Camera choice

ajgrattan

Hi guys,
I just sold my 5d3 and am looking for a successor for my Vulcan Harrier/Steady 2500 setup ... thinking about Gh4, A7s/r ii, Canon Xc10 .. what have I left out in that weight range??... (mainly 80% video/20% photos... no low light stuff). I have been researching alot, and can see pros and cons to all ... looking for user experiences/opinions.
Thanks all

violetwolf

I love the look of the Sony a7's compared to the GH4 which has that nasty over sharpened look.

The price on the a7 makes crashing a scary proposition though.

I like the look and price / weight of the new Sony a6300 .... Crop sensor but overall nice specs .. New sensor using the same tech as the a7 line.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajgrattan

agreed, the Sony image is very smooth... any gh4 footage I have viewed online all seems over graded.. I am yet to receive my new steady gimbal using phobotic centre piece,.. it's the 2500 model. I must find out from the seller if it will carry such a light weighted camera. The a6300 seems to tick all the boxes alright. thanks for the feedback. no one seems to rate the xc10... 4K at 300mbs seems great... I think the lens is 28mm at its widest... c log etc... ?

oschefer

@violetwolf, @ajgrattan ...... Anyone end up getting an A6300 and if so any feedback? I am currently debating between the GH4 and the A6300. The A6300 seems better on paper however I have been reading reviews and hearing about sensor overheat issues??? Is this an issue?

oschefer

thanks I had not seen that one. Unfortunately that looks like another site confirming it has a big issue with temperature when doing video, I wonder how fast it would overheat outdoor event when the temps are 80-90+ in the summer. Seems the GH4 does not have the same issues. I guess I need to weigh the image quality of pictures vs video usage as the A6300 seems to be the winner in the picture category.

violetwolf

So many mixed reports on this too. I shot all afternoon long on my a6300 this weekend. It was on for about 4-5 hours on the tripod only shutting it off to change battery. No heat issues at all.

I WAS running a very large aluminum lens (Sony 18-200) and the thought crossed my mind that the lens may act as a heat sink drawing heat away from the body..

Another fellow ran his all afternoon physically laying on the sand in Miami in 80 degree temps, running all the bells and whistles trying to get it to overheat and couldn't.

It seems a little hit and mis! Hopefully it gets sorted. Either way I absolutely LOVE this camera!

Rolling shutter is only a tiny bit worse than the A7sii when tested side by side. I can live with it. RS is almost non existent at 1080. All current 4k CMOS cameras have this issue, so you just have to take this into consideration when planning a shoot.

PMaughan

I really think the gh4 is still the best mirrorless video camera for flying.
Battery life is great, it's lighter than the A7 range, suffers less rolling shutter than the sonys, no meddlesome internal stabilisation and it's a lot cheaper! Sony wins on the ground maybe but not in the air.

violetwolf

From the shooter:

Shot in Super35 4K mode with 25 fps, interpreted for playback as 30p (20% speed increase). Original file available as download on Vimeo if you have an account there. Please switch player to full screen mode and choose highest available resolution by clicking on the "HD" symbol.

Some wannabe" tech-gurus" say, the A6300 suffers from strong moiré as it has no 4K optimised low pass filter. I can not confirm this as long as you use the Super35mm 4K mode which downscales the 4K from approx. 6K.

I also read complaints about overheating issues and short battery life from people, which mean this prohibts "Pro" use. Well, let me tell you that not every "Pro" use needs recording times significantly longer than 20 Minutes per take or hours of battery life. The A6300 has priority for lightweight and compactness and if you need longer recording time, use an external power supply on the USB port. It will also keep the camera cooler as the internal battery will not add heat.

For more information on aerial applications, please visit www.KopterKraft.com.