Buying for first time help

Avenger

Hi to everybody,

I've owned an AR Drone 2.0 for a year now and want to move onto something more serious.
I'm considering a DJI 550 hexacopter and would like to get a fairly substantial setup from the off as I can't afford trial and error. I'd like long distance, plenty of flight time, good 2 axis camera gimbal for a go pro, I'd like FPV too

can anyone offer advice to me about what to go for

thanks

kgarrison

Define plenty of flight time?
You will want extended arms, more torquey motors, and larger props to provide maximum flight time and possible dual batteries.

Avenger

Hi thanks for the reply,

I was referring to the best batteries to buy, how many, whether they'd need duelling up things like that.

if anyone's got an example set up for the 550 with brand names and specs it would be a huge help

thanks

kgarrison

Hi thanks for the reply,
I was referring to the best batteries to buy, how many, whether they'd need duelling up things like that.
if anyone's got an example set up for the 550 with brand names and specs it would be a huge help
thanks

The answer is "it depends". Are you trying to make a super fast sport flyer? Carry a GoPro? Carry an NEX? What is best is determined by the use case. What works great for one person is not the ideal setup for someone else. I can give you a suggestion for 15 minute flight times and then find out you want to load it up with all kinds of gear and then you end up with 5 minutes. You can use a tool like ecalc to enter in all the specs of your setup and help determine flight time.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
TBS Discovery with TBS 4500mH packs will give great video from a GoPro and 12-14 minutes flight time and be easy to transport so none of the negatives of a hex with a great big dangley gimbal.

Avenger

The answer is "it depends". Are you trying to make a super fast sport flyer? Carry a GoPro? Carry an NEX? What is best is determined by the use case. What works great for one person is not the ideal setup for someone else. I can give you a suggestion for 15 minute flight times and then find out you want to load it up with all kinds of gear and then you end up with 5 minutes. You can use a tool like ecalc to enter in all the specs of your setup and help determine flight time.

I don't do acrobatics or anything daring just steady long distance flights while capturing the video, I do film some sports events but mostly that just requires steady slow flight and hovering. reliable video link to glasses or a screen is essential even over long distances,reliabilty is another important aspect because filming at sports events requires me to be above the field of play and spectators

Mojave

F550 Hexacopter

Hi to everybody,

I've owned an AR Drone 2.0 for a year now and want to move onto something more serious.
I'm considering a DJI 550 hexacopter and would like to get a fairly substantial setup from the off as I can't afford trial and error. I'd like long distance, plenty of flight time, good 2 axis camera gimbal for a go pro, I'd like FPV too

can anyone offer advice to me about what to go for

thanks

Hello Avenger,
Good to see you have had some activity on this thread. The AR drone was one of the first multirotors I ever saw. If you are new to the forum I would have a look at this 'group build thread':
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter!

If you are not especially familiar with the terminology I would refer to this link:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...Heli-abbreviations-acronyms-secret-codes-etc-!

For a start on batteries go here:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?12819-Understanding-Lithium-Polymer-batteries

Also learn how to construct effective searches there is a lot of information here.

The group build thread is now long (54 pages with 536 posts), but I was there at the beginning and it was very helpful. I am interested in building my own multirotor and after following the posts I started to plan my first build. At the time there was a DJI F550 package that was offered: it included a landing gear, a gimbal for a gopro (that could be used as an FPV system), a Naza version 2 set-up. I added a video transmitter, a diversity monitor with built in receiver, and a good radio. I powered it with nano tech 4S 6000 mAh batteries that I used as a pair (don't forget a charger). Later I bought a aeroxcraft landing gear set that acts as a platform for the GoPro gimbal and a battery holder that is relatively easy to balance. I would also suggest that you establish a rapport with one or more of the vendors listed on the forum if possible. In my brief experience building multirotors; there is no 'one-stop shop' for all the parts that you will need so there will be a whole suite of stores to look through. We stand on the shoulders of remote control aircraft enthusiasts (and their vendors); it has helped us out and affords a lot of choice. Also the most important for me is to keep a document log of what you read and the associated links that are important to your specific needs and interests.

I have moved a few things around on my F550 and got a better position for my video and receiver antennas, and added some telemetry. Flight times for me with the bare bones system were about 19 - 20 minutes, now with the fully dressed system it is 13 to 15 minutes. I have had a few crashes, especially when taking off and flying contours, as well as some hard landings. Part of the learning curve and a reason to start simple; your AR Drone may have helped you over this.

I hope this helps -

Here are some photos of my F550 rig:

View attachment 17986View attachment 17987View attachment 17988

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 163

kgarrison

I don't do acrobatics or anything daring just steady long distance flights while capturing the video, I do film some sports events but mostly that just requires steady slow flight and hovering. reliable video link to glasses or a screen is essential even over long distances,reliabilty is another important aspect because filming at sports events requires me to be above the field of play and spectators

I would beg of you to rethink flying over people. As good as these things are these days, a simple failure is catastrophic and when (not if) if happens, you could be responsible for seriously injuring someone. I have been flying quads for 4 years and if I saw one above me at a sporting event, I would get up and leave. Sorry, but that is reckless endangerment plain and simple.

For regular long flying, a quad or hex with a good gimbal will net you really good results.

Avenger

Many thanks for your really helpful reply, I'll take my time over deciding what and where to buy and your links will be of great help

Avenger

Oh I fully understand, maybe I didn't explain myself very well, I do my utmost to avoid being directly above anyone but there are people nearby and I wouldn't want to risk anything happening to anyone.

thanks for the advice though, it doesn't hurt to reiterate it at all

Avenger

Hi guys,

well I went and did it and bought my dji F550 kit (I'll post an accurate list later) but . . .
dji f550
gps
spectrum DX 7
fatshark FPV goggles

im quite a way into the build and have been pleased with my progress during the week, even my soldering has been a revelation.
ive now hit a problem though, the three pin connectors that run from the Naza flight controller (aileron etc) won't fit at the spektrum ar8000 end. They have a tiny tab at the bottom that prevents it from sliding onto the pins.

has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what's the solution

Cheers

Avenger

Hi Mojave,

many thanks for for taking the time to write such an informative post, it's been a great help.

your rig looks great, I've almost completed mine just got the final software calibrations to do.
cant wait to get it flying.

Mojave

Set-up Failsafe and Test it

Avanger - start off slow and make sure that your failsafe set-up works. This should be one of the first things you get working Very VERY IMPORTANT.