Canada - License requirements for commercial aerial photography

roryhinds

anyone now what the license requirements are for aerial photography and filming using an Octocopter in Canada?

Macsgrafs

I'm sure they will be similar to the UK, in other words if you are going to make commercial gain, then you need a license, but only if you are happy to be a legal fiction created by government known as a PERSON, as a man/woman, no such license is needed as all men/women are born equal!

I'm sure they will be similar to the UK, in other words if you are going to make commercial gain, then you need a license, but only if you are happy to be a legal fiction created by government known as a PERSON, as a man/woman, no such license is needed as all men/women are born equal!

Ha yeah try that when Transport Canada slap you with a $25000 fine for flying a quadcopter for money... :O

Macsgrafs

Ha yeah try that when Transport Canada slap you with a $25000 fine for flying a quadcopter for money... :O

So a PRIVATE corporation, namely Transport Canada is taking revenue from the PERSON...only if you agree to be a person! As a man/woman you are ABOVe ANY corporation...remember a corp[oration is not alive, it's a LEGAL fiction, only able to ACT upon your PERSON with your consent. you really need to learn the difference my friend & stop making this world an awful place!!!

Macsgrafs

Macsgrafs

Attachments

• Think.jpg
    Think.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 269

roryhinds

Hi Roger, have you gone through the system and received a license?

Please could someone talk me through the steps and costs of obtaining a license.

Thanks in advance
Rory

Hi Rory,

To answer your question, no, I have not gone through the process as I am only flying and filming for recreational purposes so far. The rules and regulations governing the commercial use of UAV in Canada are quite demanding and does not allow an operator to turn on a dime, sort to speak, to cover an event. As stated below, if the total weight is below 35 Kg AND you do not receive money or other benefits from your flight, your are flying a model aircraft for recreational purposes. You may find some manoeuvring space from this . Here is the text:
4.2 Interpretation
  1. UAVs may be used for experimental, demonstration, developmental or commercial purposes, including aerial surveying, agricultural and fisheries observation, communications relay, railway, pipeline and power line monitoring, minerals and oil surveying, mapping; government roles such as law enforcement, border patrol, fire fighting, disaster relief, traffic and crowd control; weather tracking and atmospheric observation; monitoring of dangerous substances including nuclear, biological and chemical emissions and scientific research (climate, ocean, environment and the earth), just to name a few. UAVs are aircraft that may be remotely controlled or may have automated flight capability. UAVs are systems, and the air vehicle is only a small part of the whole system. The broader system of UAVs consists of the air vehicle and payloads, communications architecture, and the command and control system (control station). Control stations take the place of flight decks and can be considered “remote cockpits”. While the aircraft may be unmanned, the system is not. When considering a request for operating approval, the system as a whole will be assessed including an assessment of the operating personnel.
  2. It is important to note that what is often considered a “model aircraft” by an operator is in fact an “unmanned air vehicle” by definition. Subsection 101.01(1) of the CARs defines model aircraft as:
    • “model aircraft”- means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.
  3. Confusion may exist because the unmanned air vehicle weighs less than 35 kg, however, this does not make it a “model aircraft”. To be considered a “model aircraft”, three conditions must be met. Every condition is necessary but none is sufficient. Model aircraft weigh 35 kg. (77.2 lbs) or less, are mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes, and are not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.
  4. While the CARs do not define “recreational purposes” a dictionary definition of recreation is “not for work – done for pleasure or relaxation”. Model aircraft enthusiasts fly their aircraft as a pastime, an unpaid diversion, as an activity that “diverts, amuses, or stimulates”. Section 602.45 of the CARs was put in place to allow sporting enthusiasts to operate model aircraft for personal enjoyment but not for monetary gain or other form of hire and reward. The Aeronautics Act defines hire and reward as:
    • “any payment, consideration, gratuity or benefit, directly or indirectly charged, demanded, received or collected by any person for the use of an aircraft”.
    • Equipping model aircraft with a payload does not, in itself, make the model a UAV, however, once the model aircraft is launched for any reason other than recreational purposes, it is an unmanned air vehicle.

Commercial/ Emergency workers drone course

did you ever get to the bottom of this??

Yes indeed, there has been several positive developments on this subject, such as:

http://cqfa.cegep-chicoutimi.qc.ca/pro/index.php?id=1006&lng=An

This will be a first in Canada as the training will be recognized by Transport Canada (Canadian equivalent to FAA). The first class will begin later in 2013. I am personally involved with Koptr Images, the company selected for this specialized training.

More to come as the course begins this year.

roryhinds

What does the course give you?
With this course are you then a licensed pilot that can operate on commercial jobs without having to do all the paperwork on each job?

Emergency personnal/commercial drone training program - Canada

What does the course give you?
With this course are you then a licensed pilot that can operate on commercial jobs without having to do all the paperwork on each job?

The purpose of this training is to provide technical knowledge and adequate flight training in all phases of flying a light drone (less than 25 Kg) to allow emergency personnel and commercial applications personnel to safely operate a light drone in various demanding environments. The introduction and application of the culture of safety is the single most important factor in this specialized training. As you are probably aware, Transport Canada is very much involved in all aspects of flight safety and is currently involved in the development of new legislation that will oversee the operations of small drones in Canada. The precise role of such training is yet to be determined but, in my personal opinion, will very likely become part of the certification program and requirements for liability insurance that is likely to become compulsory for non-recreational use of UAV operations in Canada. As this is a rapidly developping issue, one must be alert for the latest activities and announcements in this interesting and innovative domaine.

roryhinds

Thanks Roger, so the course is for people who have never flown a mulitcopter before and it will teach them the ins and outs but not give them a 'pilots license'.

One can only hope that Transport Canada acts quick and develops a Pilots license for commercial mulitcopter pilots so people can fly safe and act quickly when the job comes up.

Gbillerty

Old post but I have to reply this:

5000$ course recognized by Transport Canada!!! not yet!

Just talked with Transport Canada and there is no mention about this course. I asked many questions about requirements and they never suggested this. They suggested a private pilot ground school (theoretical) but this is not a requirement, they just want to make sure you have a basic knowledge ti fulfill the SOFC documents.

A good course I have found in Canada for newcomers in the business: http://pilottraining.ca/store/catalog.php?item=40

AN other one : http://www.ccuvs.com/services/training/

Credible information in both courses and far away from the 5000$ course provided by the private company DIZIFILM/KoptrImage trough a the CQFA.

Yes indeed, there has been several positive developments on this subject, such as:

http://cqfa.cegep-chicoutimi.qc.ca/pro/index.php?id=1006&lng=An

This will be a first in Canada as the training will be recognized by Transport Canada (Canadian equivalent to FAA). The first class will begin later in 2013. I am personally involved with Koptr Images, the company selected for this specialized training.

More to come as the course begins this year.