Custom hexa build and some theory.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am very happy with my Xaircraft v8 but I need more lift capacity. So I'm putting my fabrication shop to use. Here's my parts list:

1) laminated carbon 90deg layup, 8 layeres 282 carbon. used for body and any other parts I will need down the road.

2) bought .825" x .037" wall carbon tube from http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/.

3) 1/4" delrin sheet for body/motor mounts.

4) Xaircraft FC and AHRS.

5) Avroto 2814 short shafts

6) maytech 30 amp esc.

7) graupner 11x5 props to start with. Mcmaster-carr plastic 8mm to 4mm spacers.

8) Gens Ace 5500mah 3s batteries.

9) JR 9503 with single sat.

10) Sony Nex5n, when it is actually available.

11) AV130 and isolated shock mount for fixed camera.

OK. So here are a few things that come to mind that may help some beginners and will require some experts input.

As far as weight is concerned, it occurred to me that if you use square tubing there is no need for mounts! We only use them to give the round shape a flat surface to bolt to the body. I know round tube has much better torsional strength but is it so much better as to make it necessary?

As far as dust is concerned cutting carbon fiber. A few people got me quite scared of dealing with this but I have to say, i took some precautions and it is no worry. I wore a respirator and sprayed water on the sheet before hand. The flow of air goes through the router from top to bottom so I dont think I will encounter rust issues. But the water worked great and i just shop vac'd it up after ward. I used a straight cut single O flute and had very little "tear." This is just for those thinking of CNC'ing it themselves.

Here's on of my biggest questions that gets reposted in many different posts. How different is the motor balancing amongst the higher end motors? Will an AXI have measurably less vibes than an Avroto or Pulso? The pletenbergs are claiming double checked balancing on their motors with no vibrations. I am tired of stringing rubber bands to my camera and the landing gear hoping I will magically isolate enough vibes to get usable footage. So how much energy should be focused on props and how much should be focused on the motor and prop holder? I see some prop holders go a bit high up on the shaft therefore making (theoretically) an amplified vibration assuming the balancing is not perfectly true.

More theory.....I am inclined to take sides with the idea that a rigid body is ideal. I think the droidworx have the right idea making a rigid frame and separately isolating the vibration. If the body had a bunch of play that energy form vibrations could theoretically be amplified. right? If vibration is energy, the only way to get rid of it is to transfer it into something else quickly. Of course it is better to just not have any vibrations to begin with but that is not likely for most of us. Visualize this....my Xaircraft has very flexible landing gear and foam tubes attached to it. So when the thing vibrates in the air you can see a lot of movement in the landing gear. It is constantly shaking but the body and craft seem very stable. But with that much mass moving up and down it may be amplifying the vibrations. And my gopro will show the proof, as I get massive vibration in the image. Yet it doesnt happen to everyone who has the same unit. So whats different from unit to unit?

I would love to fabricate something that would efficiently convert the vibrations into thin air. Perhaps just more mass is the answer. I have even tried soldering a seperate ESC to the motor from a hard drive to see if it helps and I cant say i noticed much of a difference. Uggg, I dont know the answer. Isnt there a physicist on here that can intelligently decipher my jabber into facts? There has to be a simple way using rubber bands and weights to isolate any frequency range of harmonics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070441@N02/6110252231/in/set-72157627586744190

Last edited by a moderator: