Building my first Quad, Parts list...am I missing anything?

Hello guys, Im new to this site, but not new to RC. Ive had several helicopters, planes and cars (both electric and Nitro) and recently got into Quads with a couple Hubsan X4 and ProtoX (Fun)

Now Im looking to build my own hobby grade quadcopter. I eventually want to equip it with a FPV system once I get it flying. Ive put together a list of parts that I have ordered and would like some input on my list. I believe I have everything to build it, but more experienced builders may see something I missed or need to change.

What do you think?

SK450 Frame

SK450 Dead Cat Conversion Kit (when I go FPV)

Turnigy 9X Radio and Receiver

KK2.1 FC Board

SunnySky X2212 980kv 180W Motors

RcTimer SK-30A Speed Controls with SimonK firmware

Hunger 4000mah 3S 40-80C Lipo Battery

XT60 to 4x 3.5mm Bullet ESC power breakout cable

SlowFlyer 10x4.5 Props Standard/Reverse rotation

Onboard Low Voltage Arlarm

10cm Male to Male Servo Leads (10 of them)

Turnigy 330mm Battery Straps (2 of them)

10 pairs of XT60 connectors

10 pairs of 3.5mm Bullet connectors

Magnetic Prop Balancer

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
does the frame have holes for the KK controller or will you have to drill holes? more curious than anything on that.

are the SimonK ESC's much more than standard Turnigy Plush? The Plush will work fine with those motors if you're trying to save money.

The batteries don't have to be 40-80C, i use the Turnigy Nano-Tech for just about everything at 25to50C, fwiw

Other than that, it looks like you'll be all set. little detail things usually hold up a build and it's hard to pick out every little detail ahead of time.

Go for it!

does the frame have holes for the KK controller or will you have to drill holes? more curious than anything on that.

are the SimonK ESC's much more than standard Turnigy Plush? The Plush will work fine with those motors if you're trying to save money.

The batteries don't have to be 40-80C, i use the Turnigy Nano-Tech for just about everything at 25to50C, fwiw

Other than that, it looks like you'll be all set. little detail things usually hold up a build and it's hard to pick out every little detail ahead of time.

Go for it!

Not really sure about the frame, Looks like its got long slots on top for mounting something.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SK450_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm.html

As far as speed controls, I got the RCTimer with the SimonK firmware for $12 each. Everywhere I looked online, people kept saying to get ones with SimonK. Dont really know what it does, but atleast I have it now..lol

And the battery, I picked it cause It was cheap, dont really know what "C" rating is best for a quad.

jbrumberg

However you decide to mount your KK board make sure there is no metal to metal contact with the bottom of the board and the chassis. There are all kinds of ways to securely fastening the board to the quad chassis including hot glue and the KK's own shipping box. Although Bartman's suggestion is the easiest if holes and slots can match up and allows for board replacement if/when necessary.

However you decide to mount your KK board make sure there is no metal to metal contact with the bottom of the board and the chassis. There are all kinds of ways to securely fastening the board to the quad chassis including hot glue and the KK's own shipping box. Although Bartman's suggestion is the easiest if holes and slots can match up and allows for board replacement if/when necessary.

I was thinking the Nylon screws with spacers made from RC fuel tubing.

jbrumberg

I like your idea of fuel tubing for spacers, just make sure your fuel tubing "spacers" are all the same length. Ideally, the KK board should be parallel to the chassis which should be parallel to the ground. Although when the KK board self-calibrates level; it's relative to what it "sees" as level. This is all so new to me as well, and confusing too, and interesting. Good luck with your build.

I got all my parts in today and put the quad together. Took a few hours and a few youtube videos to figure everything out. I did get a chance to fly it for a couple minutes. Its pretty touchy on the controls.

I was so excited about getting it flying that I placed a order for Fat Shark Predator V2 system.

jbrumberg

Looks good. I like your rig. I may be doing something like it for my next build (Wifey "kind of" "knows." I already have the board.). I have been following your build at RCG, good stuff there. I tend to keep my build "stuff" here; it helps my head. I am a newbee too. From what I can gather one really does not need a high C battery. They are heavy and our needs do not require what a high C battery delivers from what I can gather. 25/35 C 3S and 4 S batteries seem to be the norm from my newbee perspective. They are also cheaper than the high C batteries. Good luck with the fine tuning. I am still working on my settings, but I am getting closer.

Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Actually I had a speed control fail and it hit the ground pretty hard and cracked the frame. I ordered a different frame from RC Timer, The Spider FPV. Not sure on the weight, but I get atleast 10 minutes from a 2200 3S pack and unsure of how long the 4000 mah pack lasts. I need to get a scale and weigh it.