Cleaning dirt out of brushless motors

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Let's say you drill your multi-rotor into the ground. Let's say that the ground is soft because the 30 inches of snow you've had for weeks has finally melted. Let's say that the multi-rotor narrowly misses your neighbor's house and cartwheels across their front yard.
If this were to happen what would be a good product for flushing dirt from inside an electric motor?
Just curious.
Thanks,
Bart

Bartman

While we're at it, if the above were to happen and the LiPo were to be ejected from the craft and end up badly damaged, what's the best way to dispose of it?
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hmmm, sounds like a flight gone bad for sure! Best way I've found to make sure a motor is clean is disassemble it, they really aren't very difficult to take apart and it's the only way to be absolutely certain you got all the dirt out. Usually all you need to do is take the circlip off the shaft and slide it and the bell off the inner housing then clean as needed. If it's really packed in you can use some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack or the local auto parts store.

A damaged lipo can easily be decommisioned by submerging it in salt water for a week, to discharge and chemically deactivate it, after that it can be tossed out with the regular household trash. Or you could take it to a remote location and intentionally short it out to see first hand what happens when a lipo ignites, it will certainly give you a healthy respect for what these things can do when they go bad.

Last time I stuffed one into the ground was just a few short weeks ago when the Hoverfly had a motor stop working about 160 feet in the air. When I got to the crash site all I saw was one arm sticking up out of the two feet of snow on the ground with the motor still running. I had to pull the qaud out of the snow and stick the spinning prop and motor into the snow so I could grab the battery connector and kill the power. Amazingly after I got all the snow out of it and let everything dry out thoroughly all of the electronics worked but I eventually replaced one of the ESC's as it started acting flaky soon afterward.

I'm always impressed with how much abuse one of these things can take and need only minor repair afterward, if I had stuffed one of my gasser helis into the ground from 160 feet up there likely wouldn't have been much left worth saving!

Ken

Bartman

thanks Ken. I'll take a look at them later. I had two great flights with the X650 earlier in the day even though the wind was still 12 kts or so and gusting a little. I got overconfident later in the day and went up above the trees with my wife's Lumix onboard to pan the area for the first time and got disoriented. Last I saw it looked like a meteor heading for my neighbor's house. The camera battery died before takeoff so I didn't even get to see the crash video!
It's all good. Three new arms, a couple of props and it'll fly again. It was entirely my fault as I went up too high and lost orientation. I was overtired as well and shouldn't have been flying at all.
Thanks for the info.
BTW,
do you recommend roses or chocolates if you happened to bash your wife's personal camera while being stupid?
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
BTW,
do you recommend roses or chocolates if you happened to bash your wife's personal camera while being stupid?
Bart

Don't know about your case but in mine it would have to be both plus dinner at her favorite restuarant plus a replacement camera, and then I'd probably have to sleep on the couch for week as well ;)

Ken

P.S. I've done a couple test flights with the Hoverfly the last two days trying things out with the MyVu goggles but with the wind so strong I haven't dared go much above roof level of the house and even that was a bit iffy on the controls. Have to say the HF handled it well, good thing too, there was no way I was going to risk the Hexa in these conditions just to test out a set of goggles!

Last edited by a moderator: