Considering a Phantom 2 for First Multirotor - A Few Specific Questions

Pura Vida

First off, hello all, new to the forum and multirotors for that matter, so please be gentle...:)

Second, for the purpose of this post lets pretend the FAA is not a concern.

So, with those two caveats here is my situation;

I am considering picking up a Phantom 2 in order to perform some aerial photography/video of my work projects. I am a hydrographer (sea floor mapping/surveying), which consists of a lot of dredge support of navigable channels and harbors. Rather than chartering conventional aircraft to take pictures out of the window as I do now, I was thinking a multirotor would be a great option and provide me with more flexibility. Talking with my local hobby store they directed me towards the DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-2D gimbal and BTU. I really like the idea of programming my flight path before hand and allowing the copter to fly its own course. But of course this has led me to a few questions:

1) Assuming I don't program it to fly into anything, how well does this feature perform? Is it reliable?

2) Can it only be programed from an iPad? What about an iphone?

3) Can you program your route before you are on site? It would be better if I could do it back in the office.

4) Do I have to have cell service and/or wifi for this to work? Many times I don't have either as I work in very remote areas of Alaska

5) What is supplying the maps for the program? Google earth? This could be an issue if I don't have data access. See question 4.

6) How does the program/app actually communicate with copter during flight? DJI calls it bluetooth but I've never seen bluetooth work at the distances they were talking about?

7) Do the GPS receivers only use GPS satellites or do they also have access to GLONASS?

8) Are there better options out there for my use? My real preference would be able to program my route/way points in the office, upload it to the copter, and then go into the field and have it fly it's course. Options?

Another thing to keep in mind is whatever I decide to go with, it must be very mobile and easy to transport. Hence the reason I like the Phantom so much, it is advertised with the capabilities I need, is at an affordable price point, and is very easy to transport with the pre-cut Pelican case. Thanks for all the help. Fire away...

PV

rilot

1) The waypoint and autonomous flight feature isn't available for the P2 yet. However it is available for other DJI flight controllers. It works well but you want to learn to fly without it first.
2) iPad or PC. Not iPhone
3) Yes
4) I don't know. My iPad is 3G so never had an issue
5) It looks to be Google earth maps
6) Bluetooth to the ground end of the equipment, then 2.4GHz to the air end. This is assuming that the Phantom 2 waypoints will work the same as the ground station for other craft and will need the DJI groundstation equipment.
7) GPS only
8) There may be better options. At present the Phantom 2 can't do what you ask until DJI update the software.

Pura Vida

Thanks for the info. That's good to know since I was under the impression it was available for the P2. Disappointing. I'm guessing there isn't any word as to if and when DJI will upgrade their software? Is there something that can be upgraded on the P2 to make it compatible for autonomous flight? I'm guessing anything I was to build rather than getting an RTF would would have the options I was looking for? Any other brands offer RTF with the options/configuration I'm looking for? If I have to build one are there brands that offer better software/functionality for what I'm looking for? Thanks again.

PV

deluge2

DJI is just a little behind in delivering the necessary new sw and fw to support the Ground Station with the P2. Here's what they posted regarding this situation on their Facebook page on 27-FEB:

"iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay."

So apparently Ground Station with the P2 is coming in mid-March.

Steve

So now I'm confused b/c on the DJI site it definitely shows Ground Station working with the P2. Am I missing something?

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2

Thanks

PV

Pura Vida

Ahhhh, ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye out. I'm ready to pull the trigger so I guess I can just roll the dice and assume the update will be released as advertised. In the mean time I need to learn to fly it myself anyway. I still need to confirm question number 4 but my guess is it should be fine as the communication during flight is through the 2.4 transmitter, as I understand it. Assuming I can do all my pre flight planning in the office before heading into the field I should be good to go.

PV

Pura Vida

So, just thought of something else, what about Ground Station on the PC for the P2? That would be my preference as I always have a PC with me where as with an iPad it is one more thing I would have to buy and carry with me.

PV

rilot

I use the PC ground station with my S800. It's the same hardware.
The PC software is a bit clunky and no where near as polished as the iPad version. I use it because my groundstation is PC based.

Pura Vida

I think I've decided to go ahead and go with the P2. Hopefully Ground Station will be available sooner than later but we will fly without it regardless. Assuming ground station is made available for the P2, I Know I will need the BTU Module but will I also need the iOSD or iOSD mini? Thanks

PV

Pura Vida

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks for the info! Now that it is the middle of the month, has there been any updates from DJI on when GS will be available for the P2?

PV

Pura Vida

Well I picked up my P2 with the H3-2D and the pre cut case. Thing is a kick in the pants to fly. Surprisingly easy actually. I have a couple of the mini Blade Electric Helos, a tandem rescue and msr, and it is easier to fly than those IMO. Although my third flight did result in a pretty good crash. :) Flew it right into the upper branches of a tree at the edge of the field I was in. Tumbled all the way down and ended up-side down on the ground. Thought for sure something was broke but righted it, and it flew just fine back to where I had taken it out of the case. Noticed a different pitch to the sound as I walk behind it and after landing descovered I had damaged one of the props pretty bad. Was actually pretty impressed how well it flew with the damaged prop. Downloaded the latest assist program from DJI and noticed ground station is available for the P2. Was happy to see that as it will be used for work purposes and was really wanting to use that feature. Although it is a lot more fun to fly myself and even with my limited skills I fairly confident I could get the photos/videos I'm going to need. They just wouldn't be very good and I would be slow at it since I'd have to more around my project area. I loose confidence in my ability to fly it accurately unless I'm pretty damn close to it. Anyway looking forward to playing with it more and experimenting with all the different options. Thanks for the help up to this point, I imagine most of my post will go over to the Phantom specific area from this point. Enjoy.

PV