CF prop options

SamaraMedia

Thanks @SleepyC, I'll give 'em a look.

After finishing 4 more short flights of my Tarot X6, SuperX and KDE 4012 400kvs, with KDE 15" triple props, I think I have it running pretty smooth. I need to look at the logs but it sounded good in the air today while testing the Quadframe DSLR gimbal with CP. AUW is 7659g so about 1260g needed at each motor which is right around the 1270g KDE claims for this motor at 50% throttle. Weight is with 2 5000mAh 6s batts, testing as single battery and getting about 4 minutes flight. May look into a 10-16000mAh battery for this but for now will run them in parallel and hope for 8 minute flights.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Try different props. at that weight I think you will find the tri blades do not do it justice. I have (8) sets of one kind of 3 blade for sale, and (6) of the KDE... let me know if anyone wants a good deal... + LOTS of blades.. LIKE TONS

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Foxtech no longer has the Supreme Lite....
Just Supreme....
For the cost difference, you might as well buy T-Motor...
I have some Maytech (T-motor) style on order....
They are solid CF as opposed to the Cork sandwich like T-Motor... so a bit heavier...
The nice part is they have the same high efficiency cross section as -motor.
MontoRC has them..
http://montorc.com/MTCP-15x5-v2.aspx

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Just getting 1st set to try out....
I used to love the Foxtech Supreme Lite.... but no more...
So was looking at other options... research lead me to try them...
I hope to fly them a lot this weekend.... after late night balancing sessions....
If money is no option, I would choose the T-Motor....
I am hoping that these will be a new low cost option.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think for the cost savings you'd expect a little less spit and polish. But I'm ok with that as long as they balance.

I got some cheaper CF props from AddictiveRC at one point. Took a bit more to balance them - but for the saving, I expected that.

Old Man

You really want the solid carbon blades. The sandwich style permits more blade flex, which equates to thrust loss. Unfortunately we have to be on the alert for some of the "off brand" manufacturers that don't use a quality pre-preg in the lay up. You'll know which ones they are by the really low price. Foxtech sells a version of them in their budget priced carbon props. They work, but they could work a lot better. Another seller of a similar low quality prop is RC Timer. Very, very hard to balance to boot.

Old Man

Try different props. at that weight I think you will find the tri blades do not do it justice. I have (8) sets of one kind of 3 blade for sale, and (6) of the KDE... let me know if anyone wants a good deal... + LOTS of blades.. LIKE TONS

We should talk.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
(Disclaimer- This is my opinion & from my observations)
T-Motor CF props are "sandwich" CF props that have cork in the center of each ear. These props are the best available out in the market. They are manufactured by Falcon. The Cork center is used to reduce weight. When you get to larger props, this helps the motor slow down & speed up the "mass" of the spinning propeller and reduce the "energy" expelled by the motor during the speed changes.
These props are VERY strong and the "Flex" is more than acceptable for heavier aircraft. Some "flex" is beneficial as it helps act as a shock absorber and allows for a more graceful flight. These blades are still VERY stiff.
The stiffness of a props varies depending on the application & weight of the aircraft. A Fast forward racer benefits from very stiff blades that maximize responsiveness. A slow flying aerial rig benefits from a bit of flex to smooth out the bumps from turbulent air.
In the Extreme, a blade that is too flexible simply looses the ability to provide lift and properly respond to FC input commands.
So.... after that long winded statement...
If a blade is built with quality materials, workmanship & tolerances then it is a matter of selecting the proper prop for the application.

Old Man

I won't deny there are trade offs necessary at times and agree the T-Motor props are currently the best available, but, better could be designed;)

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Well, I balanced the Maytech over the last couple nights.
The balance out of the package was a bit better than the Foxtech Supreme Lite I had been using.
Just a lit bit of sanding on the back of the heavy ear and the ears were balanced. Took about 5 minutes.
As far as the Fore/Aft (Hub) balancing, this was much like all CF props... Foxtech & T-motor... that I have balanced...
Light sanding of the leading/ trailing edges of the heavy side of the ear and after about 50 tries....PERFECT...
After a while, you just get in a groove and the blade seems to balance quicker than the one before....
When I get close to perfect, I wipe the blade down with alcohol after each sanding as just the dust stuck to the blade can alter the balance...
They should fly awesome...very stiff so very responsive.....

Old Man

I have this thing about sanding carbon and do it only when no other options are possible. Instead I add weight to the light blades using thinned epoxy or thin CA glue to the back side of the blades. Some use clear tape but you can't depend on it to remain stuck to the blade forever.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed. It is a nasty *****. Holding your breath doesn't really work- so best to avoid the sanding if possible. But it does make quick work of it.

Fortunately, I have had good luck with tape staying put.

Pumpkinguy

I have this thing about sanding carbon and do it only when no other options are possible. Instead I add weight to the light blades using thinned epoxy or thin CA glue to the back side of the blades. Some use clear tape but you can't depend on it to remain stuck to the blade forever.

you can always use wet sand paper. then the dust will be in a slurry.

SamaraMedia

Funny, I just finished balancing 6 Maytech 15" props that as Andrew said, they "were better" than I had expected having purchased some supposed Maytech CF props previously. First set took a bit of work, 15 minutes, but after that it took about 5 minutes per blade. I tried using some light tape to begin with but it didn't conform well to the edge of the blade and I don't trust that it will stay on under use if just placed on the top or bottom surface so I too sanded them. I suppose I should be wearing some type of protective mask rather than breathing it in. weight per blade with screws and flat mounting washer is 24g per blade compared to the KDE triple blades I was using which are 40/blade. Not sure I will be able to test it on the Tarot X6 since I'm heading to NC for vacation next week but looking forward to seeing the results.