CAA Congested Area Operational Safety Case for SUB 7KG and over 7KG

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The CAA have released the details of the safety case required to work in congested areas. Unless I have missed it, and quite possible given my day, it seems that this applies to all weight categories including sub 7kg. Notice can be found here.

Well we knew it was coming I guess.

One immediate question.....
My Permission specifies that the 150m congested area limitation doesn't apply (I am sub-7kg). Is this notice overruling that permission or will I be affected only on renewal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceman

Well we knew it was coming I guess.

One immediate question.....
My Permission specifies that the 150m congested area limitation doesn't apply (I am sub-7kg). Is this notice overruling that permission or will I be affected only on renewal?

Same here

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, if your current permission says that you can fly in a congested area then that still holds until renewal. I guess the question is, will that remain when you next renew? I will try and get an answer from the CAA this week.

PMaughan

Well, if your current permission says that you can fly in a congested area then that still holds until renewal. I guess the question is, will that remain when you next renew? I will try and get an answer from the CAA this week.

Hi Carapau, if you're going to be chatting to the CAA could you try and get some clarification on the weight categories i.e. if the safety case applies to all aircraft is there any advantage to staying below 7kg as part of your application?

Cheers
Pete

Buzz_Roavr

Surely this is plus 7 with an option to do a safety case if you want to push the boundaries of the current sub 7 rules?

There is ambiguity all over the FaceBook groups around this.

Cheshirecat

The information notice say's it applies to all SUAS - SUSA up to 20Kg and that if you intend to operate within the 150M Congested area limitation you need to have passed the CAOSC process (Except for a 3 Month period of grace from now, where the CAA will still accept case by case applications) so no differences for sub 7Kg platforms that i read. It says the CAA will charge a £134 per hour to asses each CAOSC case submitted (which seems a bit of an open cheque book approach) could get very expensive if the submissions are way off the standard. Hopefully people like Resource UAS will be the "accredited bodies" referred to once the base lines are established and can smooth it out. I think i am happy that there appears to be no divide at sub 7Kg, getting below this invited compromise and having looked through the CAOSC template it does not look like compromising things like battery redundancy will fit very well.
No mention of those holding existing sub 7 Exemptions, as Carapau said, if your permissions currently say OK then i assume it is.

Yep, your right. Sub 7 divide is gone. It'll take some time for old permissions to filter through but here you go:

http://dronelaw.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/new-rules-for-uk-congested-areas.html?spref=tw&m=1

Lots of confusion but ARPAS have clarified with the CAA the the existing sub-7Kg congested area exemptions are still in force. The new ruling is for 7-20kg craft. However, as others have pointed out, if you want to fly under the 50m from people rule, then you might want to apply anyhow.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=10313.0