Brushless gimbals, the latest

Macsgrafs

Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a few months (wedding plans taking over valuable flying time), what is the state of play with alexmos gimbals & DSLR's?
I have searched about & seems only usable for gopro size cameras...is this still the case or has someone got a brushless gimbal that will carry a canon 7D or such like?

Regards
Ross

ATFlyer

Freefly have tempted us with their "Movi" which looks like the mutts nuts. They'll want about £10k for it though. They claim "any camera, any lens".

If I costed out the time I've wasted on Photohigher's lousy POS I'd be able to afford one!

Macsgrafs

hahahahaha oh how I know that PH feeling so well ;)
£10k is far too much for my liking, I'm sure a few months ago I saw one for $500!

Ross

PaNt

you will see a lot for 1000-1500$ DIY..! the problem is the motors but i found some big motors..!

Lets see. :)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm currently using the Gotheli brushless gimbal with my Nex 5n under the Cinestar 6. First time I flew it in the field the wind was blowing to 20+ mph and from the ground I could see the CS was bouncing and weaving all over the place, especially in position hold. I wouldn't even have bothered to take it off the bench in those conditions with ANY standard servo driven gimbal since pretty much all of the video would have been unusable and the little bit that was needing huge amounts of post to be marginally acceptable.

At the end of the day out in the wind this is what I had after editing it down, no post stabilization was used...

The only issue I have left to resolve is that slight yaw twitch in the wind, but that's a problem with the WKM and nothing to do with the brushless gimbal.

Right now the Nex is the biggest camera the current brushless setups can carry, the main problem being the controller board can't handle the current draw that larger motors require. That's being worked on and it shouldn't be too long before mounts capable of carrying DSLR are available at affordable prices.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Thanks gents, good info. Ken that film is pretty impressive, well done.
slim, thanks for the links...that's made it easier for me.

So the alexmos board has limited O/P..as I thought, I wonder if we could take the control signal & use external ESC's????

Ross