Discussion Calling Drone owners in Southern California

phillavelle

Hi guys,

Bit of a random post here - but hoping you may be able to help me.
I'm trying to get hold of some drone owners/enthusiasts in Southern California.
(I am one myself - I have a DJI Spark which I've owned for the last year.)

I work as a TV reporter based out of LA for an international TV network and I'm doing a story all about drones. One of the things that struck me when I got mine was how the rules and regulations are all over the place.. depending on geogrpahy, you can be allowed to use them in places that you may not be able to in the city next door, for example.
I found it confusing about whether or not to register with the FAA when I got mine (was it mandatory, or not?). For a device that is so popular (and will be selling even more since we are going into holiday season) and could potentially be dangerous if flown in the wrong place, it struck me as interesting that it seems we're almost in a situation where the rules are still evolving. I thought it would make a good TV story looking at the issue and the confusion out there and perhaps get some answers from the authorities.

This is where you guys come in. I'd love to interview a couple of drone owners and film them using their toys. Ask you about why you enjoy the drone, how complex the rules system is, that kind of thing (obviously I can't interview myself!).

It would take about 30 mins and would air on TV all over the world (including here in the U.S.)
Please could you DM me here, or tweet me phillavelle if interested and maybe we could talk some more.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Phil

Av8Chuck

Your taking on a complicated and controversial issue that doesn’t lend itself well to soundbites.

The rules are confusing and changing if you oversimplify from the perspective of a hobbyists your story probably won’t get much traction. 30 minutes is probably not enough time to seriously look at the process of rule making and the effects it’s having on commercial users.

Just about everyone who flys drones feels the kind of euphoria that you are experiencing, unfortunately it’s very difficult to share that experience remotely through television or other media.

I’m not trying to rain on your parade, a lot of people have interviewed UAV enthusiasts trying to capture that lightening in a bottle and have had little or no effect. If you want to tell a story that might have some influence with anyone other that UAV enthusiasts that would be interesting.

Do you have a link to any other stories you’ve produced?