CAA permissions fee

Flydigital

I'm looking into using my F550 for simple shots at work. I can see this requires qualification, insurance and CAA permissions etc.

Regarding the permissions fee it says £113 and renewal is £57.

Is this fee for each given location + aircraft for a 1 year period? I wasn't quite sure.

Thanks for any clarification.

hexa

I think you have to take a test and you will also need to write a book.
Man screw the air police and go fly your copter film what ever you want just use common sense and be safe.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, taking the 'common sense' approach means making sure you have insurance. If it is for work purposes you simply wont have insurance without a permission for aerial work from the CAA unless what you are doing is purely from a hobby point of view. BMFA insurance covers hobby use only and any other insurance will be invalidated unless you have a CAA permission. You don't necassarily have to go through one of the courses or indeed write a book aka Operations Manual, but you will need to provide evidence to the CAA that you can carry out each job safely and yes, this will be charged for each time. IF you go for a course then you only need to gain permission once per year in effect but you will also be required to write an operations manual. The common sense approach would also say that is the risk of a few hundred quid for the odd shot worth the risk of fines in the thousands, criminal records or even jail if you were involved in a bad incident? Given the CAA are now actively prosecuting drone pilots, I'm not sure that is a sensible risk.

'Man screw the air police'????? why is it that so many people who buy a drone think they can just go an fly anywhere with the right to do so if you just use 'common sense'. You wouldnt buy a car and expect to drive on the right hand side of the road, as long as you use common sense. There are rules for good reason, not to be a pain but to ensure that ALL users of the air can do so safely and those who are not wanting to be invovled ie the general public on the streets etc can also go about their business safely. By saying screw the air police and just show common sense shows you have no common sense at all.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I'm looking into using my F550 for simple shots at work. I can see this requires qualification, insurance and CAA permissions etc.
Regarding the permissions fee it says £113 and renewal is £57.

Is this fee for each given location + aircraft for a 1 year period? I wasn't quite sure.

Thanks for any clarification.

Carapau put it perfectly. :02.47-tranquillity:

In terms of cost, you've got the £113 plus yearly renewal fees. Also the course fee of upwards £1300 and yearly insurance of minimum £800. If you're gonna operate commercially make sure you make decent money back to cover the costs.

Well, taking the 'common sense' approach means making sure you have insurance. If it is for work purposes you simply wont have insurance without a permission for aerial work from the CAA unless what you are doing is purely from a hobby point of view. BMFA insurance covers hobby use only and any other insurance will be invalidated unless you have a CAA permission. You don't necassarily have to go through one of the courses or indeed write a book aka Operations Manual, but you will need to provide evidence to the CAA that you can carry out each job safely and yes, this will be charged for each time. IF you go for a course then you only need to gain permission once per year in effect but you will also be required to write an operations manual. The common sense approach would also say that is the risk of a few hundred quid for the odd shot worth the risk of fines in the thousands, criminal records or even jail if you were involved in a bad incident? Given the CAA are now actively prosecuting drone pilots, I'm not sure that is a sensible risk.

'Man screw the air police'????? why is it that so many people who buy a drone think they can just go an fly anywhere with the right to do so if you just use 'common sense'. You wouldnt buy a car and expect to drive on the right hand side of the road, as long as you use common sense. There are rules for good reason, not to be a pain but to ensure that ALL users of the air can do so safely and those who are not wanting to be invovled ie the general public on the streets etc can also go about their business safely. By saying screw the air police and just show common sense shows you have no common sense at all.

The thing is, people who have a car license, bike license etc don't have renew it with tests and fees. This is a money making scam and registering people for big brother.

I have a 4x4 vehicle that can do immense damage if misused. A light drone has yet to even kill anyone but the big government idiots have basically taken aim at recreational drone users.

Yeah I say screw the air police, I have something called personal responsibility and that trumps the tyrannical wedge being hammered in by the CAA. As nice as they may be right now, watch how they are changing going after people for flying drones for crying out loud.

Carapau

That just shows such a lack of understanding of life in general. As such I doubt your 'common sense' is actually up to much.

In your opinion, which is like an ******, everyone has one.

Also you take the big-government line of thinking, which isn't what multirotor or flying in general is all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Seriously, look at what the government is doing to hobbyists. It isn't providing more legislation it is trying to do the opposite and there is very little as it is so what's your beef? If you want to work commercially then regulations are required and if you dont understand that then the mind boggles. Its not that a lot of regulation is required and the governments approach of 'proportionate to risk and light touch' is an excellent one. However rules are for nothing if not educated or enforced. No one is suggesting for one second that Johnny with his Hubsan x4 should be prosecuted for flying a machine in his back garden but a chap flying a Phantom down the high street is simply putting other people at risk so why on earth shouldn't the police collar him? Anyone with an ounce of common sense realizes that rules are required to some extent so to simply say ignore the police shows a complete and utter lack of any common sense at all yet you feel that you have enough to fly safely?

Your view is it's ok to regulate and clamp down on things a little bit. Let me tell you something and maybe you'll end up with some awareness ok?

When the they start this legislation off it ALWAYS starts off small. It snowballs and gets bigger as they kick it down the hill. The did the same with cars, guns, workers with a trade etc.

Do you know what the thin end of the wedge is? It's the CAA throwing laws at you and being lapped up as 'safety and necessary'

Carapau

Name one extra law that the CAA has throw at us in the last 3 years? Name one law which it is aiming to throw our way in the future- bearing in mind the move is to DE-REGULATE to a degree?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not totally up on the CAA rules and regulations, but have been following closely the actions and proposed regulations being taken here by the FAA.

While possibly frustrating to those of us who consider ourselves responsible and safe pilots, I think it's important to recognize that regulations and rules are ultimately in place for those who are NOT respectful, sensible and responsible.

WW: you bring up guns and cars, In the USA at least, lack of regulations for these products/activities would leave us a far more dangerous culture. It's not the responsible gun owner who safely hunts or goes to the gun range that the regulations target (pun intended!). It's the numb-nut who isn't aware of the lethality of his "toy," who lacks the common sense to understand that target shooting on his 1/4 acre backyard in a heavily populated area is probably not a good idea.

For MRs, again, it's not the guy who joins the local flying club to ensure that he can fly safely - avoiding the possibility of adversely effecting the public. It's the putz who flew off a balcony in midtown manhattan - only to quickly start bouncing off buildings, ultimately dropping the craft to the sidewalk at rush hour (the chance of it not hitting someone is Vegas-odds astronomical).

If regulations over-reach is the concern, it's our responsibility to challenge that in a productive manner. No one wants government over-stepping their bounds. But to suggest the Wild West was the best era of gun policy, is to ignore the changes and challenges that have presented themselves in our modern culture.

Just my .02¢

The lack of common sense among humans can be staggering, and without some guidelines, things could get very sketchy very quickly.

LOL.

DEREGULATE? Don't make me laugh, they've been regulating peoples lives since before WW1 little by little. They aren't going to suddenly make a U-turn.

They (The CAA) put the rubber stamp on those laws you've got links to in late 2014 did they now so there's a bunch right there.

I could be in a park flying a drone around and if a kid with his family wanders in closer than 30 meters when I'm coming to land I am theoretically breaking CAA law because he is not part of the flight team etc.

A car or bike could show up on public land and be within 150 meters of the multi-copter / drone etc and the same situation, CAA law is being broken. There's a hundred ways those little laws can be distorted against us.

People who don't like RC fliers can and will start to use this against us by complaining for spurious reasons. I've seen the same thing happen with off-road vehicles (Green Laning is now very restricted), firearm confiscations (member of public complains about noise while trespassing in fields), crop-spraying planes (restricted thanks to EU laws). Creating these regulations WILL make the monster become apparent.

You are from Vermont which has some of the most formidable gun rights in the Union and you speak of such things? Very strange for you to be anti-gun, but a lot of Liberals do infest that area. I reside in the Rocky Mountains during my traveling time and let me tell you there's no issues there compared to the urban hellholes that people use as an excuse to try and restrict firearms.

The only thing regulations do is hamstring the industry, they enable the cronie companies to suck up to powerful people and take power AWAY from the common man. That's all it is about ultimately, they don't want you to have it and would rather they have it or at least license the rest so they can strip you of your rights when they feel you've stepped over their line.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm in Vermont now, but I've lived all over. And I see different needs for different areas. I find it a disadvantage to paint all scenarios with one brush. I also didn't state that I was "anti-gun," just that I see the need to try to ensure that people act responsibly, whether it's guns, cars or MRs.

I'll give you a perfect example: I ride motorcycles. I have almost been killed by people driving and texting more times than I can count. LITERALLY! Lost track! I have no issue with the ban going into effect that limits people from texting while driving. It's stupid and reckless, yet people continue to do it. That's when regulations need to kick in. If all people had determined on their own that texting while driving was stupid, a And self-regulated, there would be no need for laws pertaining to it.

If everyone were smart with MRs, there would be no need to regulate. But a quick trip over to YouTube will prove that this just isn't the case.

Carapau

Which law in 2014, I didn't mention any law specifically? The only law that applies to drones is the ANO 2009 of which just 2 paragraphs pertain to drones, articles 166 and 167. These haven't changed for years now. There are no other laws relating to the CAA. Full stop end of story.

De regulating is happening which is why I no longer have to apply for every single aircraft I fly to be added to my permission.

Flydigital

Your view is it's ok to regulate and clamp down on things a little bit. Let me tell you something and maybe you'll end up with some awareness ok?

When the they start this legislation off it ALWAYS starts off small. It snowballs and gets bigger as they kick it down the hill. The did the same with cars, guns, workers with a trade etc.

Do you know what the thin end of the wedge is? It's the CAA throwing laws at you and being lapped up as 'safety and necessary'

I think most people will not support your anarchist or libertarian line. Most of us are protected by laws on gun ownership, unsafe cars, speeding, cowboy tradesmen. Keeps nutjobs at bay and exploitation under control.