Custom hexacopter build. Will this work?

crtx

Hi from Houston, TX.,

My tax refund just arrived yesterday and I have made up my mind. I'm building my own UAV. I have

done a lot of reading over the last couple days and this is what I've come up with.

------------------------

Hexacopter Project

Frame: 1x - Tarot-Frame-T960

Motors: 6x - Tarot-Motor-4114-320kv

ESC: 6x - Hobbywing-Acc-HW-30A-OPTO-ESC-B-Type

Flight Controller: 1x - 3DR Pixhawk

GPS: 1x - 3DR uBlox GPS

Propellers: ???

Batteries: 2x - 6S 22.2V, 5000mah

Transmitter: 1x - Futaba T8J - Receiver: 1x Futaba R2008 SB

FPV Parts:

FPV Monitor: 1x Black Pearl 7-inch 2CH 5.8 GHz AV output and 1-channel AV input

5.8Ghz 200mw video transmitter/receiver pair

------------------------

My questions are:

1) Will all of this work together?
2) What am I missing?
3) What size propellers?

I would like to hear any suggestions or criticism. I'm not locked into any of this yet so changes

can still be made.

Thank you to all,

Craig

DJI Phantom 2 NV fully loaded.
DJI Phantom 2 NV Zen & GoPro.
Blade 350 QX naked.

crtx

Bump....

I'd really like some advice, negative or positive on my project. Anyone?

Thanks,

Craig

wolph42

Warning: complete newbie here!! So take my answer with some grains of salt.

First let me help you out with the propeller. I created this: http://bit.ly/1gmDQ3E wich helps you calculate the max size of your prop.

What I've learned so far:
low KV (which your motors have) means they can pull a lot of weight are quite efficient (IF you add the right propellers) and should come with large propellers with significant pitch.
They WILL pull a lot of amps so make sure that your ESC's can handle [1.2 x (max AMP of the motors)].

I would suggest to go for the max size propellers (which according to my calculator is 14 inch, but mayhep the specs of your frame shed some extra light on that.
As for pitch. The higher the pitch the bigger the lift BUT the less stable the rig. You'll need ecalc (just google it) to see where you get at, but I would aim for the golden 50% throttle (at hover speed).

I've also written this: My first post which might help you understand things a bit (after all I'm also just learning everything).

edit: here they suggest 15 inch props (which won't fit !!! so the motors are probly too heavy (=too low KV) ). Also it appears that your ESC can 'just' handle the max pull of the motors. From what I've learned that might be tricky, so I would suggest you go for something more in the area of 35. On the other hand if you go for lighter motors, then 30 is enough.
I've updated my calculator and the most optimal is 14 inch blades at 570 kV.
But if you have a lot of payload you might want to go off the 'optimal' curve and go for the more heavy motors. Here ecalc pops up. My xls just gives a rough outline.

O and some general advise:
- buy a +/- quadcopter from e.g. Amazon and get some practice as you WILL crash!!
- after you get the hang of that, use your hex rig WITHOUT any payload (FPV gear) this saves quite some cash when you crash that thing.
Once you get the hang of *that* and are comfortable flying it: then install the FPV gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolph42

[SUB]I don't know if anyone read my earlier post already, but the calculator I added was WRONG (corrected now) and I've also updated it. Current (correct) version is V3.[/SUB]

Last edited by a moderator: