Calling all Zenmuse owners... I need your help!

R6Media

Since I'm not rich enough to have another one of these just laying around yet, I was hoping you all could help me.

Out of curiosity, after watching the video of the guy balancing his zenmuse after installing the Zeiss lens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0Xc67beE0), I wanted to see how balanced my set up was.
Much to my dismay (or am I wrong) the Pan axis seems incredibly out of wack.
Here's the thing.... I haven't touched anything. This is straight out of the box and installed. Nothing is wonky with my Nex7, No filters, no after market battery. Everything is as it should be.

So here's what I'd like you guys to do if somebody can just help me to compare. Please somebody, anybody... take your frame and invert it on its side like mine is and position your pan axis in various spots to see if it stays put like the Zeiss guy's video, or it swings around like mine does to a heavy left side. I REALLY REALLY need a comparison before I get a hold of my distributor.

Honestly I don't understand why the pan axis would matter as far as balance considering the aircraft is never in a perpendicular to the ground position for gravity to affect it like this anyway... unless you're having a really bad moment.
Its just one more thing DJI fails to explain to anybody.

Thanks in advance. Here's my problem video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanzar

Since I'm not rich enough to have another one of these just laying around yet, I was hoping you all could help me.

Out of curiosity, after watching the video of the guy balancing his zenmuse after installing the Zeiss lens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0Xc67beE0), I wanted to see how balanced my set up was.
Much to my dismay (or am I wrong) the Pan axis seems incredibly out of wack.
Here's the thing.... I haven't touched anything. This is straight out of the box and installed. Nothing is wonky with my Nex7, No filters, no after market battery. Everything is as it should be.

So here's what I'd like you guys to do if somebody can just help me to compare. Please somebody, anybody... take your frame and invert it on its side like mine is and position your pan axis in various spots to see if it stays put like the Zeiss guy's video, or it swings around like mine does to a heavy left side. I REALLY REALLY need a comparison before I get a hold of my distributor.

Honestly I don't understand why the pan axis would matter as far as balance considering the aircraft is never in a perpendicular to the ground position for gravity to affect it like this anyway... unless you're having a really bad moment.
Its just one more thing DJI fails to explain to anybody.

Thanks in advance. Here's my problem video.

You are seriusly missing the point in balancing. First off all the pan axis is totaly on wrong position. Next when you fly your s800 it never goes off axis for more than 40 deg and that happenes only in hars flying or fast forward, backwards and sideways. So you always balance it in the correct position. Not tiped.
Second is that dji balance them and none is perfect but always in tolerance. You would need xxx hours to balance it to perfection. Which is for this gimball not needed. So i realy dont see the point in doing this movie.

R6Media

Thanks for the input Lanzar. I don't however feel like I'm "missing the point" and If you reference ChrisVIPERS video where he put the zeiss lens on his nex and balanced his zenmuse for it, to do the pan axis, you HAVE to lay it on its side to allow for gravity. Are you suggesting that his method his incorrect? It could be, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. There is no other logical way to balance that axis. My point is this:
Mine obviously wont sit in any position like in Chris's video (or as he's attempting) so I'm wondering If something is amiss in my gimbals "calibration" or am I over-thinking it. Which is completely possible.
The best way for any of you to answer my question really, is to put your aircraft on it's side, like mine, IF that's the correct way to check for pan axis balance, and just see how yours' falls.... if it falls. Or if if yours stays in any position you choose, just like the Tilt and Roll Axis do. I'm simply needing comparison info.

Maybe there's a reason when you google "zenmuse balance" there's virtually no information out there besides Chris' input.
Either no one else has done it or nobody really understands how. But that's part of what I want to know. Is it moot and un-neccesary or is mine screwed up.

So Lanzar, your stance is, my aircraft position to test for PAN balance is incorrect and that If I were to check for balance, the base should simply be in it's normal upright position with landing gear flat on the ground, essentially rendering it an un-neccesary step correct? And that really tilt and roll are really the only things that need balancing if you wanted to say... add a different lens or filters.

For reference, go to 12:29 and 15:20 in Chris' video.

ChrisViperM

The main question is: How does it perform during a flight.....if it is doing well, you couldn't care less what the pan axis looks like. I was balancing the Zenmuse to death, and still 6x out of 10x it would not hold the horizont correctly. Trouble is....if you start balancing the Zen yourself before testing in flight, you might ruin a working system and loose your guarantee. If it doesn't perform out of the box, send it back and ask your money back.....

Chris

R6Media

Well up to know everything performs fine. I've been contemplating adding filters which would of course require a tilt axis re-balance, which could lead to a roll axis re-balance, and ultimately to a Pan axis balance. It's true Chris that I could be giving your video too much credibility not considering the the nightmares it may have created for you adding that Zeiss lens but it makes so much sense that these things should adjustable to accommodate such ventures.

My only concern and point of this post was my pan axis behaves NOTHING like yours when tipped on its side. Regardless of the fact that the aircraft will never fly like that, your reasoning was sound.

I'm wishing someone could just tell me" yeah you can do whatever you want with lenses and filters and adjusting the tilt axis without worrying about other stuff and burning up servos - we've all done it and the gimbal has been just fine for years" :)

I'm willing to accept "loss of guarantee" if countless people have modified their setup successfully. Nobody talks about it though or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

FerdinandK

A lot of people were discussing the "zenmuse rebalance" topic, you are just more that a year late on that topic. If you start to rebalance yourself you are responsible, nobody will tell you that everything is fine and there is nothing you can damage, since that is not the case for everybody. It depends on your skills if this is an easy task or it will become a nightmare. Since you posted this video I assume that it will not work flawless for you, otherwise you would have done it already. Also your question was not how to balance, it was to get a comparison to have a "good argument" when talking to your distributor. If you want to be happy, just be happy, do not wait until everything is perfect (this will never happen).

best regards
Ferdinand

ChrisViperM

I just watched your video again......something came to my mind, but I can't see it clearly in your video: When you flip the Zenmuse over for your "test", is it then absolutely in a 90° angle (vertical) to it's mounting axle.....? If you just flip it over, it won't be 90°....you will have to lift up the lading legs to be in a perfect 90° position.....

Chris

R6Media

Thanks Ferdinand, yeah I know nobody will tell me that. I'm a little hesitant to try it even though it look simple enough. Those top sliders though don't look like it has nearly enough "play" to give me a perfect COG on that axis even though Chris's looked like it was working pretty well.
I do want to be happy, I'd hate to be stuck with a DJI lemon that's all. If nothing else, Chris' video was eye opening.

R6Media

Chris,
Yeah its on end. The top tubes are just as long as the landing gear and when its on end like that, the pan axis tube is perfectly parallel to the floor at 90°