Cooked 2212 Motor?

Co_Rotor

I picked up a used, RTF F550 a few weeks back, and had it flying successfully. The Tarot 2-D gimbal on it wasn't working, so I had to do some work to get that up & running, but I got it. It flew fine, but I never did figure out what all the switches on my Walkera Devo 7 actually did. I stuck with the joysticks on it, and it flew fine. I was able to program the Aux2 dial to control the tilt of the gimbal, but that's as far as I got.

Fast forward to a few nights ago, and I thought I'd be smart & try to 'reassign' some of the switches so that I'd know what they actually did. Mostly, I wanted to figure out flight modes & the return to home feature. I thought I'd figured it out, but apparently I was wrong. While messing with the Tx settings, somehow my gimbal tilt quit working, but I gained the ability to control the return to home (as determined by the LED on my Naza M2 going to yellow from green when the switch is flipped).

The same night as I was messing with the Tx & settings in the Naza software, I put carbon fiber 1038 props on the stock 2212 motors, replacing the stock plastic 9443 ones.

I took it out yesterday to fly it, and it was acting all sorts of weird - as soon as I'd try to take off, it wanted to tilt forward and flip. I had to quickly cut back the throttle on several take-off attempts to save it. I was able to get it airborne, but it still acted strange in flight - mostly on the throttle, either increasing or decreasing height fairly rapidly without any throttle changes. The last time I was landing, it flipped in the grass, and even though I quickly brought the throttle to zero, several of the motors continued to spin (while the drone was inverted). I had to carefully (and quickly) disconnect the battery to shut it off. Once I uprighted it, I started checking things over and found that one of my motors now clicks noticeably when I turn it. It turns, but has a definite click as it goes around. None of my other 5 motors do this.

I'm really new to drone flying, and R/C in general. I don't really know where to start to figure out:
  • Why it wasn't flying true, as it had previously. It's probably a setting I changed, but I have no idea which one?!
  • Did I ruin a motor, or could the ESCs be messed up somehow?

Can anyone offer some help as to what I should check first?

My setup:
attachment.php

I'm uploading a vid of the motor clicking, but it hasn't processed yet. Will update when it's ready.

Thanks!
-Mark

Attachments

• Drone_Pic1.jpg
    Drone_Pic1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 202

cdrking

You may want to check to see if any of the mounting screws are too long. Maybe they are protruding into the workings of the motor.

Co_Rotor

Well, I pulled the offending motor off, and everything appeared to be fine. Once I removed the prop and the mounting screws, the clicking went away. I've put it back together, and it seems to be spinning freely like the others. Not sure what changed, but it seems alright now?

As far as figuring out/programming what switches do what, does anyone know of any "Tx for dummies" out there to help me out? Apparently these Devo 7's are notoriously cryptic & tough to program, which isn't helping a newb like me.

Ronan

Well, I pulled the offending motor off, and everything appeared to be fine. Once I removed the prop and the mounting screws, the clicking went away. I've put it back together, and it seems to be spinning freely like the others. Not sure what changed, but it seems alright now?

As far as figuring out/programming what switches do what, does anyone know of any "Tx for dummies" out there to help me out? Apparently these Devo 7's are notoriously cryptic & tough to program, which isn't helping a newb like me.

Interesting... so with the prop off it doesn't click, and once installed again, the clicking did not come back?

I would check how the prop is installed. It could have something to do with it being over tighten and making the motor shaft bind or something like that...

Co_Rotor

Interesting... so with the prop off it doesn't click, and once installed again, the clicking did not come back?

I would check how the prop is installed. It could have something to do with it being over tighten and making the motor shaft bind or something like that...

Yeah, all I did was remove the four motor mounting screws, and the prop nut. Pulled the prop off, and spun the motor by hand. A couple of spins and the clicking seems to have cured itself. The props are all newly installed, and the previous ones were the plastic self-tightening variety. Maybe I overdid it installing the new ones?