Community build project - LotusRC Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Everyone,
I've been advised by LotusRC that I'll be receiving a quad from them with the condition that I do a build thread and help work out whatever problems might pop up. What I'd like to do with it though is have everyone get a turn at modifying or putting it to use in some unique way.
So here's what I have in mind, either myself or RTRyder will get it initially and do a build thread with pics/video. There will likely be some kinks to work out since it's an early version we're receiving but that's why it's free. If Ken gets it first, I'll get it next and do something fun and document it here. Whoever is next will take it, fly it and continue to add to the build thread on it. It'll go on as long as it's flyable and there are people interested in paying the shipping to take a whack at it.
Shoot me a PM if you want in and I'll make a list. I suggested to LotusRC it might make a trip around the world and membership in the site is expanding so I don't think I spoke too soon.
Regards,
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Everyone,
I've been advised by LotusRC that I'll be receiving a quad from them with the condition that I do a build thread and help work out whatever problems might pop up. What I'd like to do with it though is have everyone get a turn at modifying or putting it to use in some unique way.
So here's what I have in mind, either myself or RTRyder will get it initially and do a build thread with pics/video. There will likely be some kinks to work out since it's an early version we're receiving but that's why it's free. If Ken gets it first, I'll get it next and do something fun and document it here. Whoever is next will take it, fly it and continue to add to the build thread on it. It'll go on as long as it's flyable and there are people interested in paying the shipping to take a whack at it.
Shoot me a PM if you want in and I'll make a list. I suggested to LotusRC it might make a trip around the world and membership in the site is expanding so I don't think I spoke too soon.
Regards,
Bart

A quick visual inventory here at the skunkworks shows there to be enough equipment sitting idle to make the Lotus a complete ready to fly setup. I think the best approach is to accept names of volunteer testers until say this coming Sunday, then finilaize the list and where it will travel to. From that we can determine where it will be at any given time, how long it will be with each tester, and when the next person on the list can expect to receive it. We'll also figure out how to handle breakage and repair while it's traveling though hopefully there won't be much need for that.

Ken

Bartman

Glad you're up to the challenge Ken! Let's see how long it takes to get here before we set a cut-off time. You'll need three to four weeks to get it sorted out, I'd like a couple of weeks and by then we should have a better idea who wants it next and who doesn't. That'll be two or three months from now depending on when it gets here.
If anyone's interested we can call this thread the list.
This'll be fun.
Bart

Bartman

This may still fall through. We'll see when they list their final choices as to who will be participating.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
If you've been following the thread over on RCG it isn't looking good for getting one of these quads to try out. After reading some of the crap that's come up in that thread, I'm not so sure I want to be part of it now anyway, there's some, ummm what's the word I'm looking for,... characters... ummm... strongly opinionated people... ummm... whatever, go read for yourself and you'll see what I mean. :rolleyes:

Ken

Bartman

Ken,
I hear ya! I heard back from LotusRC in the very beginning and was told I'd be on the list. I saw the list that LotusRC published and it appears we've been slighted. Not to say the people they've chosen are bad but LotusRC seems to believe RCgroups will continue to be the future of multi-rotor helicopters and I just feel differently. I think we're building a great little home for multi-rotors and it would be a good idea to host a build thread for their new copter but, they have chosen to go a different route. Like I said, LotusRC initially chose us and then changed their mind. I'd say LotusRC needs to get organized a little better.
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think Tarro is right, it's more about marketing than it is about actually testing the quad, they seem to be looking for the most exposure they can more than anything else and since RCG has huge amounts of traffic that's where they're focusing their effort. They did choose a few people that definitely have the right stuff, but they've also chosen a few, ahhh... ummm..., you know what I mean...

Ken

Bartman

LotusRC has changed the name of the thread to "Official thread for the new RTF LotusRC T580" which is an interesting marketing play as LotusRC now has an "official" thread as if they are somebody when they've actually cooked it up by offering 20 free quads to "testers". It will be interesting to see if the "testers" are actually being critical or if they're just minimally compensated cheerleaders. So far it looks like LotusRC got the latter.
I hope that these comments don't discourage anyone with a LotusRC T580 from joining us here at multirotorforums.com. I'm just a bit miffed that LotusRC initially committed (like a handshake but in virtual form) to have us involved in "testing" their T580 but now they've broken that committment and we've wasted electrons making a thread about it.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've been checking in on the original thread and I see that it quickly slid downhill into a lot of whining, complaining, and personal attacks, kind of reminds me of my dogs fighting over the last crumb of food at feeding time. If you followed Z06Tony in his xaircraft tester thread, I can see the 580 test going that way for sure, I will say it was often entertaining to read.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Well it certainly looks like any chance of this happening is pretty much gone, we're not on the "official testers list" and here's the latest from LotusRC...

"Time to finish the final testers list.
I am inviting some listed testers to help me to find out the last suitable guys via discussing in skipe.
Most of those will be picked up this time are beginners from different countries,as promissed in the beginning."

So it's now down to a popularity contest judged by Lotus RC and few of the "official testers" that have already been selected. Since none of us are RCG groupies it's pretty obvious we aren't getting one even though they committed to providing one for us to test at the beginning of the month. Good luck to LotusRC and his marketing campaign, looks like no one outside of RCG is going to know anything about this quad as all the testers selected are regulars on that forum, seems like an odd way to get maximum exposure.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

yup, it seems that LotusRC has found a way to get labor for even less than the factories in China can, they've recruited RCG members to revise the manual for free. guys are lining up to do it.
this thread has run it's course. LotusRC has had their opportunity here.
Considering the LotusRC T580 is so similar to the XAircraft X650 quad and that the XA quad is being supported very well in the US by XAircraftUSA, I'd be surprised if the LotusRC quad can really get much of a foothold here.
Oh well. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.