Confused Beginner Needs Some Help

John Peterson

So I recently saw a video of some guys FPV racing in a woods ala The Speeder Bike Scene from Return of the Jedi. I was amazed and didnt think that that type of tech was available. I immediately began researching FPV Quads and settled in on a ZMR250 style. I wanted to stay with Spectrum for the radio setup (DX6,7) because I didn't wanted to have to upgrade later on. The more I researched, they more I realized I needed a more beginner friendly machine. I was thinking the Nano QX as its something that I can use in my basement in the Winter time to practice (Wisconsin winters). I could also pair a DX radio with the Nano no problem. This would allow me to remain familiar with the "radio feel". Mind you, I am not new to RC, just the flight aspect of it. I initially wanted to get into Heli's since I was a kid (I'm 36) but I'm more intrigued into multi rotors now. I also listen to "The Multi Rotor Podcast" and heard them rave about the Dromida Ominus, well today at the local Hobby Shop I saw one in person and was pretty impressed, I also liked the larger size too (over the Nano). Along with my research, I've found out about "off brand" or "not mainstream radio" systems like Orange, Walkera Devo 7E, Turnigy, etc.

To sum this up, and I'm sorry it so long, but the more I research the more I'm talking myself out of it because of confusion. Here was my game plan:

By mini quad for practice - Dromida Ominus
Move up to a 450 machine - RCX H450 (from MyRCMart)
Batteries and charger will be supplied through friend

I am really lost on Radios though. Ive read about how some like the Walkera Revo 7E because of the (Open Firmware? fyi. I know what firmware is) and having "Range mods" and I also don't understand how different systems are compatible and not compatible. My buddy is a Spectrum fan and swears by his DX6 that he runs with a Blade 350 .

I'm working with about $600 right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I have always thought the difference between Futaba and Spektrum to be a bit like Mac and PC. With multis though, many of the manufacturers have adopted Futaba especially the likes of DJI. Now I know you are not going near DJI at the moment but it might be something to think about. Secondly, it really is worth investing in the radio as this will probably far outlast any model you buy and it is after all the interface between you and your machine. The other thing is that most radios require their own brand of receiver and so once you have bought into one brand you tend to stick with it because it becomes more and more expensive to change as your fleet grows. I know it is out of budget but if you could stretch to a Jeti DS-14 you would have one of the very best radios out there. However take a good hard look at things like the Graupners, Frsky and Traranis as these are very powerful TXs at excellent prices. Ideally get hold of one in your hands as the ergonomics is a massive factor and you may just find that one brand just doesnt sit right in your hands.

Ive tried to be as unbiased as I can, every brand mentioned above make great kit and I dont think you would be disapointed in any, and this is just as applicable to Spektrum. I know I have mentioned Jeti as being the cream of the crop and yes I have one but my thoughts were that Jeti always was the cream even before I bought one and my DS-16 has only reinforced that view.

John Peterson

Opps, I should have been more specific. I looking at $600 budget for everything. So quad, trainer quad (Ominus), Radio system and other misc parts. I don't really want to spend all of it, as Id like to keep a buffer for parts.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Opps, I should have been more specific. I looking at $600 budget for everything. So quad, trainer quad (Ominus), Radio system and other misc parts. I don't really want to spend all of it, as Id like to keep a buffer for parts.

That $600 budget is going to limit you when it comes to a transmitter. Even the Tranis is around $250. and an ominous is $80as well!
And that RTF quad... well my Mom always said if you don;t have something nice to say.....

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
As far as radio goes shop around for a Futaba T8FG, I have bought two for newbies in the last year for under $200, almost as good as my 14SGH.

Bottom line is that you probably need to put more money aside or you will find that you will not be able to progress much. If you want to get into mini quad racing then just a bit till you can spend more.

Vermiform

I REALLY wish I had started with the Nano first. The thing is a tank and can take a beating while you learn to fly. My nano has 10x more flight time than any of my quads and it is the only one I can comfortably fly indoors. Flying it around the house`has exponentially increased my piloting skills. After getting used to it, I made a rule. While running on the first battery, anything goes, just fly and have fun. When I get to the second battery I practice nose in hovering, making perfect turns, figure 8s, controlling it in agility mode (no gyro), etc.

You just can't go wrong with the Nano. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get started with quads.