Cameras transmitters and heat question.

bensid54

Totally not related to quads but that is where my Fat Shark camera equipment was taken from. I'm in the process of building Charon the Ferryman of the River Styx and want to place a camera in his head. His head will turn and tip up and down with red LED lights for eyes but it is also covered with a black cloth hood. The problem is there is no breeze from props to cool down the camera and transmitter so I'm afraid that it will overheat and possibly burn down my Ferryman. My question is where can I get a descent and relatively inexpensive camera system that will not create too much heat?

The camera is probably not an issue. The video transmitter on the other hand may be. The higher the output the more heat. I would get the lowest power output video transmitter you can find. They make them as low as 25mw but the range isn't that great. Remember, never power up your video transmitter without an antenna attached to it, the antenna acts as an electrical load.

bensid54

The camera does create some of its own heat so it may warm things up but I believe you are right about it not being an issue because they come in an enclosed case. Yes the transmitter gets pretty warm and I was sitting here thinking how can I overcome that problem. I think what I can do is build a heat exchanger with a pump system to cool the transmitter because it will be sitting in water. How much heat would a 25mw transmitter put out compared to a 600mw transmitter like I have? I think I have a 250mw transmitter around here I'll see how much difference that will make and let you know.

600 puts out a fair amount. something to try would be to just set the 250 on a table or something with no real airflow over it and just see how it preforms over an hour or so. If you don't fry it or burn down the house then your probably good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I'll go and try that I'm on my way to my little hobby building/repair shed now and let it run while I do some other stuff.

bensid54

Tried the 250 for an hour and that looks like my answer both the transmitter and camera got warm but not too hot so I think that will work. Thanks for your help!