Tau Labs couple of different things you can fly if you get bored with cookie-cutter multies

matwelli

Well, you can do this with any controller, but the ability to access custom mixes right from the PC interface makes it easy with the open pilot.

not sure if you guys have seen these experiments, working towards a nice VTOL setup, experimented with control vanes, flying wings and bicopters with CG set way above the thrust line (very sucessfull)

The first experiment, built from the remains of a pizza box flyer, cut down and buggered around untill it worked, uses two servo to control pitch and yaw, the props and vanes are ABOVE the CG - was a pig to fly, got out of control of you looked sideways at it, and no good with wind

Second experiment, using a wing of an edge 540, motors above CG, big elevons below, showed some potential, have progressed as need a stronger wing (every crash tore this wing up) - keep the volume up and listen to the "peanut gallery" a 5yr and 7 yr old girls watching(not mine)

Now we progress to vectored thrust, CG below the props

Now, my favorite, and the best so far, this time the weight is well above the props, CG at about 90mm above props

Want something different ? YAW Quad , 4 motors, two yaw mechanisims on the rear, so she pivots around the rear motors, exact opposite to a tri copter

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Mat, you never cease to amaze me mate, if it wasn't for people like you, then the MR world would still consist of contra-rotating props only. I'm sure one day you will invent a new form of flight...but I must admit the edge 540 wing jobbie was brill, the sound of it crashing had me chuckling away, keep at it.

Ross

matwelli

thanks ross :)
yea, i had a softspot for the edge 540 wing myself, should have cut out the quiet bits and throwen in some benny hill music !

only just getting started...... heres the start of the next project

Last edited by a moderator: