Blackmagic 4k or GH4 but from a customer's perspective not a flyers perspective?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
From a flying perspective the GH4 seems a no brainer due to size. But what about from the customer's perspective? Which of the two is the camera more likely to be asked for do you think?

kloner

Aerial DP
i think there into the black magic from an industry, but it's gonna be a battle to break them off a red at this point. We just rent em,,, but will be owning gh4 for ourselves.

bbc was just here, had to have red footage since there updating all there files from 1080 to 4k,,,, we had a gh4 and they didn't want to try it. they shot on the ground with f55 we flew reds. this was the folks from the series Africa

yeehaanow

IMO, the Blackmagic will be a superior aerial camera in terms of image, larger sensor, editing friendly codec, and most importantly, the global shutter. Of course, I haven't seen or tried the GH4 yet, but to get the same quality files out of it, you will need the expansion module, bringing the weight and price past the BM. In the "real world" it's probably not always necessary to have the higher quality files, but sometimes it's those specs that matter.

But then there's the 60p of the GH4 which some people require.
The battery situation of the Blackmagic is terrible for aerials, because to work for a whole day you need to power it from the gimbal battery, and then the internal is really just dead weight.

I think to a potential client the blackmagic seems like the more professional camera to use. There's still a stigma attached to the smaller DSLR's.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Whats the price difference and weights ?
Have you fitted it to the Z15 GH2 gimbal ?

I think these points only matter to the pilot rather than the client. I haven't bought either yet although I will v soon......

kloner

Aerial DP
the full size sensor is the draw to the reds..... that and all the dynamic range. everybody in the industry knows 4k aint the end, japan is offering 8k now so settling in to deep right now isn't a great idea.... if you have and fly a dragon right now, your king and highly in demand at 5-6k imagry

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not entirely sure the gh4 requires the bottom unit to acquire the 4:2:2 10 bit signal. Pretty sure the sdi puts out the same signal as the hdmi. But not confirmed. Personally I like the higher frame rate options in the gh4, smaller size makes for an excellent b cam. I think the compression is pretty good and not noticeable for most people. There are only 2 reasons you need a raw uncompressed file, 1 is for color grading the other is for post requirements that the average Joe doesn't even know what those are. One thing that brings me back to the possibility of the bmpc is the ability to use my ef glass. I'm not looking forward to bring limited to mft glass. Supposedly sound sucks on the bmpc. I just don't know that I wang to deal with the enormous files. And GS does sound friggin awesome but I sure would be more sold if one of these smaller cams could compete with the fs700 as far as frame rates go. In the end it's all what you shoot, not the equipment.

kloner

Aerial DP
my understanding is it records in 4:2:2 on sd, that's what we got out of it. you only need the base station to transmit it.... hdmi is only 1080p while it is recording so it needs a better connection to get the live data fed out of it and record the same time

we had the gh4 a couple weeks ago but it only got used handheld and they were aweful ambitious to strain the "new faster focus" none the less, they needed to slow down. I was DT and had a 65" sony 4k monitor, the footage was crazy clean. We are slowly switching over these 5d guys to become gh3 guys.... just not sure how east it will be converting red guys to gh4..... that's gonna be tricky unless this thing starts screaming to where people find out about it themselves....

i uploaded this in 4k.....

if you got a 4k monitor, dive in and check it out.....

I still haven't flown a bmpc, but my camera guy has gone through 2 of the bodies, blown out pixels both times..... we will soon....... same guy want BM4k so we will most likely see that too on our gimbal

Last edited by a moderator: