly tip. The CX4 flies much better with simonk firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I had problems using a 1.2ghz video TX near the GPS module. After having the video TX on for about 1min I'd start to get white flashes on the LED. I never flew it though since I noticed the problem when it was powered up on my work bench. I've since moved to 5.8ghz but if you can move the video TX to where the carbon frame is shielding it from the GPS you probably would be ok.

You'll see the GPS frequency is close to your VTX... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals#Frequency_information

Dewster

I noticed some issues with my video transmitter too. I powered the video transmitter from my flight battery. I receive more white lights when it's powered than when it's not. Plus, powering my camera by using the 5 volt on my receiver causes the camera gimble to twitch. It could all be related to your video transmitter.

1.8turbo

interesting, I wonder if it can have any effect when video t/x is off also. I know that using two antennas next to each other the way some people do with radio modules sometimes is not favorable. During testing before both of these flights, including some having the video t/x ON, I was watching for the white flashes from the led and never had any. The second more unusual crash I had no VTX on but it was installed.