Calibration issues, need some help with a tricky one

Lumalee

Hi All,
this one has got me confused, and please forgive my noob terminology, I just loved building this thing and flying it occasionally at the weekends with my GoPro on the front of it, its just fun pastime and not a serious hobby for me so again pls forgive me incorrect terminology etc.

My Naza F450 has been fine for many months, flying perfectly and even sustained hands off hover is a dream but I decided in my wisdom to "upgrade" the props and put Graupner ones on and although the vibration and response is a lot better I have a trim problem. To get a hands off hover or just even a steady hover my DX6i needs full reverse trim otherwise the quad just drifts forward, not drastically but enough for me to have to keep a thumb on the stick and pull slightly backwards. Now this in iteslf is no major hardship its just that when I do go for a bit of a fly about its great to show people the acceleration forwards but come to put the brakes on and thats a different story as there is not enough reverse to bring the quad to a hover or reverse as quick as I would like.
So.... I connected NAZA assistant and went through the calibration process and the slider that controls forward and backward movement is apporx 1/4 of the way to the right, all the others are as they are supposed to be, coloured green and central, but the fwd/bkwd one is not centralised. I can centralise it by moving the trim on the radio all the way back and it goes green, but that doesnt help as I am in the same position as I was before calibration. What can I do ?

I know this is probably basic stuff for you hobbyists but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ChrisViperM

As a first step I would recommend to set a new, clean model in your DX6i (I always use the "Heli - H1" -type). All Mixers must be disabled, normally this is the case in Heli-H1- mode. Also all Trim and Sub-Trim must be set to Zero, no Expo or Dual Rate... From there, start the whole calibration process again and see how it goes. Make also sure your Centre of Gravity is set according to the NAZA manual...for a beginner this is sometimes confusing.

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
if you didn't before, when you click "finish" after calibrating, make absolute sure the throttle is at exactly 50%. it helps with the drifting bit as well as the altitude hold part. You can find that info by turning on your radios menu to throttle curve or monitor

CG is huge, but generally naza corrects it somewhat. The big thing is naza isn't made to hold position not touching the sticks, that's naza gps. out of 3 nazas now, they all have a way to put the load on that makes em hover perfect, others not so perfect, but if i need the power to come along, i just deal with it. Whichever way it drifts after properly setting up your radio in assistant is most likely heavy

Lumalee

Thanks for your help guys and the suggestions. I was so miffed about this and felt I wasnt possibly getting my point accross, its not easy with text and typing so I called Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk and he explained that even though the slider in assistant was slightly out, I needed to WRITE to the Naza then unplug and replug the quad in and see how that went. I did this and its fine now, absolutely spot on.

Big thanks to Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk for your help...again !

Cheers

kloner

Aerial DP
everytime you move a trim tab on a radio connected to naza, naza tries to correct it the next time you boot up. You don't want any trim, sub trim, especialy throttle sub trim and if you haven't yet, get that 50% throttle in finishing assistant calibration. That shows naza where the altitude hold is and it affects every other aspect of the way they fly

Have fun and keep the spinning side up