Best setup for RED Epic

violetwolf

Hi M, which camera and multirotor are you flying right now? Another helpful bit of info would be the types of filming that you'd like to do.

M. Weaver

I'm currently flying a GH4 w/ S1000, Inspire 1, and Phantom 2. Looking into getting the 3DR Solo as well. I'm looking to upgrade for higher end jobs, hence the RED setup. I'll probably continue doing a variety of shooting for various productions, but would like to move into higher end commercial/independent feature/music videos. Thanks for any feedback!

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Freefly's new ALTA is the most advanced copter out there. It's supposed to ship in a few weeks. Will fly an EPIC and MōVI no problem.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The Alta will be a lovely machine for sure but when flying that amount of cash I would want to know what the power on the motors is so that I know it can handle a motor out with a Red on it. On Wed we were flying a Red with a K35 lens on from a boat with pontoons in the middle of a lake. There was a very odd noise and the aircraft twitched massively so I decided to bring the machine in. She actually flew beutifully back to the pontoon. I was able to do the fault finding last night and found that a capacitor on one of my ESCs had blown so redundancy that is actually effecitive is critical when carrying this sort of cash. Personally I would prefer an octo for this and an X8 is a great config- more stable than a flat 8 in my an many other's experience.

violetwolf

Agree about the Alta. FF doing what they do best: hype

I can't see any reason to mount a camera on top... 99% of what you want to film is on the ground anyway, and the props and booms would be in the way lol. And if you do want to film upward, a tripod or a jib with a zoom lens will work just fine in most cases.

Folding props... proven to be inefficient and make for mushy control.

A Hexa flying big dollar cameras?.. agree not a good idea.

Annnnd $8500.00 !! for six motors and a frame with a flight controller? ANY other decent frame with a PixHawk and T-Motors/Avroto for less than 1/2 that. (and I'm talking octo)

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I can't see any reason to mount a camera on top... 99% of what you want to film is on the ground anyway, and the props and booms would be in the way lol. And if you do want to film upward, a tripod or a jib with a zoom lens will work just fine in most cases.
I have been doing quite a few flythroughs of commercial spaces (trade shows, AV installations) where a lot of what you can see is at eye level and above. The top-mount on the ALTA is a dream come true.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
The Alta will be a lovely machine for sure but when flying that amount of cash I would want to know what the power on the motors is so that I know it can handle a motor out with a Red on it.

Not sure this answers your question directly, but here is a graphic Freefly published on their Facebook page showing flight times, payloads and batteries. I found it interesting.

11020778_1089921701036759_858702259702537254_n.png

Stacky

Agree about the Alta. FF doing what they do best: hype

Folding props... proven to be inefficient and make for mushy control.

A Hexa flying big dollar cameras?.. agree not a good idea.

Annnnd $8500.00 !! for six motors and a frame with a flight controller? ANY other decent frame with a PixHawk and T-Motors/Avroto for less than 1/2 that. (and I'm talking octo)

I always find these sorts of attitude quite amazing to read. This is an industry of innovation and creativity yet so many have a go to attitude that lacks innovation and creativity. So negative and restrictive.
Are you aware of FF's background, history and knowledge?.
There is this thing called false economy, not sure if you are familiar with the phrase, if not look it up. If you are spending $8500 on a bit of kit for film production you must be at the high end of the industry and if you are at the high end of the industry you will also know that the expectation (rough rule of thumb) is that the equipment will have paid for itself after about 4 jobs.

With respect to the camera gimbal mounted on top, well their own promotion video shows a fantastic bit of footage not able to be done with a tripod or jib and zoom lens. The film industry has always wanted to be able to do things without restrictions and innovations in filming over the last 100 years or so keep pushing things forward. This is another one of those small inoovations which make different types of shot available to film makers. Its like the mimic product, some on here just couldnt see the point but the promo footage shows exactly the point brilliantly.

violetwolf

Aside from your condescending tone I agree with some of your points. I am in fact familiar with economics of scale. And I'm intimately familiar with FFS's history and products. I'm in engineering and product development myself. ;)

dazzab

I'm looking to purchase a RED Epic, and want to know what is the best drone for this camera?
Aeronavics makes great frames/systems to carry a Red. I'm a fan boy as it says in my signature. Made by a great team of people in New Zealand.