Battlefield flying in France (am I legal?) in the Somme?

Dear all,

I am planning a quad battlefield trip to Northern France in February 2013.

I currently fly a x650/Wookong and a DJI 550 Naza GPS etc.

Both are controlled on FRSKY 2.4Ghz and equipped with EZ OSDs and Immersion RC 5.8 Ghz 600 mw transmitters (and GoPro Hero 2)..

I have to stress that the intention is to fly (not FPV) with the utmost respect for those that perished in WW 1 and not directly over cemeteries etc visually, but with the aid of a safety pilot (my twin brother,who is an awesome multi-rotor pilot).

Whilst I am a full size commercial pilot and instructor, my concerns are that I can find little in relation to French legislation.

The photos are not for renumeration or any recompense, just for a personal insight and recording of the tragic events, front lines etc and what remains of trenches, crater holes etc.

Does anyone have any knowledge, as the last thing I would want to do, is upset the local Gendarmes.

I would be so, so grateful for some advice....obviously I am aware of the ANO...

Regards

Richard AS

Last edited by a moderator:

Check out HAM radio licensing and amateur radio licensing beginning with your country. They typically lead you to the rules for different countries. The Futaba TFG8 Super RC system has a provision for selecting alternate frequencies specific to France!!! so that would the 2.4 Ghz band or near that. The radio video downlink would might be another concern but HAM or Amateur radio sites will provide the answers. I think 5.8 Ghz is ok for all coutries for video links. DJI Innovations would also know.