Big thumbs up for the cloverleaf antenna

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have been using a bog standard 25mw transmitter with standard antennas for my live video feed, but found the signal faded when the heli was more than 30m away from me. Yesterday I got 2 new cloverleaf antennas from firstpersonview (for transmitter and receiver) and promptly did a distance test...50m away from me and 60m altitude, the signal was crystal clear. I am very impressed and would recommend you upgrade if you are having problems with dodgy video reception!

Gunter.

what frequency are you guys on... I have some 900 clovers but they are massive lol might get some 5.8 tx/rx just for my ap rig

kloner

Aerial DP
5.8 doesn't even work without em

there really simple to make, the rg316 cable is about a buck a foot, the connectors are about a buck a piece on ebay and the welding wire is cheap. even better a set of guitar strings. 5.8 use really thin wire, 900 use really thick wire. rcg and fpvlab have tutorials on all of em in all the frequencies. For what you guys are talking just framing shots, any attempt will yield excellent performance.

Cloverleaf on your MR and the crosshair on the ground is my favorite now. Makes 5.8 not so LOS and it'll hold a clean picture with stuff between you and it alot better, still small

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've been out to over 1900 feet horizontally and 350 feet vertically with crystal clear picture using Immersion 5.8 gear with Cloverleaf on the vtx and an SPW antenna on the rx end. With this setup the only time I have problems with the picture is when something gets in between the two antennas at distance, at closer range it gets fuzzy but I seldom lose it completely. If I swap to the rubber duck antennas I'm lucky to keep video out to 500 feet without it starting to breakup and get static.

I just upgraded one of the quads to UHF and 1.2 for the video, I've been down on the deck out at 1500 feet with a dirt hill in between and still had nice clean video with the same antenna combo I use for 5.8. Only downside is the 1.2 antennas are about 5 times the size of the 5.8 and I've already misjudged that flying between trees which cost me a prop and one of the cloverleaf antennas that was grabbed by a Graupner prop and quickly turned into spaghetti.

This weekend I'll be trying the longest distance low flight yet with one of these on the 1.2 system... http://www.truerc.net/canada/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_31_36&products_id=189 I'd like to get 2000 feet at less than 50 feet altitude with it and I'd be really pleased if I could fly over to the other field and get below the tree line and still have video, it's only around 500 feet away but about 100 feet of that is 60 foot tall trees in between the two open areas.

Now if I could just get the WKM to play nice on the new QAV500 I'd have plenty of things to try out this weekend but unfortunately it's not liking the new firmware much.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
made it a mile on 5.8 and it never waivered. that crosshair is the bomb

i.php

it penetrated so good had me second guessing changing over

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
made it a mile on 5.8 and it never waivered. that crosshair is the bomb

i.php

it penetrated so good had me second guessing changing over

To use the crosshair you also need an antenna tracker, correct?

Right now I'm trying for the best compromise setup that doesn't require a tracker to keep the signal focused. I know I won't get nearly as much range that way but around here if you can find a half mile of open terrain that's a lot, mostly a lot of either heavy woods or densely packed buildings and not a lot in between.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
no, you just point it the direction your gonna fly, it'll go miles that way, 40-60 degree beam depending what size the reflector is (db gain). my 5.8 was doing 1000 feet to the sides and at least at least 600 feet behind it. and when it got to those areas, i was noticing a slight loss of reception and made me see the gps lock had been lost making the tracker "freeze"

They work really good in diversity or on a set of goggles. I'll be getting rid of this one shortly when i get it all converted to 1.3,,,,,, cheap

this worked really good
i.php