Competition Ideas

matwelli

Hi All,

I put up my hand to organize a multirotor/FPV day during the New Zealand NZMAA Nats (the one big event per year) where they do all the competition stuff.
http://modelflyingnz.org/nats.htm that is last years, my day is 3rd Jan 2015

Anyway, have been given 1 day to organize some events for, and have a 300x200X300 meter grass triangle flying area to work with.

Need to have some events, for multirotors, fpv multirotors, and possibly fixed wing FPV

They have to be good fun, and competitive.
I need to be able to set it up simply in an hour or so, before pilot registration (cant set up day before as field is in use)

Thoughts so far

20 meter figure 8 , either time trials or 3-4 machines at once over 10 laps

Pylon race (maybe a 50-60 meter course) 5-6 laps - FPV fixed wing could also fly it

Long course (FPV only)- one that runs the full length of the 300 meters, done either as a 5 lap race or individual time trial, would have a long straight, fast and slow corners, some chicanes and maybe a bar at 5ft off the ground that has to be flown under.

any other ideas or suggestions ?

the 250 size is getting really popular over here and make great little racers, so maybe need to set up a class for them (1300 mah 3S lipo max ?) and something for the bigger machines

matwelli

no suggestions at all ?

from some fellow flyers in NZ "LEP parkflyers have set up a Formula LEP for quad racing. 25m circuit, 5" props, 3 cell LiPo, quad or hex, anything goes, FPV or not. Start/finish within a hulahoop, event flags for turning marks. will have 5 - 6 racing by month end."

Am waiting to see some vids of how it works

ChrisViperM

Shooting Phantom's with a shotgun.......sorry, couldn't resist :nevreness:

What about : Last Man Standing....:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Matt,

I've wondered the same thing! You can either emphasize the flying or take the vidual aspect of it and put it into the mix by doing something like a scavenger hunt where you put sheets of plywood out in spots for the flyers to find and try to read. whoever gets the whole message in the shortest time wins but you need a lot of room to do it. other than that take any race format and adapt it. last man standing would be fun (as was suggested) as would a formatted race course with multiple heli's racing at the same time.

if you have any good ideas for a contest we can run here at the site please pass them along!

how about a build thread for the 250 size?

kloner

Aerial DP
some fun things to do fpv.....

place random objects around a path for people to find, do it for a time or just who can find the most of them. like search and rescue

make a distance run, who gets furthest away and makes it back

race

like barts idea, letters makes a message

long distance something where you land somewhere else and take back off

full autonomous mission

hjls3

my son and i have been playing "hide and seek" and its pretty fun. one of us will take off and land somewhere then other goes and finds. repeat. when we find one another the idea is to land where "hide'er" can see seeker with cam.

matwelli

all good ideas, space is a bit limited.
Some of the ideas (scavenger hunt, plywood with numbers/letters or hide and seek would be great for a fun FPV day, we have one coming up later this year, so will try it out

The event in Jan, at the nats will need to be more about racing i think, and i can make it work in a smaller space.

will build a 250 class soon, and post it up here....I actually think they should be built with a soft-drink bottle used as a fuselage, painted up bright colors for the spectators