Can't connect FS-i6x to Betaflight

Cummingsc

Hi all.

So I'm brand-new to drone flying. I got a Flysky FS-i6x and was hoping to play on a simulator for a while before my Tinyhawk showed up. Nothing is working and I'm hoping you experts have a simple, easy fix for what I'm hoping is just a bone-headed noob error on my part. Here's the deal:

1. I have the data USB cable that came with the transmitter.
2. I also have the FS-SM100 trainer cable.
3. When I attach the transmitter to the computer with the trainer cable, I have disparate experiences. FPV Drone Simulator does not recognize the transmitter as a controller. FPV Air 2 recognizes it but the settings seem to be really buggered up (the simulated drone immediately flips on its back). So I figured that the transmitter needs to be flashed/configured in Betaflight.
4. When I attach the data cable, I hear the "USB has been plugged in" bell tone in Windows but Betaflight does not seem to recognize it (no Com port shows up. I only see "Manual Selection" and when I try "Connect" I get an error message that says "failed to open serial port.")
5. I thought it might be a driver issue, so tried using the ImpulseRC_ driver finder and it just spun...couldn't seem to find the plugged-in transmitter.

So. Any thoughts? I've watched a bunch of Youtube vids and read a bunch of tutorials but they all seem to assume that the transmitter will easily connect to the PC. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.