Can manual mode be disabled but made available for compass calibration?

jwk72

Without getting into a long story, I'm trying to figure out if there (as the title says) is a way to disable manual mode but have it available for compass calibration. I've got a couple newer people I'm teaching to fly but do not want them accidentally bumping into manual mode. Originally I just changed the assistant to "atti" from "manual" on the right side of the bar figuring that way they can't accidentally enter it if its not there. Then I got to the field and went to calibrate compass... Well I'm sure you see where this is going. Any ideas? Any fancy programming of mixes or something that will fool the software? I'm using a DX9 and AR8000.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey mate,

I have manual disabled and can still do compass calibration. I have the modes on a three-way switch, so GPS/ATTI/Failsafe. If I want manual mode I just change the percentage on the Failsafe mode via the transmitter. In my case (Spektrum DX10t) 82% is Failsafe and 42% is Manual. Simple.

Make sense?

jwk72

Hey mate,

I have manual disabled and can still do compass calibration. I have the modes on a three-way switch, so GPS/ATTI/Failsafe. If I want manual mode I just change the percentage on the Failsafe mode via the transmitter. In my case (Spektrum DX10t) 82% is Failsafe and 42% is Manual. Simple.

Make sense?

it does, and I thought of that. I'm just trying to make as simple as possible because I'm also working with some people on another project who have no or almost no hobby/flying experience and I want to get the TX as simple to use as possible. They woud never figure our changing travel adjust. Hmmm...

jwk, you might be able to map Attitude mode and Manual mode to a spring loaded switch that always returns to attitude mode. Then override attitude mode with another switch to achieve GPS for RTH etc.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Set up a mix on one of the switches you don't use, the mix could make it bypass the manual mode if you so require.

deluge2

Hmm interesting suggestion. So you'd have to hold the momentary switch while toggling to trigger compass calibration mode, correct?

Steve

jwk, you might be able to map Attitude mode and Manual mode to a spring loaded switch that always returns to attitude mode. Then override attitude mode with another switch to achieve GPS for RTH etc.

skquad

Wondering why you need manual to do compass calibration. I've always done mine in gps ati mode and haven't had an issue

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jwk72

I thought you had to cycle between GPS/atti/man a few ties to get into calibration mode. I had changed the setting for the 3rd position (far right) in the assistant to Atti once so there were 2 atti modes (so it couldn't go into manual accidentally) and I couldn't get in calibration mode... Now I'm going to have to try again. Either way I figured out a mix that works... I set up a gear > gear mix on the trainer/bind button on the DX9 with the rate at 0/-100% so the travel only gets it to the middle position (atti) and when you press and hold the trainer/bind button it gives full travel. This way you can cycle switch to get into calibration. But now that I hear you don't need to have Manual mode, I wonder what the problem was when I couldn't get it that time.

FlyGirl

I don't have manual and I don't have a problem doing compass calibration.

I know of no other way to initiate compass calibration other than flicking quickly between GPS and Manual mode on a DJI NAZA flight controller. CopterStudios and Skquad, can you explain? Are you using NAZA controllers?

gringers

Preoccupied
I know of no other way to initiate compass calibration other than flicking quickly between GPS and Manual mode on a DJI NAZA flight controller. CopterStudios and Skquad, can you explain? Are you using NAZA controllers?

You can start the calibration by either flicking between GPS and Manual or by flicking between GPS and ATTI. Just make sure you start with the switch in the GPS position and finish with the switch in the GPS position (and flick between the two at least 5 times/5 cycles)

So yes, to the OP, you don't actually need to map manual mode if you don't want to.

FlyGirl

You can start the calibration by either flicking between GPS and Manual or by flicking between GPS and ATTI. Just make sure you start with the switch in the GPS position and finish with the switch in the GPS position (and flick between the two at least 5 times/5 cycles)

So yes, to the OP, you don't actually need to map manual mode if you don't want to.

I'll be darned.... Learn something new every day.... Thank you!