Beginner advice needed -- when transmitter loses power

sdg

Hi

I'm just completing my setup on a Hexa-copter with the DJI Wookong M, just testing the motors and props are all going the right direction etc... everything looks good for testing with some tape on the motors instead of the props.

However can someone please confirm its behaviour when I cut the power on the transmitter when the motors are running -- currently what happens is they speed up, and gradually to full throttle. Is this because the unit it trying to reach the required height of 20m (but can't) so it can go into it's failsafe mode?

What's the recommended way to configure the failsafe behaviour?

Thanks, Simon

olof

Osprey
The best thing to do is to watch a video of someone setting up your exact TX/RX with fail safe working correctly.

It is complicated and involves a bit of programming of your TX.

Basically you need to set up FS behavior that causes the MR to go to failsafe mode when signal is lost. And it is important to have the throttle set at about 45% when FS is invoked.

All this can be checked in the DJI assistant, by turning off your TX.

There are many videos showing how to do this, just pick the one for your radio.

Dewster

I didn't have to make any changes to my radio transmitter. All of my settings were from DJI's software. I tested all modes with the props removed to see if the mode switches worked. When I turned off my transmitter the LED indicated fail safe mode.

The only setting that I did have to make we're routing the channels to the different switches that I had on my transmitter.

Yesterday, while flying my test quad until I get my damaged Y6 back up, I landed my craft. I use intelligent cut off mode, which means that the throttle will not cut off below 10 percent unless the craft is stable and on solid ground. Before the motors stopped by themselves I accidentally hit the Return to Home Switch (been having a lot of accidents lately...) and my quad spun up its motors, took off automatically and started the RTH routine. I'll have to do a video on that. I was surprised.

swisser

Dewster, were you surprised because it wasn't what you expected? Or surprised because you don't think it should have done it?

It did because for all it knew you were still in the air. If it doesn't know you're on the ground it doesn't have much choice but to execute RTH/Fail safe when you tell it to.

Can you move the switch that triggers it so you don't do it accidentally? Or if you've lots of switches you could program a mix so that you only send the signal for Fail safe mode when you flick TWO switches.

Lastly, remember that if you do the command stick action (both sticks to bottom left) the motors will stop immediately - no need to wait until the craft has realised it's stopped flying.