Buying advice and Hi from New zealand

hi guys ..
I come here seeking help ... I am tottally new to this hobby and really on a major budget too

I was really just about to buy this kit http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/stealth-quad-copterhttp://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/stealth-quad-copter

but then I noticed that i MIGHT need to go mikrokopter

my needs are pretty much as follow s...

I need Gps hover and the ablity that if an engine fails , or battery goes low , or signal lost it can return to start and land safely
I also need for it to do the "follow me " functions
it must be able to record a movie with quality as good as or better than GoPRo HDv2

NICE things to have ( later ) POV ground station , Maybee way points click to fly ect

If mikro is the way to go , can people advise me like a tottall package based on this

http://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/droidworx/droidworx-frames/dw-cx-4-droidworx-cx-4-airframe-kit

people also say i m ight be able to go with the scab , but somehow make arducopter work in it ..

oh my i am sooooo confused , thanks for putting up with me :)

so i guess I am asking you guys to help me get the features i like , along with the cost down

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up obsidiajGUR.. WTF is your first name would make typing a whole lot easier!

First of all welcome to MRF. What do you want to achieve? do you fly anything RC?

Dave

PS hope you enjoy your stay.

Efliernz

Pete
Definitely needs a published name...

obsidiajGUR welcome from a Kiwi.

A few basic questions. Your modeling and flying experience? Can you already fly? This is significant as I have seen a few newbees over the last year buy $10K+ setups (with no rc experience) with the belief that the gps with fly it for them... and that doesn't work. A basic quad trainer that you can and will break is the place to start... if you are a noob.

Welcome :)

Pete

Hi All ,
Well. let me say that I am a noob and never flown anything other than a kite ... I do understand about getting a triner first , then moving on .... but with my budget what i will have to do is ... Build a robot that later on I can add the camera on and so forth .. but my initial investment will have to be the one that i take aprat later and turn into my main photographing gear.. My plan is to first decide what ill ned in the end .. then buy the tX and some training software .. wait till i dont crash in the simulator , then fly the V1 of my robot, with Armour instead of gear ... then once i do not crash that .. I would like to be able to ad gear that would have all above functions ... I defintly know the GPS will n ot fly the machine , but I hope it will make the camera more stable , and allow me to film using "follow me" type situation

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thats a tall order. I am 18 months in and just about where I thought I would be in a couple!

Get your self a little Blade MXQ and start from there. Cheaper than buying a TX and sim.. and MUCH more fun

Dave

Lifter

Thats a tall order. I am 18 months in and just about where I thought I would be in a couple!

Get your self a little Blade MXQ and start from there. Cheaper than buying a TX and sim.. and MUCH more fun

Dave

Takes Daves advice on the MQX quad, beats the sim hands down and handles like the real thing - you wont regret it.
Just wish it had of been available 12 months back.

Re "and allow me to film using "follow me" type situation" As far as I know that is available only to the MicroKoptor controller, some one will correct me if I am wrong.

Blip.com handle them in Aust but not in stock anyway
http://blip.com.au/item.aspx?ItemID=294

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifter

obsidiajGUR
my needs are pretty much as follow s...

I need Gps hover and the ablity that if an engine fails , or battery goes low , or signal lost it can return to start and land safely
A Quad wont cut it here if an engine fails , or battery goes low.

I also need for it to do the "follow me " functions
MicroKoptor.

it must be able to record a movie with quality as good as or better than GoPRo HDv2
Quad will do.

Efliernz

Pete
obsidiajGUR - where are you. Time to update your details ;)

I had a look at the MQX the other day at http://www.hobbyhangar.co.nz (my local store) and they are awesome to start with. I guess I'm lucky that I have a few years (plane and heli) under my belt before the multi phase started :nevreness: I am also relieved to be a techinician by trade. The diy path for a complete noob I would think would be a challenge.

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
Wise woman!

If you are visiting... I have my own park!

Pete

Attachments

• Park April 30 1200.jpg
    Park April 30 1200.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 324

Lifter

Wise woman!

If you are visiting... I have my own park!

Pete

Hey love your Park Pete - However, according to my Mum its getting Damned cold there - So she will be in Darwin in about 3 weeks...

Great Pics on your WWW site - ah the great Waikato River, looks great...........
Cheers

Thanks ofr all the advice guys ... I know the " wise" thing to do would be to buy a cheaper machine to crash and learn on , so I am not destrying my expensive equipmen t, but I ma on such a budget that I feel Ill only have enough Money for One craft ... I was sort of hoping if I ogt a decent frame and enginines , that I could possibly add on more expensive gear to that frame later ... If that is not really the way to go , i will for sure look at the MQX , I am in Auckland , so looking ofr a hobby shop so thaks for the link !:)

http://www.hobbyhangar.co.nz/eflite-heli-kits/eflite-blh7500-blade-p-7032.html

do you thinki Id be able to add a HD camera to that one later on , or would I be basiclly buying a whole new gear once I am at the stage of no longer crashing that one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

The MQX wont be able to carry a decent HD camera.

If you buy an expensive quad first you will crash it and you will have more expensive repairs. There is a hobby shop in Auckland which is the NZ Hobby King store front, you want to talk to Leuy who is a great guy and very helpful. The address is SpeediModels 4 Cherry Lane Wairau Valley Auckland. His phone number is 4409898.

My advice to you is to get a DJI Naza quad.

There is no easy way to say this but if you are a beginner buying an expensive frame and motors is going to cost you money because without doubt you will crash. You really need to start with something that will allow you to learn all the various bits of RC and multirotors that will in the future enable you to make the right decisions about what you need for future AP you may want to do.

BTW you will also need a decent radio and batteries and a battery charger. Have you budgeted for that?

Buying high end expensive setup for an absolute beginner is a massive mistake, there are so many things you will be learning and so many different things that can and will cause you to crash.

Lifter

Thanks ofr all the advice guys ... I know the " wise" thing to do would be to buy a cheaper machine to crash and learn on , so I am not destrying my expensive equipmen t, but I ma on such a budget that I feel Ill only have enough Money for One craft ... I was sort of hoping if I ogt a decent frame and enginines , that I could possibly add on more expensive gear to that frame later ... If that is not really the way to go , i will for sure look at the MQX , I am in Auckland , so looking ofr a hobby shop so thaks for the link !:)

http://www.hobbyhangar.co.nz/eflite-heli-kits/eflite-blh7500-blade-p-7032.html

do you thinki Id be able to add a HD camera to that one later on , or would I be basiclly buying a whole new gear once I am at the stage of no longer crashing that one?

obsidianjGUR = Its a good basic trainer - Here is the size of it, grab one of these for learning, for me it beats the Flight Sims hands down and isn't half as boring...

The problem with Sims IMO is that "FEAR" is not built into it and its nothing like the real world... others may disagree...

View attachment 4363

Stacky's advice on the DJI Naza quad is an excellent solution as is his general suggestions, and someone in your other post from Auckland has offered to help you.

Quote "Buying high end expensive setup for an absolute beginner is a massive mistake, there are so many things you will be learning and so many different things that can and will cause you to crash."

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 157