Bnuc-s

sas

At the end of the day if you want to operate commercially you have to prove to the CAA that you are a competent and responsible operator of well built and well maintained equipment.
Your pilot qualification and ops manual is key to this before they will give you Permission For Aerial Work.

The ops manual can seem daunting but all you are doing is putting in print how you operate professionally. It's not difficult once you get stuck in.
The current BNUC-S Ground School Manual has a lot of good guidance in it now - mine didn't!

Through my work as a part time instructor at Phoenix UAV Centre, I have now trained quite a few people and helped them to get through all the stages needed to gain their BNUC-S.
Manual flight skills and 'real world' operating are an essential part of the courses we offer.
We are also about to launch a new set of courses aimed at post qualification people to encompass advanced flying, filming and photographic techniques
As yet, I have no experience of the new RPQ-S and I'm hopeful that the training is as thorough as that which we offer.

As far as I can tell, unlike most people here, I am a film and tv professional with decades of knowledge and experience who learnt to fly. Getting the shot (legally!) is everything - how I do it is irrelevant to the client for the most part.
I still use full size aircraft when appropriate - something I have done for a long time.

My main industry is made up almost entirely of freelancers and Euro USC don't have a problem with sole traders provided that you demonstrate in your flight manual that you operate as a minimum crew of two. It's insensible to do anything else. On bigger jobs with a lot of flying involved we often operate a 3 man crew - personnel hired in as needed.
This is where qualified, ethical pilots could work together for each others good if gone about the right way.

The BMFA have made it quite clear that their insurance won't cover anything that has the slightest commercial aspect to it. Far better to insure with John Heath who does cover you while you are training and for the flight test. I know it isn't cheap, but are you serious about getting into this industry?
I had to finance everything I do out of my normal trading and you don't have to spend a fortune these days to get good working kit.

You do, however, HAVE to operate legally and safely. You could lose all that you have and more if the unthinkable should happen and you injure someone.

I know no body's posted in this thread for a while but I've been going through the Euro USC's guide for the ops manual and to be honest I'm even more confused now< really don't think it offers a lot of help at all and the whole thing is just aimed at people that love writing manuals and documentation and there's a million people out there that it's just not their thing and they have absolutely no idea where to start!

They'd struggle to make it more complicated and with less guidance if they tried and to be quite honest I think it's TOTALLY over the top especially when you can go and do it without any of his as long as you don't charge someone !!!!!!

el gwiz

It seems like it is too difficult at first but once you realise that all you need to do is keep it simple it starts to flow. I've been working on my Ops Manual for a couple of months and I'm nearly finished ; try looking at some Ops manuals that are available on the internet but don't copy the content - that actually makes it more difficult. Make it your own , keep it simple ( content and layout ) and it all comes together. If you are writing the manual it indicates that you are already over the first hurdle , so you are almost there, after which you will have a lot more freedom to operate than without a qualification. I don't like the admin side of things either but it is part of being a responsible operator and will give your work added status. Good luck and good flying

I know no body's posted in this thread for a while but I've been going through the Euro USC's guide for the ops manual and to be honest I'm even more confused now< really don't think it offers a lot of help at all and the whole thing is just aimed at people that love writing manuals and documentation and there's a million people out there that it's just not their thing and they have absolutely no idea where to start!

They'd struggle to make it more complicated and with less guidance if they tried and to be quite honest I think it's TOTALLY over the top especially when you can go and do it without any of his as long as you don't charge someone !!!!!!

cbuk

Cheers for that, where did you find ops manuals on the internet, I googled it but didn't find any ??

I'm in a similar situation so could also do with any pointers if you ever find any examples...I've looked in the past but never found anything, not that I looked too hard.
I took my ground school exam back in september and really need to get cracking with my ops manual. Because it is craft specific, I've been waiting until my current build was complete. Its just about there now and have been flight testing for about 3 weeks so I really must get started on that bl**dy operations manual :dejection: . I hear what you say el gwiz about keeping it simple - easier said than done though; my brain starts to get frazzled just thinking about it. I realise it mostly common sense but trying to get it down on paper is proving harder than it should be!

el gwiz

There are a few out there but I found this one useful

http://info.publicintelligence.net/WA-SeattlePoliceUAS.pdf

It gave me some idea about what an ops manual should look like in the first place , theres a lot of stuff you can leave out. Best advice I had was to be as vague as possible in describing how I operate; if you are too detailed you risk missing something out in the flight test. Write the manual and then trim it down to basics.

Cheers for that, where did you find ops manuals on the internet, I googled it but didn't find any ??

CrashMaster

Because Andre tells everyone on the course to keep their Ops Manuals secret and are copyright no one will share even the bare bones..... I suspect it is just part of the process to try and keep the emerging industry mysterious and bound to the few who can afford corporate set-ups or are already in the game, which I also suspect is exactly what EuroUSC wants.
There is no support for this part of the process and no skeleton you can flesh out and submit.

el gwiz

This is not my experience of the two day course. My main concern was that a single operator would not be able to satisfy the requirements of the CAA or even Euro USC ; this could not be further from the truth. I was told by the Euro USC admin staff that the course was suitable for an relatively new UAS pilot which is why I went ahead. My background is not in either aviation or cinematography and I still got 93% in the test. I heard nothing about the secrecy of the Ops Manual. At any rate, someone else's ops manual would be not a lot of good to you as it is not specific to how you work; everyone has slightly different methods. It's better, and possibly easier, to start it from scratch.

Euro USC have provided me, and everyone else, with a template which is the skeleton from which you build your manual. You just delete the red text after it is finished ! The hardest part for me was designing the check lists in Microsoft Word and embedding them in the manual template, but that is only a minor glitch. I really think that they have made as easy as they can without actually doing it for you. It does take time but once it is done it's another hurdle under the bridge, so to speak. Look forward to flying legally and the end is in sight. If you need any help , just ask !

Because Andre tells everyone on the course to keep their Ops Manuals secret and are copyright no one will share even the bare bones..... I suspect it is just part of the process to try and keep the emerging industry mysterious and bound to the few who can afford corporate set-ups or are already in the game, which I also suspect is exactly what EuroUSC wants.
There is no support for this part of the process and no skeleton you can flesh out and submit.

el gwiz

I hope you received the template to work from; it simplifies everything, puts it all in the right order and makes references to the BNUC Theory book. I recently met up with someone from my course who had submitted their manual in an unfinished state; Euro USC were very obliging and made a few suggestions after which they had it approved and are now in business. It would be nice to get someone to do it for you but then you would lose a little control of the process. Just include what you do and delete what you don't. If you don't have a staff of six then they don't appear in your manual; if it's just you and a camera operator then they will also be an observer by default. It's reassuring to know that you are not the only one struggling with the manual ! Mine isn't finished yet as i still have the risk assessment page to complete but then it's off to head office for a rubber stamp !

I'm in a similar situation so could also do with any pointers if you ever find any examples...I've looked in the past but never found anything, not that I looked too hard.
I took my ground school exam back in september and really need to get cracking with my ops manual. Because it is craft specific, I've been waiting until my current build was complete. Its just about there now and have been flight testing for about 3 weeks so I really must get started on that bl**dy operations manual :dejection: . I hear what you say el gwiz about keeping it simple - easier said than done though; my brain starts to get frazzled just thinking about it. I realise it mostly common sense but trying to get it down on paper is proving harder than it should be!

CrashMaster

Having never received a template this may be my problem.... I have given up for 6 months trying having done my ground school in March.

Did they e-mail it to you or give you a link to download it?

plingboot

I'm finalising my OPs manual at the moment, based on first read through comments from EuroUSC.

I would agree that keeping it simple is the key for small/one-man set-ups.

Here's one other hint. If you look at the example 'shell' OM template you'll find that there is an awful lot of duplicated information within various sections.

I sat down and made a list of all the sections, sub and sub-sub sections, I marked up the areas of duplicated information and then compiled my own logical flow of information required.

This axed a big chunk of fuff which wasn't needed.

I've read, edited and re-read my OM countless times - with a view to reducing the info to the absolute, clear minimum. You need to be specific about certain operational procedures and certain airframe specifications, but don't over detail things which may tie you up in knots / require another flight test if you make a subtle change to your set-up.

I've been working on it for over a year now, around real work and other distractions, but it's fair to say that i've spent probably close to 100hours with various versions. With that kind of effort required it's not hard to see why many people don't want to share their OM's around.

The other reason - i believe - is that there really isn't a living to be made from aerial work alone as a one-man-band and everyone is trying to carve out a niche of their own; some of that business/niche specific info is included within the OM and as times are lean for everyone it's fair to expect that people are trying to protect what they can.

Having never received a template this may be my problem.... I have given up for 6 months trying having done my ground school in March.

They e-mailed it over, I'm sure if you've doen teh ground course and get in touch they'll send you a copy.

Plingboot,
You realise there's a year's time limit after passing the ground course to get it in by, thought I'd best let you know in case you really are close, you'd be pretty pissed to miss it after all that work!!

el gwiz

Can't remember how I got it but I spoke to Koral at Euro USC and she sent me the thing straight away, it sort of solved my problem instantly, after which it was just filling in the blanks. Whatever you do, don't give up unless it's not what you want to work at. I will have a search for the original file and send it to you if you like. If you would like it send me your e mail.

el gwiz

Thanks for the offer of assistance , happily it's all been completed and signed off and the flight ops exam passed , just waiting for the permission to arrive now. Looking back on it I don't know what all the fuss was about.

I'll happily write you an OPs manual but of course it does cost

ideal for small operations one / two man set ups