CAA (UK) on the war path

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> CAA on the warpath!

I just had a very productive and interesting meeting with the CAA in my guise and the European Legislation Representative for ARPAS UK. One of the items discussed was the policing of people working for commercial gain without a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW), those who do have a PFAW but who operate outside of their permissions and for hobbyists who fly illegally. Many people get the impression that the CAA are not that interested in chasing up transgressors of the ANO etc etc and so I thought it worthwhile posting the fact that not only are the CAA interested in prosecuting such transgressions, they are on the warpath to prosecute AND they have the resources to do so. Their prosecution department has a number of cases it is now working on and it is doing so with vigor. We also discussed client liability ie when a client hires a contractor they can be held liable for accidents etc if their contractor does not have the correct paperwork as per H&S etc.

I mention all of this because I know that there are a lot of people on the forums who are perhaps unaware of the law and unfortunately ignorance of the law is no defence so, even if doing this as a hobby, it is worth reading the attached to ensure that you stay on the right side of the law! I also mention this for all of those people who think they can get away with flouting the rules….
View attachment 16901View attachment 16902

Attachments

• Articles 166 and 167.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 310
  • CAP722.pdf
    454 KB · Views: 254
Last edited by a moderator:

JimM

Also, at the EuroUSC safety workshop today I was impressed by two things mainly:-

1. How approachable and positive the CAA Regulators were with respect to enabling those with PFAW to operate safely and expand the industry

2. Their stated intention to avoid negatively impacting those with PFAW when the inevitable tightening of regulations occurs.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I have been HUGELY impressed with the CAA's whole attitude to drones. Considering how much red tape could have been thrown our way given UK H&S attitudes etc. They have a genuinely forward thinking can do and enabling attitude. Such a refreshing change. I am also very glad that they are now pressing on with enforcing the regs.

Jumpy07

Good news.. I am especially getting concerned about the number of websites I am finding of un licensed operators in my area.. given the amount of money I have spent getting my BNUC. .. I welcome a crack down

I would also welcome some pragmatic changes to the rules we fly under....

Quinton

Was nice meeting a few of you lot today at the safety workshop, its hard to put names to forum members :)
London traffic is a nightmare, now I know what them tunnels underground are for!
I stepped in front of a Rolls Royce on the way back to Victoria station, and it had the reg number RRR1, apparently David Beckham owns it, but he wasn't in it unfortunately.

Reminds me, I really should sign up as a member for ARPAS UK (more bl**dy ancronyms)

plingboot

I enjoyed the workshop too, but did feel that there's a long way to go before there's some sort of operations framework / guidance within which we can build safety and risk cases AND know that we're covering all bases.

Despite the CAA being on the war path, I'm also concerned that those of us who are small operators trying to do it the right way are facing a cost battle with those doing it in ignorance or disregard for correct procedure.

If you're going to spend time planning and organising logistics for a shoot, that has to be paid for and until clients are educated, there'll be a period of time where the fly-by-nights get the jobs on cost - simply rocking up and flying - which could be a major issue to many small operators' viability. It's making me wonder whether it's been (going to be) worthwhile.

Quinton

I enjoyed the workshop too, but did feel that there's a long way to go before there's some sort of operations framework / guidance within which we can build safety and risk cases AND know that we're covering all bases.

Despite the CAA being on the war path, I'm also concerned that those of us who are small operators trying to do it the right way are facing a cost battle with those doing it in ignorance or disregard for correct procedure.

If you're going to spend time planning and organising logistics for a shoot, that has to be paid for and until clients are educated, there'll be a period of time where the fly-by-nights get the jobs on cost - simply rocking up and flying - which could be a major issue to many small operators' viability. It's making me wonder whether it's been (going to be) worthwhile.

Ahh now I recognise that tattoo, I was sitting beside you :)

JimM

In the short term this may be the case - particularly with small clients but I believe that as the industry (and hence, the market) matures, use of RPAS will become more commonplace. Larger corporate clients, who already invest small fortunes in health and safety compliance, data protection compliance etc will as a matter of course incorporate policies into their processes which will mandate the use of appropriately qualified operators - particularly if liability falls on the client in the event of an incident involving unqualified operators.

Just my view...

All the people that have not gained their commercial qualification that have received money or broken rules should be band for 2 year or more just like you would if you have been driving on the roads illegal.
Also for the donuts with phantoms and other RTF they should be crushed when acting without care for others.

I don't mean to sound horrible but for some of us who have paid good money to have the correct qualification and insurance to operate legal it suck big time in my eyes.

Good luck

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just really sorry there was not more time to mingle and put faces to names.

Andre can waffle for England. My concern is that they are spreading there resources to thinly by expanding in to all the countries they are.. Lets get the UK sorted then roll it out

Dave