buying or building

Hoki

I don't understand why people would buy a phantom or inspire. The risk of damage is always high cause crashes are bound to happen so wouldn't it be less expensive to repair a built one rather one that has the whole body molded so if you break or chip anything you gotta replace the entire shell. And with the apm and naza I bet you can make a drone that functions the same way. So it's lower cost to own and lower cost to maintain I think.

Ti@goo

Inspire 1 and Phantoms have there ups and downs. For me one of the downs is that, and also not knowing what it has inside and how to repair it. For example, in P3 if you damage an ESC you have to change all of them and also the central plate.

One other thing is the camera. If I want to upgrade the camera of the Inspire 1 to the X5, I have to pay 2500euros for a camera that can only be used in a drone, althought know you have Osmo, but it allways limits you.

I prefer to have a GH4 that can be used in many different ways.

Of course not everyone wants or has the time to build a drone from scratch.

sledge57

I enjoy building them too, but I'd like an Inspire 1, maybe when the rich uncle I don't have passes away and leaves me a fortune :D

Alwil

I started out with the early Phantom and that is what hooked me. Now I build all of mine
and love the building. The only trouble is a one week project can turn into months
waiting for parts- if they have them. But I have to admit the new Phantoms are
awesome with what they can do and the info they provide after the flight. I wonder
what this hobby will be like in 10 years.

I started with a phantom as well. I like building my own but have to admit anyone with a little cash can have the same or better than I can build, It's a little frustrating but I like following where this technology is going and participating in it in a small way. I definitely feel like I have earned my stripes.